It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road
Default Lump after vaccine still there

I think I better take Pippa to the vet this afternoon. She had her last booster shot and the rabies vaccine two weeks ago. She went through one day of really lethargic behavior and then returned to her usual exuberant self. Then about two days later I noticed a small lump near (probably right at) where she got the shot. I read a bit about it online and figured this was normal, then I thought it was getting bigger but also thought it might be my imagination.

Anyway I called the vet and the assistant told me it was normal but if it wasn’t gone in 2 weeks to bring her in. Well the darn thing is still there and I’m quite panicked now. I think it’s smaller than it was, but I really can’t say since I’m always feeling it and it seems to change depending which position she’s in.

Has anyone here ever had their cat have such a long reaction to a shot?

I know I’m probably worrying for nothing but I can’t help it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You aren't worrying for nothing. You are an attentive caring concerned cat mama. By all means bring Pippa in and have it looked at. If something's wrong, you don't want to put it off. If it's fine, you will feel better.

Peace of mind is a beautiful thing.

Please keep us posted.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks, I know I will feel better. Reading things on the internet is very informative but really can be quite terrifying at times. I was shocked to find out the percentages for bad effects from the vaccines. I feel a bit bad because she did have the rabies shot and it probably is not necessary. I’m just really hoping this is an extended reaction.

I’m already worrying about having her spayed in November. We had a really bad experience with one little feral cat we took in to be spayed, we almost lost her. I know that was a very rare case (and we also have a different vet now after having heard some real horror stories about the other one and seeing with my own eyes some of what I considered very unhygenic practices in his office). I will tell you the story of little Itchy, the real nine lives cat someday.
Unread 09-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I hope Pippa is ok & the vet can put your mind at rest.
It is completely normal to worry about our little feline companions, they bring us such joy and we only want them to be healthy and happy.
I'm sure Pippa will be fine when she is spayed. I was sick with worry both times with my two, then was in tears of relief when I brought them home!
Unread 09-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Rabies vaccines ARE necessary. Rabies is alive and well in all parts of the world. It's not worth taking chances. Ask your vet about using the Purevax rabies vaccine.

It's an annual shot because it does not contain the adjuvant. The adjuvant is what makes a shot last three years, and it is also what causes vaccine site sarcoma. Purevax shots do not cause cancer.

The distemper (also known as RCCP, or RCVP) are also important to protect your kitten against all the upper respiratory viruses out there. Even if she is an indoor cat, you can bring things in the house that can infect her if she is not protected.

Please keep us posted
Unread 09-17-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Good news, Pippa is fine. The Vet said she has a “type three allergic reaction” and that she might have the lump for another two or three months (that’s long!!!) He said it’s very rare that a cat will have such a reaction (I knew she was verrrry special girl) only happens in about 1% of cases.

I also asked him about the other type of vaccines regarding cancer and in his opinion it is the injection itself not the vaccine that is the risk for cancer. Meaning the little puncture, he says that any skin wound on a cat has a chance of becoming cancerous. He also said that if she were (in the rare case) to develop cancer from the shot she had that it would be months from now and not so quickly. Well, that conflicts somewhat with things I had read elsewhere so I am more confused than ever.

The important thing though is that she is fine. I’d also like to mention that there was no fee for that visit in case anyone would else would hesitate to bring their kitten in for something like this, of course that might not be the case with all vets but ours was happy to just check her over with no charge.
The Following User Says Thank You to CanadianCat For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I'm glad everythings ok.
Unread 09-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCat View Post
Good news, Pippa is fine. The Vet said she has a “type three allergic reaction” and that she might have the lump for another two or three months (that’s long!!!) He said it’s very rare that a cat will have such a reaction (I knew she was verrrry special girl) only happens in about 1% of cases.

I also asked him about the other type of vaccines regarding cancer and in his opinion it is the injection itself not the vaccine that is the risk for cancer. Meaning the little puncture, he says that any skin wound on a cat has a chance of becoming cancerous. He also said that if she were (in the rare case) to develop cancer from the shot she had that it would be months from now and not so quickly. Well, that conflicts somewhat with things I had read elsewhere so I am more confused than ever.

The important thing though is that she is fine. I’d also like to mention that there was no fee for that visit in case anyone would else would hesitate to bring their kitten in for something like this, of course that might not be the case with all vets but ours was happy to just check her over with no charge.
Yes, any injection can conceivably cause cancer at the site, but, it is the adjuvant in the vaccine that creates the biggest risk.

I was not implying that your cat had cancer already, I was just giving you general information on vaccines.

Thanks for the happy update, I'm glad everything is okay!

Tags
allergic , beautiful , behavior , cat , eyes , feral , girl , happy , healthy , hey , home , house , indoor , informative , internet , joy , kitten , lost , opinion , rabies , rare , sick , small , spayed , stories , story , upper respiratory , vaccine , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links