It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
BabyBiker716

Exclamation NEED ADVICE ASAP: kittens' lives at stake

Hi, I work at a bar and last week we noticed a new "regular." A very pregnant young tabby, couldn't even be a year old. Well Saturday night she showed back up with no belly, but skin and bones. Our cook fed her some chicken. All day Sunday she never left my side when I worked the outside bar. We again fed her some chicken, half a hamburger, a hot dog, and some chicken wings (yes she's getting spoiled). We sent some kids out on a search to see if we could find her kittens. No such luck. She came back today a little thicker than skin and bones but not much, and we fed her again, and again we went searching for her kittens.

She obviously was a house cat. She has no flees, no ear mites, perfect teeth and her claws look in great condition. She's affectionate, and loving. She has no voice so when she tries to meow it's just air. Her nipples look like she's been feeding but everyone was telling me that because of how thin she was, they doubt her kittens were still alive. Is this true? They also said the first litter normally doesn't survive so taking her in without her kittens would save her. Is this true?

Our bar is closed tomorrow so I know she won't be getting fed from us. So I brought her home to feed her. If there is a small chance her babies are still alive, I'm going to go searching for them tomorrow. But I need to know if there is a chance. Otherwise, I'll get her back to a healthy state while I find her a home. If I look for her kittens, I need to know where to look for them. I tried following her to them but when people are around she just wants attention.

I really don't want a litter of kittens to die without their mother... but I also don't want to risk the mother dying if her kittens aren't alive. Someone PLEASE HELP!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
BabyBiker716

Thinking about it, I may have made a mistake bringing her home away from her babies... and if it was wrong of me, you don't need to be angry... I already feel guilty. I just need to know what to do.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Hurray for you for caring!

Oh dear, yes you should not have brought her home, because kittens that young cannot go more than an hour or two without food.

On the other hand, it is possible the kittens didn't survive.
Is she acting like she is anxious to get back to the kittens?

She was skinny possibly because she was nursing. Nursing a litter takes all of her nutrients.

No one will yell at you here, you didn't know. It's not necessarily true that a first litter won't survive, but it may be too late now and you did what you thought was the right thing.

However what's done is done. Now you've got the mama, are you going to adopt her?
Unread 08-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
BabyBiker716

I might take her back over there... perhaps she'll lead me to them. But no, she hasn't been anxious at all. In fact when I was working she didn't leave my side for 7 hours. The only time she did was when I went in to use the restroom or talk to the cook and that's when she'd play with the customer. She's wants attention at all time. I've never seen such a lovable well-adjusted cat. Nothin seems to faze her. As long as you pick her up and rub her ear she's happy. And she wasn't just skinny, she was skin and bones. She's so weak she can barely stand. If she walks more than 5 ft she falls over. As sweet and loving as she is, she looks like death in a fur ball.

Unfortunately I already have 3 very unhappy cats lol. Well my mother had 2, I had one... I had to move back in with my mother for financial reasons and now the 2 she had are very unhappy with my little guy. Adding another cat to the mix wouldn't go over well. So I have a few people who would take her in. I told them I'd go 50/50 on her first set of vet bills. I want to make sure she's happy and healthy because she's so sweet. I'm going to keep her where she's at (in the bathroom) until I (1) find her a permanent good home and (2) get her a little stronger.

I just do feel awful if her kittens were still alive. I just didn't want to risk her life if there was a good chance they had passed... and with the weather we've had and the amount of time she's been by my side, it looked that way.

My only problem now is that she has diarrhea.

Unread 08-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

In my opinion, there is no point in taking her back now. the kittens will not have survived this long, and if she was staying with you for 7 hours at work, then she was no longer worrying about kittens, meaning they were already gone.

It is smart of you to keep her separated from the other cats until you know her health status. Are the other cats up to date on shots?

Be sure to wash your hands and change your clothes after handling her, before handling the resident cats. I'm so glad you have potential homes lined up! She sounds lovely!

The diarrhea is most likely from change in diet. All that bar food, while keeping her alive, wasn't the best thing for her, I'm sure you know. and now eating a cat food, well it's all bound to upset her tummy and intestines.

What you can do is give her some probiotic for the diarrhea. Get some acidophilus capsules and open one up and sprinkle it on her food. Once a day should be enough for her.

If you can't get the acidophilus, a handy alternative is a fingerful of yogurt every day. But the acidophilus is better.

Please do keep us updated!

Unread 08-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default about the other cats

by the way, to help your cat and your mother's cats adjust to each other there are some things you can do.

Feliway plug in diffusers help calm territorial issues. Rescue Remedy can soothe their temperaments.

And the vanilla trick can make them all smell the same for a while, helping them get used to each other. This is simply putting a dot of vanilla (real cooking vanilla not perfume) on the nose and tail root of all cats involved.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , affectionate , angry , another cat , babies , belly , bills , cat , cats , claws , diarrhea , diet , dog , dying , eating , food , fur , great , happy , health , healthy , hey , home , house , kittens , litter , loving , meow , mistake , mites , night , opinion , play , pregnant , problem , save , search , small , smart , tabby , vet , vet bills , wash

Sponsored Cat Links