It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-22-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Ferny is on a distinguished road
Default Cats Getting Fat...Help!

My two inside cats, twin brothers Smokey and Sammy, have been getting fatter lately. They're only about four years, so they shouldn't be gaining weight because they're old. They don't go outside, but they're always running through the house and play-fighting. They also don't eat very much at all, and they're not a specific breed that might gain weight more so than other breeds (in fact, they're just mixed breeds). Also, just a year and a half ago, they weighed nine pounds each, and were skinny as rails and very muscular. Now, they only weigh eleven pounds each, but their bellies are growing much larger by the week. Should I be worried about them? They really don't need to lose much weight because they're normal-sized cats, but how do I get rid of some of that fat?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-22-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Exercise!

Running through the house is not enough. You need to engage in interactive play with them on a daily basis. Games that encourage them to jump and leap and roll around.

Also buy or build them a cat tree for climbing and jumping. Or set up some kind of stairs for them to run up and down.

I have done this with book shelves.

Get a laser pen too.

One more thing. What are you feeding them, and how much? Perhaps they are eating more than you realize. The food should be one with meat proteins as the first two ingredients and no wheat or gluten or by products.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-22-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Ferny is on a distinguished road

They usually eat 'Special Kitty' cat food, which is the Wal-Mart name brand, but I've never looked at the ingrediants on that one. Just this morning, I bought them some Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula because a friend of mine told me that it helped her cat lose five pounds. I don't believe meat is in the first two ingrediants of that one, though.
Unread 08-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Feed a grainless canned food. This is species appropriate food and is not loaded with carbs as is most dry food or supermarket cat food. Your cats also need to exercise. Spend more time with them outdoors.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 08-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Special Kitty is , please don't take offense, not at all a good food. I am not saying this to upset you, only to educate. While the protein content is 34% it is loaded with carbs (make a cat fat) and a lot of unwholesome stuff.

In addition Special Kitty is constantly involved in recalls of one sort or another.

I know many people cannot afford expensive designer foods but do try to upgrade to something with a meat protein (for instance: chicken, chicken meal) as the first two ingredients.

And a combination diet of dry and canned is better than just dry. More canned than dry. And, as mentioned above, a canned food that is grain free is even better.

Unread 08-24-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Are your cats on a feeding schedule, or free-fed? If they are free-fed, they may actually be eating more then you think. Running around the house isn't really much in the way of exercise. Try getting them something they can chase, I bought mine a laser light to chase. They also have small tennis balls (in the dog section of the petstore) that they love to chase. Anything that gets them up and moving/chasing several times a day will help wonders.

Tags
addition , book , breed , breeds , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dog , dry , dry food , eating , fighting , food , free , games , hey , house , indoor , jumping , kitty , laser , love , morning , moving , play , recalls , small , upset , weight

Sponsored Cat Links