It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default Lame reasons for not spaying and neutering

I want her to experience the joy of birth and motherhood.

Pregnancy risks a cat's life and she doesn't care if she has babies or not. Copulation hurts a female cat, a male's organ is barbed. Cats do not need sex or motherhood to be fulfilled.

Every pregnancy increases her risk of uterine cancer. Unspayed females are also at risk for a deadly disease called pyometra. It's a terrible painful disease, the suffering is intense, and it is almost always fatal.

I couldn't do that to him! I want him to enjoy his life!

Male cats do not need sex to enjoy life. The desire to mate comes from an instinctual need to propagate the species. Once neutered he will be a much happier cat, and your house will not smell like non neutered male pee anymore.

I want him/her to be natural.

There is nothing natural about the thousands of unwanted animals destroyed every day, because irresponsible people won't spay and neuter.

Not to mention the untold numbers that fall into the hands of sick creeps who use this animals for their own sick games of torture and abuse.

I want my children to see the miracle of birth

Rent a video or take them to a farm to see a calf or pigs born. then, bring them to a shelter so they can see all the unwanted animals waiting for homes because people refuse to spay and neuter their pets.

He's a male, he can't get pregnant, so why should I bother?

Because he's out there impregnating all the females that other people didn't bother to spay. And you are responsible for every one of those litters of unwanted kittens.

I can't afford it

There low cost are spay and neuter clinics everywhere. Call your local humane society or do a search on line and find a low cost clinic or program. Endless kittens cost a lot more than a one time spay

I invite others to add any others I have missed.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-16-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'm glad you made this thread!

I also had a friend of mine saying she regretted having her cat spayed, coz she's so beautiful. Their litters don't always look like their mothers and even if they do, you should get a kitten at a shelter instead or a professional breeder. There is no need to start producing kittens just because you think they are cute. There are already too many unwanted kittens and cats!

I spayed mine at 5 months and she's quite happy and content with her life. She doesn't constantly feel the need to reproduce. Saves both me and her a lot of stress for sure!
Unread 08-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

She's so pretty and special, I want more of her...and/or...my friends all want a kitten from her

All cats are pretty and special. Believe me, there are a million more just as pretty and special as yours is. Tell your friends to go to a shelter and find a kitten that way.

<edit> I just saw your post Katrine, I see you've already covered this. The forum is so slow this morning I am going out of my mind in annoyance.

And this is one of the WORST:

I want a return on my investment, I am going to sell her kittens.

This by far has got to be the biggest BS I've ever heard. If you are not a bona fide certified registered breeder you should not be breeding cats.

Back yard breeders make my blood boil.

If you want a specific breed but don't want to spend a lot of money, go to a breed specific rescue. Imagine using your pet to get back the money you spent to get her in the first place. Please, don't!

Last edited by acerlt; 08-16-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
She's so pretty and special, I want more of her...and/or...my friends all want a kitten from her

All cats are pretty and special. Believe me, there are a million more just as pretty and special as yours is. Tell your friends to go to a shelter and find a kitten that way.

<edit> I just saw your post Katrine, I see you've already covered this. The forum is so slow this morning I am going out of my mind in annoyance.

And this is one of the WORST:

I want a return on my investment, I am going to sell her kittens.

This by far has got to be the biggest BS I've ever heard. If you are not a bona fide certified registered breeder you should not be breeding cats.

Back yard breeders make my blood boil.

If you want a specific breed but don't want to spend a lot of money, go to a breed specific rescue. Imagine using your pet to get back the money you spent to get her in the first place. It disgusts me.

Agreed! Even if you do get a PB cat, you have to consider it your pet and not a money maker

I got a Maine Coon and I paid 1327 $ for her, it came with papers and contracts. I went to a professional registered breeder who has a good reputation. She spent a lot of time with her cats and even bottle fed some of the kittens, to give the mum some rest. She also spayed and neutered all of her cats after a certain age, as they need to retire. And she kept the retired ones.

You should always be sceptical about getting a supposed PB cat with no papers. It could be inbred or have other health issues, and it's not a guarantee that it's PB with no papers.
Plus people who just get a PB cat to breed it for money, shouldn't have cats at all.

Not even once did I consider breeding her. I was quite the opposite. I wanted to get her spayed ASAP. I leave the breeding to the pro's. I'd rather pay 1500 $, than to encourage backyard breeders to breed kittens by buying one cheaper.
Unread 08-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I want to especially thank Acer who discouraged me when my friends want to have an RB kitten, once she knew that Earl Blue was a PB cat. I did try to look for another RB to just get him that one and only chance -- but then I changed my mind and didn't want to risk the life of his kitten/kittens, thinking there are already way tooooooo many unwanted kitties out there !! Then I encouraged my friend to adopt a kitten from the shelter - when she never did !! I remember Acer said, she probably wanted a 'free' kitten.....
Thanks Gail. Once again, you are an Acer !!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Great thread, once again... I need to send this to a couple friends on another forum... Maybe then they'll finally get the freakin hint to have their cats fixed.
Unread 08-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49BWL View Post
Great thread, once again... I need to send this to a couple friends on another forum... Maybe then they'll finally get the freakin hint to have their cats fixed.
I know what you mean. I don't even give hints, I tell them straight out. I has such a bad day about this issue today. A friend of mine is talking about getting another kitty. I told her to spay it in time and she insists that she wants her to have one litter before spaying. I just dunno what more to tell her. She doesn't want to listen to me and she says she wants her own litter.
I told her that you can't trust people out there when you want to rehome them and she tells me she will give them to friends she'll know will take care of them. But why bother when there already are thousands of kittens out there that already need homes?
She still says she wants to have her own litter and she doesn't care about what I tell her. I felt so bad about this that I just wanted to leave her right there.

I'm feeling so frustrated and I've been thinking about it all day. I don't know how I'll manage to meet her again.
Unread 08-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
I know what you mean. I don't even give hints, I tell them straight out. I has such a bad day about this issue today. A friend of mine is talking about getting another kitty. I told her to spay it in time and she insists that she wants her to have one litter before spaying. I just dunno what more to tell her. She doesn't want to listen to me and she says she wants her own litter.
I told her that you can't trust people out there when you want to rehome them and she tells me she will give them to friends she'll know will take care of them. But why bother when there already are thousands of kittens out there that already need homes?
She still says she wants to have her own litter and she doesn't care about what I tell her. I felt so bad about this that I just wanted to leave her right there.

I'm feeling so frustrated and I've been thinking about it all day. I don't know how I'll manage to meet her again.
So she won't be so easily convinced as the person I converted to not declaw her kitties anymore? try sending her this thread, and make sure she reads through it. Or other spay/neuter sites.
Unread 08-17-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49BWL View Post
So she won't be so easily convinced as the person I converted to not declaw her kitties anymore? try sending her this thread, and make sure she reads through it. Or other spay/neuter sites.
I already told her the things in this thread that suits her reasonings, but she was quite insistent about wanting one litter of kittens. She says she will spay her after one litter, but she definitely wants that litter. She already knows the benefits of spaying, but somehow it doesn't concern her when it comes to having this litter. She wants to get a kitten and then when she's old enough, she wants her to have some more kittens. It doesn't make sense to me either I'd feel like I'd have the responsibility of having them all vaccinated and spayed/neutered.
Some people are so hard headed and are difficult to convert. I will have one more talk with her though.
Unread 08-17-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

perhaps if you tell her that it HURTS the female when they mate? Those female cats aren't screaming for pleasure, they scream because a male sex organ is barbed, and it HURTS.

Perhaps you can bring her to a shelter, a KILL shelter and show her what happens to cats when people want their cats to have "just one litter"? Maybe you can tell her that pregnancy and giving birth, even one time, is more risky than a simple spay.

I'm sorry Katrine, that your friend is such an xxxxxxx about this.

I lost a friend over a declaw issue. I even offered to take the cat, he was her son's cat she was fostering for a while. I would have fostered him until the son was ready to take him back. Nope, that woman had a grudge against that cat for scratching her precious furniture. So I said, well good bye, I don't want to hear from you any more. She continued to e mail me periodically, but I refused to reply. I saw her once at walmart, I nodded coldy and turned away.

Oops, I've gone off subject. But I understand how upset you must be over this. There is no reaching some people. People just make me sick!

Tags
animal , apartment , attacking , baby , birth , bite , box , breeders , breeding , breeds , care , cat , cats , changed , children , clawing , cut , cute , exotic , female , fixed , foster , friends , games , girl , great , heat , hey , home , house , in heat , joy , kittens , links , litter , litter box , lost , maine coon , male , mat , mating , nail trim , nails , neuter , neutering , outdoor , pee , pet , pregnancy , pregnant , problems , puppy , queen , rare , search , sex , shelter , sick , small , smell , social , spay , spay/neuter , spayed , stories , story , stress , tale , urine , video , weaned , worry

Sponsored Cat Links