It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

SquirrelGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Lost Cat

Hello,

i am new to this website; this is my first post. i really need to talk with other cat owners because i am frantic and scared. You see, my 12-year-old cat has been missing for 3 weeks. He is an indoor/outdoor cat wearing a collar with an ID tag. We live on a cul-de-sac off another quiet road, and he was found outside when he was a stray kitten. When he was younger he would occasionally stay out all night - something i never let my cats do, but something he would defiantly elect to do on a warm summer night. Now that he is 12 he rambles around the yard, catches mice and sunbathes; he never stays out all night. But he disappeared in broad daylight, the morning of August 28th. I have taken every single step recommended (e.g. fliers, notifying authorities, checking shelters, etc) to locate him, and have done other things recommended as well. i talked with my vet who told me that when a cat goes missing, the normal return time is 2-4 weeks, even for a cat that does not normally roam. He told me to give it until the end of September, but i am so devastated now and i fear the worst has happened to him. i am childless; he has been my and my husband's baby for 12 years and his loss is more than i can bear. i never knew anything could hurt so much.
i listen for the sound of the bell & tag on his collar, a sound i have known for 12 years. Like Radar O'Reilly, i can hear it long before the sound becomes evident that he is on his way to the door. Now i cannot hear the slightest sound carrying on the wind, or coming through the trees - even at night when it is quietest. Not even when i call and call his name.
i wanted to ask other members if they have ever experienced something like this, and how long it was before their cat came back home. i have lost all my hope.
Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm truly sorry you are going through such a horrible time, my cats are my babies too and I always worry when I can't find them immediately.

I've not gone what you are going through, although one of my work friends recently lost her 16 year old cat Kizzy, who is on medication for various conditions, she was frantic with worry - but she was found after 2.5 weeks, a bit thinner and weaker, but none the worse for being away for so long.

It doesn't sound as though you can do much more than you are already doing and I know you must feel like there is no hope left, but there is always hope.

I do pray that he finds his way home to you - please update us or just come back for a chat if it helps at all..

Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry you are going through this. I diddn't see you mention this so if you haven't, go around and ask your neighbors to check all their out buildings, garages, sheds, even trash barrels.

Hopefully someone has taken him in, maybe expand your area you have posted fliers, and call other vets.

Praying hard for the safe return of your beloved....What's his name?

Unread 09-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

chooch is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about your cat i hope he comes home soon....jan
Unread 09-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

hallan is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry that your much loved baby is missing.

Years ago I lived in a shared student house and we adopted a little cat who we called Bob. She was an outdoor/indoor cat and went missing over the Easter holidays while I was the only one there. She turned up after about 3 days dirty, cold & very hungry. I think she had got trapped in someones garage or similar so please take Gail's advice & ask neighbours to check any outbuildings if you haven't already.

I really hope he comes home soon.

Last edited by hallan; 09-19-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Unread 09-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

SquirrelGirl is on a distinguished road
Default Thank you

My thanks to all of you for your kind words. It is comforting to know there are cat lovers out there who are helping me and giving me encouraging words. i am trying so hard to be upbeat, but i keep thinking that if he was close to home, then he would come home.
i thought he was coming home this past week. i passed out 500 "missing" fliers and almost right away a woman called me to tell me she'd seen a gray cat in her yard. She was so kind, inviting me to go to her house and look around for my cat while she was at work. She'd put out food & water, and even a Have-a-Heart trap. i had never actually met her, but there she was, a perfect stranger offering so much help to me. Two days later we did catch a gray cat in the trap, but sadly, he was not my cat. My cat has two very distinct features this cat did not have: double thumbs on his front paws and a scar on the cornea of his left eye; it looks like a small cataract. This cat had neither. i went from elation to devastation as soon as i saw the cat. But she was right - she did see a gray cat, and she gave me so much during the time it took to catch him. That is when my hope died - she was the only person who had seen a gray cat.
i have done everything i know to do: hand delivering 500 fliers, notifying local shelters and animal control, physically visiting the shelters with fliers and photographs, visiting all local area vets (with photos and fliers), and even those that were not close by were sent fliers with a letter. i put a litterbox outside and a shirt i had worn and not laundered. i walked the woods, an old tree farm and looked in every culvert and drain i found. i even gave fliers to the dump employees, and more at the local boat launch. Nothing. He literally disappeared into thin air that morning. i hesitate to think there is a predator because there are many cats in this neighborhood and no others have gone missing. When a predator finds food, it moves into the area so it has access to all the prey. The not knowing is so hard -i'm alone with all my thoughts.

My baby's name is Poptart. He has a huge personality and he is the kitty love of my life. i don't know what i will do without my baby.

You are all so kind. i am glad i found this site.
Unread 09-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

hallan is on a distinguished road

I am praying that you & Poptart are reunited soon.
Please remember that we are here for you.
I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. I have two cats who are my babies, I really can't imagine how awful this is.
My thoughts are with you. x

Tags
adopted , advice , animal , art , babies , baby , cat , cat lovers , cats , cold , collar , eye , found , friends , hey , home , house , hurt , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitten , kitty , loss , lost , lost cat , missing , morning , new to this , night , outdoor , personality , photos , scared , shelters , small , stray , thoughts , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links