It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-10-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

CarolinaFilly is on a distinguished road
Question Help with kitten we found... TONS of questions - new to cats

My fiance came home from work today with a 'surprise'. In the form of a little black kitten. He (I think) was trying to kill himself by sitting in the middle of the road. Fiance thought he was dead, but saw him move when a truck went by and turned back to pick him up.

Anyway, I don't know much of anything about kitties. This little guy seems to be about 2-3 months old... I can get pics up later but first thing is what to do for him.

His eyes were crusted some, so I cleaned them and put neosporine on them. I listened to him breathing, I am pretty sure there is no infection. Anyway...

What shots do kittens get? We also have a 15 week old puppy - the cat is out in our shop, but is there anything I have to worry about being transfered? We have been washing up good when we go from kitty to puppy. I know puppy shots, given in three sets. How about kitty? What do I do since I will bet that it's not had any?

I know he will need rabies when the time comes. What is a good food? I don't know that I have ever looked at foods. My pup is on a very good, all natural no grain food. I'm assuming that there are similiar in the kitty world? Blue, By Nature, etc... reccomendations for him? Kitty food or straight to adult?

We are getting married in two weeks, and moving out shortly after. Until then the kitty has to stay away from my brother and dad who are allergic. Is it safe to keep him in a kennel like you would a dog? I'm going to be sure to let him out a few times a day for exercise. When we move he can be let in the house/yard anywhere full time.

Special things a kitten needs? Worming? Toys? Food? Any help would be great. I can learn quick enough. My sister works at petsmart and knows all the people from the shelters. I hate hearing how bad kittys odds are... so I'll give him a good enough start.

One more thing, he needs a bath. I think he might have mites? No fleas that I've seen. What can I bathe him in?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Nia
Newborn

Nia is on a distinguished road

ok first important thing is you shouldn't put neo on the eyes. Take a damp cloth and get it off asap. He has an eye cold, you will need to take a clean damp cloth with warm water and very carefully clean his eyes. You can get eye meds at petsmart/vet (meds called terramycin) not cheap but it works. He needs to see a doc asap too. They will test him for feline leukemia and feline aids and all that. As for worming they will need a poop sample to test for internal worms/parasite, external you will see in his/her poop and there are meds for that to but you want to ask your vet for age appropriate meds.
He will most likely unless stated otherwise by vet get shots when he/she sees your new furbaby. But again he/she needs to see a doc as soon as possible.
Purina kitten chow is a good start just until you can decide on one you may prefer but it is a good start for a quick run at night, as most stores are closed now.
Yes a kennel as long as the cat can walk and has plenty of room is a safe temporary option. Give him plenty of toys, litter pan, food + water and he should be good. This will also keep him from getting hurt until his eyes heal. Also his eye cold can be caught by the puppy so keep em separate for now.
Toys- catnip toys, fuzzy mice, jingle balls are all good. Eventually when you move and he can run around get a cat tree and scratching post, will save your furniture from getting torn up. Hope it helps. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have . Good luck.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hurray for your fiance for caring and saving this baby! Thank you both for keeping him.

The first thing he needs is a trip to the vet. Ear mites need a special medicine to get rid of, he probably does have fleas and worms too, all that has to be treated by the vet, over the counter products are not safe.

I am sorry am short of time now to answer all your questions at this moment, but please do not put any more neosporin in the kitten's eyes, and try to wipe off what you have put on them already, it is not meant for eyes and I don't know what kind of damage it might cause, but it is not meant to be put in eyes.

If he has an eye infection (very likely) again, he will need special veterinary ointment from the vet.

I'm sure others will be along soon to answer the rest of your questions, I was just checking in for an update on another post, but wanted to tell you about not using the neosporin, or any other human meds, and no OTC pet meds, just take kitten to the vet first thing!

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us updated!

(PS he was probably in traffic because someone dumped him there, hoping he would get hit. That's what people do. your fiance is a Real Hero!)

Unread 09-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

CarolinaFilly is on a distinguished road

Just an update. We have a vet appt in the morning. For her (I think she is a her, anyway)... guess I'll know for sure tomorrow. Either way, it doesn't matter. I think (after changing it a couple of times) we have named her Ayden. That way, even if she turns out being male the name still fits.

She has developed a sneeze, her eyes are crusty every morning and she was even foaming today. I think she has the herpes virus - from what I've read? I've really become attached to her, and we will get her fixed up no matter.

She is living in my room now, she's pretty much taken over it, lol. Other than her 'cold' she is pretty active, great appetite, settled in perfectly. She seemed to be automaticly potty trained, is this normal for kittens? She uses the litter box every time.

I will update soon with what the vet says and maybe some pictures. Life has been insane latley and the last thing I needed was another to care for, but I don't want to see her go to a 'rescue'. My sister works around some and says she would probably get put down - especially with a virus like herpes... so it looks like we have another family member. My room is a little crowded with two people, a puppy, a kitten and a business... I can not wait until next month when our house opens up!
Unread 09-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for the update on Ayden! Can't wait to hear how the vet visit goes.

Yes, cats are pretty much self training when it comes to a litter box. Even a feral cat, given a box in it's shelter, will use a litter box!

Cats are very fastidious. be sure to keep her litter box very clean, to avoid problems!
Unread 09-29-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Caki_Nanu is on a distinguished road

Yayy congrats to you and your fiance!
Please update and tell us how you kitten is, i remember how nervous and scared i was when i had my first kitten, ive never had one before and i was to bits reading about everything!
Since your kitten is pretty young make sure you get kitten food, it is really important since kittens (like babies) need special foods
As for toys, i def reccomend u get a few, i remember my kitten when she was a few mnths old loved glowing balls, i got it at target and it was like $2 ...she used to bounce play and pounce on it everytime it glowed...also get one of those feather or ribbon sticks so you can interact with him/her without getting him/her used to playing with ur hands....believe me, once they start biting the hands..boy is it hard to make them stop haha ..
as for the kennel, make sure u have a few cat cousions and a blanked at the bottom so that it doesnt get cold, and if you wont be around him/her for a few hrs per day make sure water and food is at reach...as for the kitty litter, i know mine used to poop only in the morning and use it about 2 times during the day...but all cats are different.
All in all wonderful to know you're marrying a kind hearted man, and that you are loving enough to keep it <3
Good luck

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo Da Vinci
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
art , babies , baby , biting , black , box , boy , care , cat , cats , clean , cold , color , eyes , feral , fleas , food , great , hey , home , hurt , infection , kennel , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , loving , mat , mites , morning , moving , nervous , pet , play , playing , poop , pounce , problems , puppy , save , scared , shelter , smart , stop , toys , training , vet , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links