It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-17-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

DootThaLoop is on a distinguished road
Question Kitty Developed Tummy Pouch & Is Losing Hair In That Area, What Does This Mean?

I've recently noticed that my Kitty is getting chubby looking, I've heard people call this a "tummy pouch". Her nipples have also become very obvious, where they used to hide under her hair. I think it could be largely due to the fact that her hair seems to be thinning out across her belly and the inside of her hind legs; but even still I've seen her roll on her back before and her nipples didn't poke out that much. She's a darkly colored calico for the most part, brownish-orange and black, except a white patch on her neck and a small, round white patch on her tummy, and at first I thought her tummy fur was changing colors til I looked closer and felt of it and alot of her pink skin is exposed now with some of the thin white fur remaining in that area. She used to be slender up until between a few weeks to a month ago. One of my friends said her cat had a tummy pouch and swollen nipples when "in heat" but I don't know if this is the case, my Kitty was spayed long ago but I've read that sometimes cats can still be in heat if some of the reproductive tissues still remain after they're spayed. If that's the case, I wouldn't know anything about it because I've had her longer than I've had any other cat, which isn't long; she's maybe 2 1/2 yrs old now (I have had experience with taking in kittens for a short while before but that's it). Even if, for some odd reason, she wasn't spayed correctly, there's no way she could get pregnant because she's solely an inside cat (in fact, she seems afraid of the outside; she tends to run away when someone opens the front door). I've read the signs of "heat" and I'm not sure if this is a bad problem, it mentions certain habits that she's had ever since I adopted her, like rubbing all over random objects for no obvious reason (she seems to prefer shoes and some other articles of clothing, along with walls and doors), and she also is very "talkative" and tends to meow when she sees us after we wake up, or just randomly. So I wouldn't know whether to determine whether these are signs of being "in heat" or her normal behavior.

She got up on my lap a little while ago, so I took a photo real quick to show you. I don't have a photo of her tummy before the hair loss, but there used to be just that small, round white patch that was about as big around as the end of a soda can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit_tummy.jpg (29.7 KB, 7 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

I'm bumping this because no one has replied yet. Also, her tummy and the inside of her hind legs have become almost entirely bald now. I have no idea what's going on, but someone mentioned possibly mange to me, if that's the case how can I treat it and what will it do to her? I'm worried...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there - I'm sorry that no-one has replied to you before now, most unusual for your thread to get missed.

I just wanted to let you know that someone has noticed you, but I don't really have any experience of this kind of problem. The only thing I could think of regarding the fur loss is a flea allergy as I had something similar with my Ben some years ago but as she is an indoor cat that's probably not the reason.

Obvious question is - have you taken her to the vet, you haven't mentioned that you have so far??

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

This thread was backlogged in the spam filter.. I approved it yesterday as soon as I saw it but I wasn't sure I could add anything other than vet care.
Unread 08-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Even though she's only an indoor cat, she has had fleas recently. They probably came in on us from outside. We used Frontline and were pretty sure we got rid of the fleas but today I found a flea on me. Since we used Frontline, we're not sure whether they're still biting her or not, but she's still balding in those areas and actually come to think of it, she has been grooming herself pretty often lately. Could she be licking herself so much that she's pulling her hair out? If it's a flea allergy, is there a way to treat it? Also, is the tummy pouch thing related or is that just something that happens to cats as they get older?
Unread 08-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

It could be a number of things, flea allergy, food allergy, over-grooming. The tummy pouch, my vet told me usually happens to the females after being spayed. My kit Cami has started to develop one.
Unread 08-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

If it's a flea allergy you have to treat not only the cat but the whole house by eradicating any flea eggs that may have been laid in carpets etc by using something like Acclaim and then continue to use Frontline etc to ensure that she doesn't get any more fleas

However as Crystal said it could be any number of things - so I would urge you to take her to a vet asap to explore all causes. Especially as you say she is getting worse, she must be in some discomfort

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

To me, it sounds like a type of worm. They can cause hairloss. Go and see a vet, it's the best you can do.

Tags
adopted , allergy , behavior , belly , biting , black , care , cat , cats , female , fleas , food , found , friends , frontline , fur , grooming , hair loss , heat , hey , house , in heat , indoor , kittens , kitty , licking , loss , meow , pregnant , problem , question , shoes , small , spayed , tummy pouch , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links