It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-17-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

blacktulip11 is on a distinguished road
Default Help-my outdoor kitty has to stay inside

Hi everyone,

I have a very nice cat called Fuzzy. He is my first pet ever, and part of our family. He's a very playful, adorable animal. We got him when he was 7 weeks old and he adapted very well-now he's 1.5 yrs old.

We live in a townhouse, and here's the problem: somebody reported us to the association, that my cat has to stay inside or be leashed in the future. Actually, we wanted to keep him that way, but when he was really small, he always wanted to go out and we let him. He always came home to poop and to eat.
Now the complaint is that he bother's dogs inside and climbs on unit owner's decks...I will have an appeal in 1 week and need help/advice how to win this. I have some points on my own but would love to hear your opinion on this matter.

Here he is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01815.jpg (87.1 KB, 12 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-17-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I don't have any experience on this field. I just wanted to say that I'm all for indoor kitties and I'm sure other members will help you on advice.

I guess a cat will adjust to its environments with time and it's helpful to keep him active and play with him a lot. I hope you have some cat trees or condos.

Your cat is btw very very beautiful
Unread 09-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! Fuzzy will live a longer healthier life inside. Is he neutered? If not, that is the very first thing to do. Neutering him will go a long way toward making him a happy indoor kitty.

To help him adjust to being an indoor cat, get him a "cat tree" so he has something to climb and jump on. You can grow cat grass for him to nibble on.

He will need extra attention from you or other family members, regular interactive Game time every day, to help him stay fit and active.

A feliway plug in diffuser, and/or some rescue remedy will also help him adjust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

blacktulip11 is on a distinguished road
Default Update

Thank you for the input.

I have some more things to explain.

1) According to the latest research, 50% indoor-outdoor cats are the healthiest and happiest. I know, many of you heard stories about cats killed by outside predators, cars etc. but at least an outdoor cat was free and had adventurous life. Even vets don't agree in this point and I don't want to start a debate, I just want to do the best for Fuzzy. He's a strong, big buddy and what the book says (play with him 10-15 minutes mornings and evening) is not enough for him. He has way to much energy.
Maybe he would live longer inside, but a 20 year old, limping and blind cat with a thyro disease is not a nice sight as well. I think he should have a life with quality.

2) Even before the restriction, I played with him a lot, he never had to miss on that part. He has plenty of toys to hunt for, I have an old glove and we fight, or I fill his socks with catnip and he can roll on the floor with them. He gets plenty of love and attention, I don't just let him out and in, put food and ignore him after that.

3) No matter how much we play, if I open the door, he still wants to get out. He is depressed and started to chew on TV cables, jump on countertops etc. He became aggressive and attacks my feet sometimes, or he meows all day. I try to play with him more, but I have a 3 months old baby as well.
Overall, he survived the crazy first weeks but my heart broke how he scratched on the door...I considered giving him to a farm because I couldn't assist to making him locked up inside.

4) In case I lose the appeal, I will buy the cat tree. But no matter what, once a cat tastes freedom, no other toy or climbing tree will substitute that.

5) he did clime on owner's deck, yes-but so do birds, chipmunks and wild turkeys as well, they live near the woodline here. Fuzzy never attacked anyone or did damage on others' properties.

6) He is neutered. I'm not a breeder and didn't want him to pee all over the place. He takes medications against parazytes and has follow ups with the doctors, gets his shots and is combed twice a week.

I try to approach the problem by law. There's no leash law for cats in this state, for a good reason. I also make clear that I will pay for any damage he does, will clean up after him (though that never happens, no sandboxes here).

Most of the time he hunts for butterflies in the woods or rolls in the grass. He only eats outdoor, growing grass, he doesn't care for the one from the shop.

I was hoping someone has legal advice, but I know it's not the usual way...most of the people keep kitties as pets (inside) or useful hunters (outside), I made a mixture of both.

See how happy he was....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0255.jpg (93.3 KB, 4 views)
Unread 09-18-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Fuzzy is beautiful, good luck, and come back and let us know how you get on. xxxxx
Unread 09-18-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I hope your appeal goes well. As other members have said you may have to re-train him to be an indoor cat. Fuzzy is very beautiful. Let us know what happens.
Unread 09-18-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I was in a situation like this, but with my dog. It was an apartment complex I lived in, a few years back, where a neighbor said my dog was pooping on her stoop. Usually in a situation like this, said neighbor has to provide proof that it is really a certain pet (pictures, video..etc). Well, this lady took pictures of a chocolate lab, not a black lab mix (which is what my dog is). Needless to say, she had no case!
Are your neighbors certain that the culprit on their decks is really your cat, and not just some random cat that wondered in? That would be my argument!

Tags
adorable , advice , aggressive , animal , apartment , art , baby , beautiful , birds , black , care , cat , cats , clean , crazy , depressed , dog , dogs , family , fight , food , game , happy , home , house , indoor , kitties , kitty , legal , love , mat , neutering , nice , opinion , outdoor , pee , pet , pictures , play , poop , problem , rescue , small , stories , toys , video

Sponsored Cat Links