It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...




Featured Photos

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Sookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default Litterbox Advice (Urgent)

My lilac point siamese "sookie" has not learned to use the litterbox still and hubby mentioned re-homing her if she doesn't learn, we are gong to have a home health care person in and out of our home for my daughter soon for normal check ups concerning her health and we need to provide a sanitary environment ya know. I have tried placing her in the litter box and she just hops out, once I placed her in the litterox and she hopped out and pooped right beside it,grrrr....most of our house is carpeted! I need advice pronto otherwise I am going to have to definitely re-home her I even got three people lined up for her already but I really want to keep my kitty.
Sookie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Marionana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Marionana is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Sookie.

Maybe she doesn't like the type of kitty litter your using. Too little or too much could be another possiblity. They don't like perfume scents. Also, don't place the litter box next to her food. Try placing the litter box in another area where it's quiet and private. If you have multi cats, they should have their own box.

Keep us updated. Good Luck!!!!!!
Marionana is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Sookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionana View Post
Hi Sookie.

Maybe she doesn't like the type of kitty litter your using. Too little or too much could be another possiblity. They don't like perfume scents. Also, don't place the litter box next to her food. Try placing the litter box in another area where it's quiet and private. If you have multi cats, they should have their own box.

Keep us updated. Good Luck!!!!!!
Yes maybe it's the type of litter or too little or too much. Because I do not have scented litter, the litter isn't in the same room with food, is located where its quiet and priate, and I have a litterbox for each cat. Thanks for the advice!!
Sookie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Supreme Cat Lover!
 
hallan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 1,148
Thanks: 5
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road
Default

How long have you had Sookie now? You said in another post that you rescued her from the roadside so maybe she's just not used to using a litter tray. Or, as suggested, changing the sort of litter may help. Hopefully she will adjust and start using her tray soon, having seen her photo I completely understand why you are loathe to part with her and also why there is a queue of people willing to care for her!
__________________
Helen - proud human servant to Ripley and Newt
Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of - Sir Walter Scott
hallan is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009   #5 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Sookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallan View Post
How long have you had Sookie now? You said in another post that you rescued her from the roadside so maybe she's just not used to using a litter tray. Or, as suggested, changing the sort of litter may help. Hopefully she will adjust and start using her tray soon, having seen her photo I completely understand why you are loathe to part with her and also why there is a queue of people willing to care for her!
Exactly! She's never used a litterbox before I believe until she's came to live with us. Im going to change the litter and see if that pleases her any. Yeah I really do not want to part with her.
Sookie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Marionana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Marionana is on a distinguished road
Default

Sookie.

I recently bought a book entitled, THINK LIKE A CAT, How to raise a well-adjusted cat..not a sour puss, by Pan Johnson-Bennett (Feline Behaviorist). She suggests you confine your cat to a small area until he's using the box successfully and is comfortable with his new surroundings. If he doesn't get the idea, than after he has eaten, place him in the box and scratch a little in the litter with your finger. Don't force him to stay in the little box, though.

She goes one to say,

If your cat doesn't appear to grasp the concept of the litter box and he urinates or defecates on the floor, collect it as best as you can and deposit it in the box. The scent of his own waste should direct him there next time.

Ask you husband to be a little more patient. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!





Marionana is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Sookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionana View Post
Sookie.

I recently bought a book entitled, THINK LIKE A CAT, How to raise a well-adjusted cat..not a sour puss, by Pan Johnson-Bennett (Feline Behaviorist). She suggests you confine your cat to a small area until he's using the box successfully and is comfortable with his new surroundings. If he doesn't get the idea, than after he has eaten, place him in the box and scratch a little in the litter with your finger. Don't force him to stay in the little box, though.

She goes one to say,

If your cat doesn't appear to grasp the concept of the litter box and he urinates or defecates on the floor, collect it as best as you can and deposit it in the box. The scent of his own waste should direct him there next time.

Ask you husband to be a little more patient. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!





Oh WOW, wonderful advice, sweetie! Thanks, going to try this!
Sookie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Marionana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 48
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Marionana is on a distinguished road
Default

Your so very welcome!!!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed all goes well... How fortunate for Sookie your trying so hard to fix the problem.

Tell your hubby to hang in there. He's lucky he has a wife that won't give up....

Please keep us updated, thanks!
Marionana is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Cool Cat
 
PantherPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 185
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PantherPride is on a distinguished road
Default

Is the cat De clawed?, sense cats use their paws to cover their poop and sense de clawing is the same as physically removing all the first joints of their toes its a likely reason why the cat may be having problems

Litterbox refusal is common second to biting among de claw cases
PantherPride is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
Member
Kitten
 
Sookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Arkansas
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sookie is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
Is the cat De clawed?, sense cats use their paws to cover their poop and sense de clawing is the same as physically removing all the first joints of their toes its a likely reason why the cat may be having problems

Litterbox refusal is common second to biting among de claw cases
Nope not de clawed, neither of my cats are.
__________________
"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - May Sarton


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Owned by Two Cats: "Sookie" & "Grig"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sookie is offline  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice , animal , art , behavior , behavior issues , biting , book , box , care , cat , cats , clawing , environment , food , health , hey , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , litterbox , lucky , moving , person , poop , problem , problems , scratch , siamese , small , type , urgent

Sponsored Cat Links


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Cat Forum Replies Last Post
LitterBox Mystery fredntrouble Cat Behavior 22 02-03-2009 12:46 PM
Litterbox Training Your Kitten or Cat: A Simple, Effective Guide to Stopping and Preventing Your Cat from Using Your House As a Litterbox, Plus Basic admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 08:00 PM
Litterbox Training Your Kitten or Cat: A Simple, Effective Guide to Stopping and Preventing Your Cat from Using Your House As a Litterbox, Plus Basic admin Cat Book Reviews 0 09-29-2006 07:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Sitemap: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28