It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Introducing new kitten has taken a turn for the worse...

My aunt has a cat rescue, and had taken in 3 stray kittens at 2 months old. She offered me one of the kittens, and after weeks of thought, I figured I would give one of the male (all three were male) kittens a try at 4 months old. He warmed up to people very nicely, he is very affectionate, but very mischevious and can sometimes play very roughly, all in all a great cat though. His name is Frankie.

However, I have three other cats in this house, a male tabby (Gary, 8 years old and the "dominant"), and a male and female siamese (Ed, 10 years "totally submissive", and Leona 10 years "thinks she is the dominant"). Gary has never fully gotten along with the siamese cats, they have always just kind of existed together with occasional squabbles, especially with Leona.

When I brought Frankie home, things were going mostly okay, Ed prefered to ignore him, Gary didnt even hiss, but Leona has tried to attack him full-blown. This has not stopped. Some days she can be in the same room as him and not do anything, other times she just goes after him without warning. She has peed on places that he likes to lay.

Gary didnt seem to mind him much, eventually they started playing. But like I said, Frankie can get really rough, and isnt afraid of much, so Gary sometimes gets annoyed with him and walks away. But Frankie doesnt take that as a hint and often keeps jumping on him after that.

Well, today Frankie was trying to play with Gary and wouldnt leave him alone, and Gary growled and hissed at him. I dont think I have ever heard Gary hiss in his life.

We have had Frankie for about 4 months now, and I have grown very attached to him, but I understand that theres only so much I can do to make this work out.

Should I give up and give him back to my Aunt? Should I wait it out? Any advice? How do I cope with giving him up?

I just dont know what I should be doing.... Thank you for any advice.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! Don't despair, Frankie should stay, IMO. Is he neutered yet? If not, that may go a long way toward solving the problem.

Get some Feliway plug in diffusers to help with the territorial issues. How many depends on how large your home is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road

I think you should give Frankie a little more time, another couple of months and he’s going to be over his really kittenish impulsive behaviour and even if they’re all not the best of friends at least he won’t be irritating them the way he is now, he’ll have calmed down a lot.

It must have been upsetting to see your Gary hiss but it was probably because Frankie was being so rough and was just a warning. It scares me sometimes to see Pippa (4 months) play with my dog and attempt to play with Beebo (about 5 years old) because she is just SO impulsive and those little paws are so fast, she just doesn’t always remember or notice that she might be near eye or maybe scaring the other animal.

I’ve noticed though that more and more she’s just leaving Beebo alone, (Beebo will hiss and growl at her but basically ignores her) Beebo dosen’t outright hate her, they can be an inch apart and nothing will happen but there’s still occasional incidents where hiss/growl will occur. It is getting a lot better though.

When I was at the Vet last week I mentioned this to him and he said that animals that live together will very rarely outright attack each other, they will hiss and growl but very rarely leads to a real fight.

If I have to go out I make sure that Beebo and Pippa can’t be in the same room just in case.

Hope lil Frankie calms down soon.
Unread 09-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Thankyou for both of your replies!

I haven't introduced a kitten in so long, that I have forgotten how long this can take.

acerlt - I will try the Feliway things, I am open to any ideas at this point! I love Leona, but the boyfriend is especially livid with her peeing on clothes/cushions. It is such a pain to get the smell out of a chair since you cant put it in the washer. And some of her attacks on Frankie get viscious, she often tries to corner him and then jump at him. I tried the squirt bottle thing consistently, but she hasn't seemed to learn anything from it! Her attacks seem to go way past just showing whos boss. Many people said that she shouldn't be a problem when introducing a new kitten and that her "motherly instincts" might take over, man did she prove them wrong. Yes, all of them are altered.

Actually, when we first brought Gary home around 8 years ago, both the siamese cats chased him around all the time, and then he got bigger than them, and they totally leave him alone now. He is actually really good with other animals, sometimes I think if they hadn't been mean to him in the beginning that he would love to play with them.

CanadianCat - Yeah sometimes when Gary and Frankie are playing, I get worried that it's turning serious. Gary is a pretty large cat to begin with. I make sure to keep their claws trimmed because the poking an eye out thing worries me too. I'm still sure he is going to calm down, I just wish he could learn to take a hint when Gary doesn't want to play anymore.

It's nice to hear that others think I shouldn't give up on this. From inside of the situation I was thinking that everyone would tell me the best thing to do would be to give him up. The other cats haven't had any personality or behavior changes otherwise, so that's a good sign.

Last edited by tankgirl; 09-08-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Unread 09-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

AnnasGrammie is on a distinguished road

I had the peeing problem with my male cat when I brought in a rescue kitten. I tried the Felaway (I bought four diffusers) but it didn't help at all. I finally agreed to try medication. The first couple of days I didn't like it at all as it made him somewhat lethargic. But no peeing since day one and he is now back to acting like his old self. I'm very satisfied with the outcome.
Unread 09-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
It's nice to hear that others think I shouldn't give up on this. From inside of the situation I was thinking that everyone would tell me the best thing to do would be to give him up. The other cats haven't had any personality or behavior changes otherwise, so that's a good sign.
You aren't likely to get that kind of advice here. Most of us don't believe in giving pets up when confronted with problems. pets are for life. Once you adopt that furbaby into your forever home, it's forever!

Unread 09-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Default ..

Yes, I would never give up on my pets for an individual or health problem. Some people in person have told me I might need to give him back to my aunt though, because of "stress on the other cats" and "they were there first so it's not fair to them", and though there is truth to that, they do not seem to be having any issues otherwise. They eat, they drink, they (mostly) use the litterpan, and their overall personality has not changed.

Leona has been more aggressive with Frankie in the last couple of days. Basically what happens is she sees him, and chases him either behind the couch, or into a corner with violent hissing and howling, and then tries to beat him up, as soon as I run in, she runs under my father's bed. I am most fearful that she is going to hurt him. He is not allowed to roam the whole house if we are sleeping or are not home. This morning she chased him behind the couch and knocked everything and a glass lamp off of the side table, and then ran off. Usually he comes out immediately when I call him, but this morning he wouldnt come out for a while. He never does anything to bother her.

I figured it would have at least calmed down a little bit by now, and she would realize that he is here to stay, but some days it seems like it's getting worse, others better. I imagine how aweful it would be if this just always went on like this, thats why I am willing to try anything. I believe that he is going to be much bigger than her s an adult, and that maybe she will leave him be then (thats what happened with Gary and her, but she bullies Frankie more severely).

Frankie is incredibly attached to me, I think. He follows me around the house, sleeps under the blankets with me, comes up and taps me on the shoulder when he wants attention. If I'm taking a shower, he sits at the door and meows haha. I would just feel so bad to give him back to my aunt at this point, but I am concerned with Leona's well-being and his safety. I feel selfish and awful because I brought him home in the first place.

But my boyfriend yelled at her pretty loud for peeing in his clothes the other day. I told him that wouldnt help anything, and I imagine that she may be taking her scolding out on Frankie even more now. We bought a clothes hamper to quick fix that particular issue.

Ugh, that was alot, sorry!

Last edited by tankgirl; 09-09-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Unread 09-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Is Frankie neutered yet? If not, get it done now, that will help a lot.

Smell is everything to a cat, so if I haven't already suggested this, in addition to the feliway plug ins, try the vanilla trick. a dot of cooking avnilla on the nose and tail of every cat makes them al smell the same. Do this for a week or so, every day.
Unread 11-26-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

chomper is on a distinguished road

Hi I am also new to this forum. I just brought in a male kitten for my male cat, he's about 3 years old. At first the older guy Chompers started hissing at the kitten so i kept them seperate for 2 days but then they got use to each other. I've only had them together for a week and a half. Until today, they were very playful with each other and friendly. However this morning Chomper started making this crazy noises at the kitten where it seemed like he was going to eat the little guy. I had to seperate them after a very loud cat browl. I'm not sure what happened... after an hour or so I let them near each other again and they smelled and licked each other and were fine. Then Chompers went into my bedroom where the kitten hangs out and started smelling stuff and as soon as the kitten came in chomper started doing the loud crying again and they looked like they started attacking again. I seperated them once again and went into a room with chomper where chomper started making the same noises towards me growling and crying and hissing. I have no idea why...maybe the little guy sprayed or peed somewhere and chomper reacted to the smell? Then again, every cat is different.

Im scared of my kitty...

Tags
addition , advice , affectionate , aggressive , animal , attack , attacking , behavior , behaviour , cat , cats , changed , crazy , crying , dog , eye , fast , fight , friendly , friends , great , growl , growling , hiss , hissing , home , house , hurt , introduction , jumping , kitten , kittens , male , new kitten , new to this , nice , nose , personality , play , playing , problem , problems , rescue , scared , siamese , sleeping , stray , stress , tabby , territorial , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links