It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

meljen is on a distinguished road
Default Outdoor tom to indoor tom...going nuts

Hi all,

I shared my story about our new cat 'Rex' in the behavior forum only a couple days ago. He's still a sweetheart and we love him very much. I know he's going through a lot because we've only had him since 9/11 and he was outdoors 24/7 the first weekend we saw him. He could have been outdoor longer than that. On top of that, he's NOT neutered. So I know he's having the urge to be outside AND to find queen kitties to get some lovin' with. I feel bad for him.

By the way--I DO plan on neutering him ASAP. I am waiting to be paid before the end of the month, and to hear from our local PAWS about charity neutering. It's just a matter of time and of us getting him a carrier so we can transport him.

With that said, I'm worried about his happiness. I'm not sure if he's just going through issues with learning to be indoors PLUS the stress of not being neutered, or if he's just plain unhappy. We've given him lots of toys and we try to play with him, but over the past couple days he's been growing increasingly more desparate to get outside...especially at night. He almost broke a section of our front room blinds last night, and I had to give him a little swat on the tush (NOT hard) to get him to stay out of the kids' room window at 3 in the morning. He kept me up for 3 hours past our bedtime last night. He was getting into everything and meowing--not consistently, but it was enough.

Also, when we try to play with him, he goes for so long and then suddenly stops and walks away. Then he comes back. Then he licks himself like crazy. I really hope this is just his frustrations he's going through, and not due to him being unhappy with us. This has been worse some nights than others. The night before he gave up after an hour of whining and slept with us quite a bit, but last night was pretty crazy and this morning he seems only interested in checking every window and whining.

HELP...?? Is he unhappy or just frustrated with his desires? I want to make sure he's happy with us and how we can get through this while we wait to take him to a clinic.

THANKS!

Melissa
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Please don't swat him anymore, ever. I know you said you didn't hurt him, but it won't teach him anything but to fear you and other humans, or to be aggressive with you and other humans.

And of course you don't want your kids growing up to think it's okay to hit animals.

A spray bottle can be a more effective training tool. If you use it right, he won't even know it's coming from you, all he will know is that when he does a certain thing, he gets squirted in the flank.

I understand the problem here, and your desire to keep him in until you can get him neutered. You don't want him out fighting, and making more unwanted kittens, even for one night.

Melissa, I don't think he is unhappy with you. I think he is simply reacting to instinctual desires. There may even be an intact female around making him even more crazy, and the nights he is worse is when the cat is out there, the nights that he is quiet, she is not.

I haven't got any wise advice, except perhaps get some Rescue Remedy, that may help keep him a bit calmer. Hang in there with him! The end of the month is coming soon, and I hope you can get him neutered in the next few days.

Perhaps someone else will have something a little more helpful. But please do get a spray bottle for things like stopping him from breaking the blinds. Just be sure to avoid his face , and teach the children that the spray bottle is to be used by adults only.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi Melissa
I think much of his restlessness will be due to him not being neutered & wanting to go out to chase the neighbourhood females. It will also take him a bit of time to settle into his new home.
I have two indoor cats who still sometimes wake us up during the night (they're 5 & 2, one of them scared the life out of my husband last night by jumping on his chest while he was asleep!) so I try to tire them out as much as possible during the evening by playing with them.
I'm guessing it's not possible to keep him out of your & your childrens' rooms?
BTW, my cats will often stop suddenly during a game & walk away only to come back a few minutes later to ask why I've stopped playing with them!
I hope your able to get him neutered soon, I'm sure this will help.
Unread 09-23-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Yeah I hope I can get him neutered soon too. I feel really sorry for him, I know he must be miserable (I know I definitely understand crazy hormones!). He and I spent some time napping on hubby's and my bed today. He really wanted love and cuddle time. I know he's trying really hard to be good. I am positive there is an intact female cat around, there's a lady behind us that has a bunch of cats. In this neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised if those cats aren't fixed at all. :-/

Wish me luck. He really is a sweetheart. I love his tiny voice.
Unread 09-24-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

I'm hoping too that Rex will settle down soon Melissa - just be patient, you will find he is a lot different when he has been neutered! As Gail said, I don't think he is unhappy with you - it's just the male lust instinct kicking in

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 09-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Well I've been calling PAWS and found out that we can't get in to get him neutered until NOVEMBER...wow. I wasn't frustrated though, I know they're booked because it's a charity. So now I'm going to be calling a Feral Cat shelter on Monday to see if he can get neutered there soon.

Anyway, I'm wondering if part of his problem at night is the fact that he was keeping himself very busy during the day outside. I have no idea if he was purely an outdoor cat or not when we found him. But now he sleeps most of the day. I don't know if that should be normal whether or not he's fixed. I always think things are going to be fine because he's quiet at night now while we're still up, but then the MOMENT we turn out the lights and head to our room, he endlessly goes from window to window nearly breaking the blinds to see outside and pounces on our bed and meows every 5 minutes. I know a lot of it is his tom cat problem. I want to get him neutered SO soon. I am worried about his happiness and my lack of sleep.

I also feel bad about last night specifically because I have started to use a water bottle to catch him when he gets in the windows, but he always manages to see me when I squirt him. He sort of pouted after one point in the night and didn't come back in our room to sleep with us--as far as I know.

This is SO hard for me. Every other cat I've ever owned in my life was an indoor/outdoor cat so it was easier to deal with their urges to go outside. But I don't want him hurt the way our other cats were...or taken off for science experiments like we believe two of them were. I can't stand the thought.

Please keep Rex and I in your prayers--it's very hard for both of us!
Unread 09-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You are doing a terrific job, and I am so proud of you. I know it's not easy. Yes, his sleeping all day and prowling at night is normal Tom behavior.

Wake him up when he's sleeping during the day and get him involved in a game, every now and then. Once he's neutered (it takes a few weeks for the hormones to completely leave his body) he will gradually adapt to your lifestyle and sleep more at night.

don't feel bad about the spray bottle, cats don't really hold grudges like that. My cats who react to the spray bottle (only two do) now think it is a fun game to do something naughty, just for the fun of seeing me have to stop whatever I am doing and pick up the spray bottle. Then they run away kicking up their heels, and I know they are saying "haha, made you do it!" hehe

Can you leave the blinds raised a bit, so he can look out the windows without destroying them?

A feliway plug in or two might help, they are expensive though. Rescue Remedy also might be a help, and that's relatively cheap.
Unread 09-27-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Default ps

I'm sorry about the loss of your other cats. Yes, cats being stolen for laboratories, or for some sick mind's abuse games, are my biggest fear for cats who are allowed out unsupervised. Mine never will be free roaming cats.

(they are harness trained and I take them out in a fenced yard, supervised)

There are other dangers as well. IN another forum there was someone who was new to cats and was trying to decide whether to let the cat out or not since he kept running away, and would be gone for hours, or sometimes days. I advised against it of course. Their cat crawled up into their car engine block one day. I won't give you any details but the cat did not survive.
Unread 09-27-2009   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Oh my gosh that is so sad. Yeah I think more and more that since cats have been bred down from wild larger cats over centuries and centuries, that they will always have certain big cat instincts just like a dog has a little wolf in them. But because they are bred to be PETS that they have a much smaller chance at surviving on their own than a real wild animal will. They are more like children.

Anyway, as for the blinds and feliway/rescue remedy--last night we decided to leave the curtains closed and the blinds all halfway up and Rex did better. I still want to train him that when the blinds are DOWN, he gets sprayed if he crawls through them. He sort of showed me that he knew that when he was looking at our bedroom blinds and kept looking back at me. But last night was much easier. He did his usual anxious rotation between all of the windows, but he spent a lot of his time sitting in ours and watching the night. He got really meowy a few times and would pounce on us, but both hubby and I would use a firm tone and tell him NO...and one time I picked up the spray bottle and he jumped down and got quiet. He actually made a sound at one point like a tiny 'please?' like a child would do. It was so funny.

He DID do his boy pee on a pillow I left out for him last night. He likes laying on hard surfaces like our end tables and night stand, and I think he was just used to that and didn't like the pillow in his spot. I keep reminding myself that his hormones must be like what I go through once a month, lol. ^^ He also left a huge mess on his back legs when he tried to use the litter box, but we switched to a natural clumping/pine litter rather than the clay he was used to, and it smelled different and I think that startled him when he dug in it. I've never seen him leave the litter box so fast. Thank goodness I bought some fresh pet wipes yesterday, lol. ^^

...and thank goodness I have two little kids I've had to deal with similar accidents from! Or else I think this whole situation would be a lot more stressful for me.

Thanks for all of the support. I think I do want to try to look for a food mix in or rescue remedy soon, so that we can use it until he gets neutered--and I think it would be good to have on hand when he needs it.

(hugs to all) -melissa
Unread 09-27-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Aw, Melissa, it sounds like you are doing great! I understand your desire to train Rex not to bother the blinds when they are fully down, but think you are wise to wait until he is neutered and not driven by hormones...something we all know is bigger than all of us.

I kind of giggled about him peeing on the pillow, you better throw it away, though. I hope you can get him neutered soon, before the house peeing becomes more frequent. This is a problem with intact males when they get frustrated.

Feliway is a plug in diffuser that releases synthetic cat pheromones into the air, it helps with territorial issues and anxiety. Rescue Remedy (get the one for pets, it contains no alcohol) can be added to his food or water, or just rubbed on his little face.

Thanks for keeping us updated, and thank you, again, for taking Rex in....and for understanding his needs so well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
advice , aggressive , animal , anxiety , apartment , baby , beds , behavior , birthday , black , blue eyes , box , boy , canned food , car , care , cat , cats , children , clean , color , computer , crazy , crying , eyes , fast , female , fighting , food , free , fun , game , games , great , happy , hey , home , house , hurt , kittens , loss , lost , mat , meowing , moving , neuter , neutering , new home , new to this , night , opinion , pee , peeing , play , playing , prayers , problem , problems , profile , queen , rescue , scared , seattle , shelter , sick , sleeping , small , smart , stop , stories , story , stress , territorial , training , transition , water , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links