It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road
Default Kittens and Shots?

Hi there,

Pippa (4 months ) went for her third set of shots yesterday. She now weighs 3.2 pounds (up from 2.5 6 weeks ago). Anyway, she did really well, the Vet gave her a good check and said she was fine and she got her shots.

Now, what I was wondering was if you think kittens are a bit like babies and might not feel well or be a bit more tired after getting their shots?

She had a really busy day yesterday. She had played all morning with only a short nap and then was playing in the afternoon and was just ready for a nap but we had to interrupt her to bring her to the Vet. So then she played again when we got home for another few hours. She went to sleep at 7 and slept ALL night. Almost 12 hours straight - well she would wake up a wee bit the way they do, but would just curl right back up and go back to sleep.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with her it’s just that long a sleep seems unusual and I was thinking that maybe it’s an after effect of the shots? Has anyone else found this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Well she is awake but quite lethargic but ate and drank some. I have to go out and was a bit worried so I googled it and apparently it is normal for some kittens to be tired after the shots. I am still a bit concerned though but she won't be alone as my husband will be here.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

Depending upon if she is an indoor or an outdoor cat some of those shots may do more harm then good.

Look up feline vaccine side effects, though rare they CAN occur. I don't think its your cat though

Rabies is the only one required by law.
Unread 09-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

When my kitty had her 2nd shot, she was ok the coming evening, but the whole day after, she was extremely tired and didn't play at all. She was resting and sleeping all day and seemed a bit groggy. The vet told me this is common, as they can develop a fever the day after the shot.

It passed the next day
Unread 09-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

When my kits got their shots, the vet informed me that it was normal for them to be sleepy after. My kits both slept for quite a while after their shots. How is your kitty doing now?
Unread 09-04-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi again,

She’s doing much better now, pretty well back to normal.

I was really worried by late yesterday afternoon and so called the Vet and they too told me it was normal but if she wasn’t better by today to bring her by so they could look at her. But in the middle of the night woke me up when she was batting at moths on the kitchen window screen and managed to knock over all of what was on the window sill.

Quote:
some of those shots may do more harm then good.
Well, she’s an indoor cat but is in contact with my two other animals who are outdoor/indoor and although she got the rabies shot she doesn’t (nor do my others) get the shots required for kenneling or border crossing as we never kennel our animals and don’t plan crossing the border.

It’s great to have her back to herself, she was really a pitiful little thing when she was so tired.
Unread 09-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'm glad she's fine. I had a feeling she would be too Mine turned playful and energetic again the next day. So don't worry next year, when you have to give her shots again
Unread 09-04-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Good to hear she's okay

Tags
babies , bat , cat , fever , found , great , hey , home , indoor , kittens , kitty , morning , night , outdoor , play , playing , rabies , rare , sleep , sleeping , vaccine , vet , wake , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links