It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2009   #21 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
Katrine, has your friend ever experienced what it's like to share a home with a female cat in season? Newt is only a little cat so due to her being so small (and she was indoors so there was no chance of her getting pregnant) she wasn't spayed as early as Ripley was. She had one season before we had her spayed, it was awful. Our loving, playful kitten turned into a wailing, miserable kitten. She wouldn't eat and started spraying everywhere. She wowled through the night and we couldn't sleep. Perhaps you could educate your friend about the way queens behave in season, it might make her think. They certainly aren't pleasant to live with.
You did a good job! It's so strange that people just don't spay/neuter their cats to avoid problems like this. It's so simple, but some people seem careless.
I've seen some cats in heat on youtube before I got my own kitty, which was one of the reasons why I wanted her spayed ASAP. Also because I was afraid she'd find a clever way to escape.
I will surely send her some links, first I want to talk with her. I should meet up with her this coming week. I just hope she will listen to me and not think I am attacking her as a person. Thanks for caring

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-29-2009   #22 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

There will always be people that don't spay/neuter. All we can do is Educate and do it ourselves. I'm all for fixing cats both my cats are fixed.

Personally however I think there are worse things to do to a cat then leaving them intact, such as de clawing.

Drawbacks with leaving them intact and how you can handle it,

Spraying- (stud pants or outdoor catterys, note you can make your own go to home depo or a hardware store for wood,sheet medal,ct)

Roaming- (keep them indoors or in a large outdoor cage)

Fighting (only keep 1 cat male or 2 cats female and keep indoors)

Mating ( get one cat, the male a vasectomy after puberty then they can "mate" with no harm done)

Drawbacks with De clawing and how you handle it

Pain( heavy medication, another de claw for ingrown nails or Euthanasia)

Walking trouble -( euthanasia or some other exotic high cost treatment)

Not using a litter box anymore (dipper pads or you guessed it euthanasia)

biting people (euthanasia or avoidance)

amputations from infections (depending on how bad it is, get Pet assistence wheelchairs, have cat suffer extreme physical handicaps or you guess it Euthanasia)

Why so many "put downs", simple once a cat is de clawed,its that way for life for better or worse. At least if you have a tom or queen it CAN be fixed at any age for the better and if "carefully!!!" managed you can get a few cute kittens.

Both are bad/awful things to do to a cat but at least the first doesn't degrade the very physical nature of the feline species.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-29-2009   #23 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I am against both declawing and not spaying or neutering (unless you are a professional and registered breeder, who will spay and neuter the cats after a certain age). T
his topic is originally meant to discuss spaying and neutering. If you feel so strongly about bringing up the issue of declawing all the time, maybe you should start a thread about it?
Unread 08-29-2009   #24 (permalink)
Cool Cat

I was just pointing out my Opinions, I agree with you 100% on both though. I've already started threads on De clawing, I'll try to stick to the forum topics.

My disability Autism makes social things more difficult
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-29-2009   #25 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Panther (I forget your name, sorry) I think this is quite possibly the first time I agree with everything you've said, and all mostly on topic. I agree, if you haven't already, create a thread that says everything you think about declawing and stuff like that.

Although I don't quiiite agree with this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride
Mating ( get one cat, the male a vasectomy after puberty then they can "mate" with no harm done)
Do remember that the male does still have a barbed err.. thing. and I'm quite sure that can't feel good!

Last edited by AK49BWL; 08-29-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Censor.. ehehe
Unread 08-29-2009   #26 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I think the point is that spaying and neutering is done with the cat's best interests in mind while declawing is done with the owners interest in mind.

Last edited by hallan; 08-29-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling!!!
Unread 08-29-2009   #27 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
I think the point is that spaying and neutering is done with the cat's best interests in mind while declawing is done with the owners interest in mind.
Pretty much. There's definitely nothing in it for the cat.
Unread 08-30-2009   #28 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The barbed thing, is needed as it brings a female out of heat, if she mates with a cat thats fixed (can happen, not likely, but can), rather then one that vecectomyed she's libal to still have heat.

Fixing is done to help the owners too, I mean who wants a cat that sprays urine or is mean.
Unread 09-14-2009   #29 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

well i always had female cats and they all lived to old age and none of them had kittens, they were all neutered at six months, i think its very stressful for cats to go into heat all the time. All my cats have been ordinary domestic moggies, i think its very sad the way cats are being bred for a specific look, one of the reasons i like cats so much is that they have hardly changed over millions of years of evolution and remain pretty much wild animals, however sadly i think that the tendency for people to interfere in nature is very prevalent. When i see pictures of cats with no hair, short legs, folded ears etc, i think this is very sad for cats as they are being bred to make more cats with what is basically a genetic flaw, which would otherwise be a one off mutation. AS FOR DECLAWING CATS, this is a hideous thing to do to a cat and its illegal in this country, i think if you have a problem with stuff getting stratched now and then, or some cat hair on the furniture..DONT OWN A CAT. CATS NEED CLAWS BECAUSE THEY ARE CATS...

Tags
animal , apartment , attacking , baby , birth , bite , box , breeders , breeding , breeds , care , cat , cats , changed , children , clawing , cut , cute , exotic , female , fixed , foster , friends , games , girl , great , heat , hey , home , house , in heat , joy , kittens , links , litter , litter box , lost , maine coon , male , mat , mating , nail trim , nails , neuter , neutering , outdoor , pee , pet , pregnancy , pregnant , problems , puppy , queen , rare , search , sex , shelter , sick , small , smell , social , spay , spay/neuter , spayed , stories , story , stress , tale , urine , video , weaned , worry

Sponsored Cat Links