It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jenpie is on a distinguished road
Default Cat peeing

We have a young adult cat that we adopted this past spring from a breeder. She has peed outside the box since we got her, but sometimes it happens more frequently then others . We don't think she has a UTI since it's off and on and she still uses the litter box. The breeder said she also did it before we got her and she thought it was due to the fact that she was around so many unfixed cats. She doesn't have one spot she usually pees in, it's on clothes and blankets. She also never pees directly on the floor, it's if she finds a stray piece of clothing somewhere. She has ruined so many things because even after washing them several times the smell was still noticeable. She just peed on our comforter this morning, while we were still laying under it. I don't know how much longer we can deal with it because she's peeing on work clothes, baskets of clothes...etc. We love her and would be sad to see her go (the breeder said she would take her back) but I can't have her ruining all of our things. Are there cleaners that work especially well? Is there something we can add to laundry that she's peed on to help the smell come out?

We do have one other cat, they get along really well though and we have 2 litter boxes. I know the general rule is one more then the number of cats but we don't have a place for another box.

Last edited by Jenpie; 09-06-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi Jen, please take her to the vets for them to test she hasn't got a UTI. xxxxx
Unread 09-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree, kitty needs to see the vet to rule out or treat illness. When they have UTI or form crystals in their urine they often blame the box for their pain (yes UTIs and crystals hurt)

That it is inconsistent just could mean she's trying to do the right thing, but is also trying to tell you something. She can't say "It hurts when I pee" so she pees on soft things in the hopes that you will notice and take action.

Once you know for sure, retraining can start. Is she spayed?

You will need an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's miracle to clean any spots in the house.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-06-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Jenpie is on a distinguished road

How much is it to get tested? We don't currently have a primary vet because we decided not to go to the one we visited in the past since they had poor service and overcharged us. I think we would have to pay a fee for an initial visit as well so I don't know how much that is either. Don't get me wrong we would try to take her before we gave her back but I'd like to know what to expect for the price.
Unread 09-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

I don't really know how much it would cost, it's different from area to area and probably even from vet to vet within an area. If you call and ask they will probably be able to give you an estimate of the cost over the phone though. I hope it's not too expensive.

Tags
adopted , adult , art , box , breeder , cat , cats , dry , fixed , hey , house , hurt , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , morning , pee , peeing , sad , smell , spayed , stray , test , urine , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links