It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

thebanshee is on a distinguished road
Default Cat suddenly started drooling profusely after hefty chicken binge

Hello,

My gorgeous five month kitten is a lively playful bundle of pure white and when I left him this morning he was as happy as ever, however, this evening he was drooling a little, (but even when he is happy he can drool and always has his tongue stuck out). Anyway, I gave him a drink of which he drank a little bit and because I has just taken a roast chicken out of the oven and he was eager for some I gave him a little. He wolfed it down even though I suspected it could still be a tad too hot and when i put some more down for him he ate loads.....then my partner, unbeknown to me, also gave him more....and some more. Since this he has started to drool profusely and has been "off" - not being playful, seeming to want to sit all curled up on his bed, not wanting to be stroked, etc and this is not like him at all as he is always ready to play chase. etc.

Please could you give me some info on what this could be - could it be that he has just ate too much, (I though cats didnt do this), or, my theory is that he could have burned his tongue! Could he be constipated.

It is so sad to see him so depressed looking as he really is a happy chappy usually.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Michelle x
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Okay. First, are you absolutely positive he did not get any chicken bones. If you think he may have gotten a bone, take him to the vet right now.

If it were my kitten, I would take him to the vet now. All that rich food has made him very sick. Kittens are very delicate. Please do take him to the vet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-12-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

You really shouldn't feed your kitten human food, they are better off with a kitten formulated food. You might want to take your kitty to the vet, his stomach can bloat, and twist, which is very dangerous. I do hope your kitty is feeling better and back to his normal self very soon!
PS: after this, when treating your kitty, buy kitty treats
Unread 09-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

thebanshee is on a distinguished road

Hya and thanks to all who responded - Zephyr definately didn't consume any bones as we had taken the meat off the bird and usually his diet is a kitten food - anyhow, the next morning I was greeted with his usual kisses and he was completely back to normal - no drooling, no vacant stares, etc and after his breakfast was charging around like normal and he is now back to his usual tricks and over active personality lol.

I did phone the vet, just to be on the safe side, and she said that he was probably a little, (or more than a little), stuffed from the binge and as I had already checked his tongue and mouth for signs of blisters or ulcers and there were none, was satisfied that this was probably the case. She also said ensure that there is a lot of water on hand as he would probably be wanting the extra because of the chicken and also because the of the excess drooling. Apparently cats can drool as a sign of hunger of feeling sick and we both came to the conclusion that, on this occasion, his binge on the chicken was rather like a child with free access to a large amount of ice cream.

No more chicken for him then lol!
Unread 09-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for coming back to update us, I've been worrying. Very smart of you to call the vet and get the advice you did.

Glad the baby is back to normal!

Tags
advice , baby , cat , cats , depressed , diet , food , free , happy , hey , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , morning , personality , sad , sick , smart , tricks , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links