It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

babejay is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice!! pre-pregnancy and my kitten

Hi!

I am hoping to get pregnant at the end of the month and want to know about the cat litter thing and pregnancy. I've read about the parasite in cat poo and about how you should wear gloves when changing the litter. My kitten obviously stays indoors and his litter box is on a stairway landing (we are eventually going to move it to the laundry room) - I don't use gloves or a mask but always wash my hands after changing the box and change it a few times a day (it's a natural biodegradable cat litter) - but should I be more careful about it?? I don't want to effect my chances of becoming pregnant!!

PS. How often should the litter box be cleaned (the actual box as I just refill it) THANKS!!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there! Well, it is always good to be careful when emptying the litter tray as toxoplasmosis (caught from cat poo) can affect anyone I believe, not just those of us who are pregnant or hoping to become so (good luck by the way ), although it is more dangerous when you are actually pregnant. It comes from ingesting so you should be ok with just using gloves I would think.

I use clumping cat litter so just take out the clumps and the poo with a scoop several times a day and replace the litter when it gets low and thoroughly clean and disinfect the tray and scoop every couple of weeks

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks,
So should I wear gloves even when I'm not pregnant but am trying?? This is my first cat so don't really know much about raising them! Also, the litter box is on a landing as we're trying to move it downstairs slowly - should I keep it in a room instead?

Unread 08-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

From all my studies (I'm majoring in Child Development) a pregnant woman should avoid any contact with a cat's litter box. While you are attempting to get pregnant, however, wear gloves while changing the litter, and wash your hands thoroughly after. If the litter you use creates dust, use a mask.
Once you ARE pregnant, have someone else do the litterbox changes, so you do not run the risk of contracting toxoplasmosis.
Unread 08-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for that - we just got the kitten a month ago and I never used gloves but will now - the litter is all natural clumping and doesn't dust. Still, I will probably wear a mask and gloves or get the hubby to change it!
Unread 08-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by babejay View Post
Thanks for that - we just got the kitten a month ago and I never used gloves but will now - the litter is all natural clumping and doesn't dust. Still, I will probably wear a mask and gloves or get the hubby to change it!
If it doesn't dust, you don't have to worry much about the mask. Just make sure you wear the gloves! Hubby can take over for you once you are pregnant (you carry the human-baby, he handles the cat-baby!)

Tags
advice , baby , box , cat , cat's , clean , dry , kitten , litter , litter box , litterbox , natural , poo , pregnancy , pregnant , wash , worry

Sponsored Cat Links