It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default Litterbox Advice (Urgent)

My lilac point siamese "sookie" has not learned to use the litterbox still and hubby mentioned re-homing her if she doesn't learn, we are gong to have a home health care person in and out of our home for my daughter soon for normal check ups concerning her health and we need to provide a sanitary environment ya know. I have tried placing her in the litter box and she just hops out, once I placed her in the litterox and she hopped out and pooped right beside it,grrrr....most of our house is carpeted! I need advice pronto otherwise I am going to have to definitely re-home her I even got three people lined up for her already but I really want to keep my kitty.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

Marionana is on a distinguished road

Hi Sookie.

Maybe she doesn't like the type of kitty litter your using. Too little or too much could be another possiblity. They don't like perfume scents. Also, don't place the litter box next to her food. Try placing the litter box in another area where it's quiet and private. If you have multi cats, they should have their own box.

Keep us updated. Good Luck!!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionana View Post
Hi Sookie.

Maybe she doesn't like the type of kitty litter your using. Too little or too much could be another possiblity. They don't like perfume scents. Also, don't place the litter box next to her food. Try placing the litter box in another area where it's quiet and private. If you have multi cats, they should have their own box.

Keep us updated. Good Luck!!!!!!
Yes maybe it's the type of litter or too little or too much. Because I do not have scented litter, the litter isn't in the same room with food, is located where its quiet and priate, and I have a litterbox for each cat. Thanks for the advice!!
Unread 08-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

How long have you had Sookie now? You said in another post that you rescued her from the roadside so maybe she's just not used to using a litter tray. Or, as suggested, changing the sort of litter may help. Hopefully she will adjust and start using her tray soon, having seen her photo I completely understand why you are loathe to part with her and also why there is a queue of people willing to care for her!
Unread 08-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
How long have you had Sookie now? You said in another post that you rescued her from the roadside so maybe she's just not used to using a litter tray. Or, as suggested, changing the sort of litter may help. Hopefully she will adjust and start using her tray soon, having seen her photo I completely understand why you are loathe to part with her and also why there is a queue of people willing to care for her!
Exactly! She's never used a litterbox before I believe until she's came to live with us. Im going to change the litter and see if that pleases her any. Yeah I really do not want to part with her.
Unread 09-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Sookie.

I recently bought a book entitled, THINK LIKE A CAT, How to raise a well-adjusted cat..not a sour puss, by Pan Johnson-Bennett (Feline Behaviorist). She suggests you confine your cat to a small area until he's using the box successfully and is comfortable with his new surroundings. If he doesn't get the idea, than after he has eaten, place him in the box and scratch a little in the litter with your finger. Don't force him to stay in the little box, though.

She goes one to say,

If your cat doesn't appear to grasp the concept of the litter box and he urinates or defecates on the floor, collect it as best as you can and deposit it in the box. The scent of his own waste should direct him there next time.

Ask you husband to be a little more patient. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 09-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionana View Post
Sookie.

I recently bought a book entitled, THINK LIKE A CAT, How to raise a well-adjusted cat..not a sour puss, by Pan Johnson-Bennett (Feline Behaviorist). She suggests you confine your cat to a small area until he's using the box successfully and is comfortable with his new surroundings. If he doesn't get the idea, than after he has eaten, place him in the box and scratch a little in the litter with your finger. Don't force him to stay in the little box, though.

She goes one to say,

If your cat doesn't appear to grasp the concept of the litter box and he urinates or defecates on the floor, collect it as best as you can and deposit it in the box. The scent of his own waste should direct him there next time.

Ask you husband to be a little more patient. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!

Oh WOW, wonderful advice, sweetie! Thanks, going to try this!
Unread 09-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Your so very welcome!!!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed all goes well... How fortunate for Sookie your trying so hard to fix the problem.

Tell your hubby to hang in there. He's lucky he has a wife that won't give up....

Please keep us updated, thanks!
Unread 09-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Is the cat De clawed?, sense cats use their paws to cover their poop and sense de clawing is the same as physically removing all the first joints of their toes its a likely reason why the cat may be having problems

Litterbox refusal is common second to biting among de claw cases
Unread 09-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Is the cat De clawed?, sense cats use their paws to cover their poop and sense de clawing is the same as physically removing all the first joints of their toes its a likely reason why the cat may be having problems

Litterbox refusal is common second to biting among de claw cases
Nope not de clawed, neither of my cats are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Owned by Two Cats: "Sookie" & "Grig"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice , animal , art , behavior , behavior issues , biting , book , box , care , cat , cats , clawing , environment , food , health , hey , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , litterbox , lucky , moving , person , poop , problem , problems , scratch , siamese , small , type , urgent

Sponsored Cat Links