It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Belsa

Default Flea medication on 1mo old

My cat recently had 4 kittens.
She hasn't been a fantastic mother to them, but they've been getting fed and cleaned enough.
Being both and out and indoor cat the mother brought some fleas into the bed.
I told my mother it would be fine, that it would happen in the wild and we could medicate when they were old enough.
But no.
She got some antiflea spray that we have, that clearly says do not use on kittens under 12 weeks old. She sprayed it onto a cloth and wiped the kittens on their necks.
Now the mother won't do anything with them. We have them in a room with a makeshift babygate keeping them there. The mother has had no problem jumping it. But now, she simply lays outside of it. She has successfuly moved the gate to a point where the kittens could get out twice. She will not stay in the room.
My mother tried to get the flea spray off by washing them, but it did not work.
What can I do?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-09-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Call the vet!

The flea spray very possibly could poison the kittens (and the mother)! Over the counter flea treatments should never ever be used. Not on cats or kittens. Ever.

OTC flea products can, and have, killed. The only safe flea products are bought at your vet, Advantage, Frontline plus, and Revolution. Of those, I think Advantage and Frontline are safe for kittens but I'm not sure of the age.

And if the spray has not poisoned the kittens this time, (we can hope) but the mother won't take them back, they will starve to death very quickly.

You need to get some KMR (kitten formula) and some bottles and hand feed them. Until you can get the KMR, see if they will eat a little wet food. Try warming it slightly, then putting in on your finger for them to lick/suck.

I think the KMR can be got at most grocery stores, or walmart but I'm not positive about that, you may ahve to wait for a pet supply store to open.

If the mother continues to refuse the kittens, go ahead and get her spayed, as she will go into heat again rather quickly, and you will end up with more kittens.

Please do come back and let us know how things go

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-09-2009   #3 (permalink)
Belsa

Well is there any quick remedy to help clean the flea stuff off, so if the mother tries to clean them she won't get sick?

Unread 08-09-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I'm not sure what would be safe for them now.

Maybe a little baby shampoo, but you don't want to submerge them, in case they get a chill.. Maybe make a little suds of baby shampoo in your hand, rub it into the spot, then rinse it off. Do you have a sprayer in your sink? If not, rinse by holding the baby and just pouring some barely warm water over the soapy spot with a cup, then towel dry.

I'm not an expert with kittens so young I'm sorry to say, I know there are others here who know more about infants, but you need help now!

How long ago was the stuff applied?
Unread 08-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Belsa

Not more than a few hours. It isn't the abrasive kind in the little tubes. Just some light spray. At it was only rubbed between their shoulders, a very small spot.

Unread 08-09-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Okay. Now remember, I am not a vet. But I think, if they were going to have a bad reaction, it would have happened by now. I am not, can't be, positive. But I am hopeful.

but, like you say, you've got to get the stuff off them 1) in the hopes the mama will accept them and feed them again, and 2) to prevent her from ingesting any of it. Kittens need to eat every hour or two, how long has it been since she let them nurse?

Have you tried getting them to eat a little warmed up canned food?

Can you get some baby shampoo now? perhaps a 24 hour market nearby?
Unread 08-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Belsa

They haven't reacted to the medicine at all. They've been just as rambunctious as kittens are. I'm just worried about her rejecting them. She fed them for a bit less than an hour ago. And she went in there not to long ago, didn't stay long though.

Unread 08-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

It sounds like things are going to be okay, as far as the mama keeping them fed. But if you can get the spots washed with a little baby shampoo, so the mama doesn't ingest it, that would be better.

Oh, and throw that spray way!

(You can use frontline plus on the mama, get it from your vet, and that should help control the fleas enough, until the babies are 8 weeks old, when you can use the frontline plus on them, too)

be sure to come back, please, and let me know how things are going!
Unread 08-09-2009   #9 (permalink)
veronicab

Fantastic replies from acerlt. If you need to control fleas on the babies, you can apply Advantage to the mom. My understanding of the product is that it forms microgranules that spread all over the cats body, and also spread to the kittens and to the environment. Check with your vet.

Veronica

Unread 08-10-2009   #10 (permalink)
Belsa

Everything is fine now.
It occured to me, that she might be trying to ween them.
And seeing as how you can't verywell bring mice to them, she was trying to lead them to the foodbowls.
We got them some kitten food today.

Tags
age , babies , baby , birds , canned food , cat , cats , clean , dry , environment , female , flea medication , flea medicine , fleas , food , frontline , heat , hey , indoor , informative , jumping , kitten , kitten food , kittens , litter , male , mess , neutering , pet , poison , problem , search , sick , small , spay , spayed , vet , water , weaning , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links