It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

susanfmorris is on a distinguished road
Question Litter Box Problem - 2 Sisters

I have two female cats (from same litter). Sophie has always stayed behind and buryed Megan's #2 since they were kittens. Megan always left it on top. Now that they are 3 years old, Megan does not like that SOphie follows her around when she has to go to the bathrom for #2. So, instead of going in the box, she finds an out of the way place to do her #2. (no particular one area). Megan does her #1 fine in the box (thank goodness). We have tried to stay with her in the box, which does help when we are here (most of the time). We have tried to keep Sophie away. But lets face it, you cannot watch them 24 hours a day.

How can we get her back in the box consistently?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-15-2009   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

kalifrey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanfmorris View Post
I have two female cats (from same litter). Sophie has always stayed behind and buryed Megan's #2 since they were kittens. Megan always left it on top. Now that they are 3 years old, Megan does not like that SOphie follows her around when she has to go to the bathrom for #2. So, instead of going in the box, she finds an out of the way place to do her #2. (no particular one area). Megan does her #1 fine in the box (thank goodness). We have tried to stay with her in the box, which does help when we are here (most of the time). We have tried to keep Sophie away. But lets face it, you cannot watch them 24 hours a day.

How can we get her back in the box consistently?
Try giving them separate litter boxes. My brother's two Persian sisters also had this problem - both peeing and pooing everywhere, but a extra box solved the problem.
Good luck, Liz
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-15-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree. one box per cat plus one. That means three litter boxes, with at least one in a different place from the others.

Welcome to the forum, and do tell us more about Sophie and Megan!

(PS a feliway plug in diffuser might help with the litter box problems too, in addition to the extra boxes. The feliway may help Megan feel less territorial about the litter boxes)

One more thing. I realize from your story that Megan is probably the problem but do make sure that Sophie is not constipated, and avoiding the litter box because of that.

Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 09-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

susanfmorris is on a distinguished road
Default Megan and Sophie Litter Problems

I will try the 2nd box right away. We have a small apartment, but I will put them as far away from each other as possible. If that does not work, I will try the diffuser. I will keep you posted.

I do think that Sophie is part of the problem. She stands by the litter box and waits on Megan to finish up. Megan use to be ok with this when she was young, but now, she is not.
Unread 09-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

My cats do the same thing. Dante will actually try to bury Cami's business as she is doing it. If I see him, I simply pick him up and take him into another room with me, until I see Cami come out. If you see Sophie doing this, you might want to try simply taking her into another area of the house until Megan finishes. I did this, it took a week before Dante left Cami alone in the litterbox.

Tags
addition , apartment , box , business , cat , cats , female , hey , house , kittens , litter , litter box , litter box problems , litter boxes , litterbox , peeing , persian , problem , problems , small , story , territorial

Sponsored Cat Links