It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Inspired
katlady is on a distinguished road
Default Need input about feeding cats

I have been reading a book called "Your Cat--Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life" by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins,DVM. She states cats don't need dry food and can live healthier with 2-3 meals of canned food(meat as the first ingredient) or raw meat. In the wild the cat doesn't "graze" but catches food 2-3 times daily, eats and rests. The dry food leads to obesity because of the carbs cats aren't meant to have--they are protein animals. Now I agree with her re: the 2-3 feedings and I'm willing to give up the dry food. What are your opinions and thoughts? Has any one heard of this vet? I know food has been a discussion before but I need a refresher. Thanks!!!
Katlady with Sahara, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel, Uzziel, Uriel, Seraphina, and Ambriel, Callie, Kira, Annabelle, Grayson and Speckles,Angel2, Jezzie, Delihlia, Bathsheba, Houdini, Tempe, Chandler, Peavey, and Mesa, Stevie Ray, Myeta, Cady, Misty, Sandy,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-23-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Poor quality dry food can cause obesity, because the cat has to eat more to get the proper amount of nutrients. I don't trust anyone who makes blanket or extreme statements like "no dry food at all".

My cats eat both, some eat more dry (high quality) some get more canned, and none are over weight. They are not overweight because I schedule feed, and see that they get plenty of exercise by playing interactive Games with them every night.

Raw diets can be very dangerous if not done right. a lot of people who promote raw feeding never mention that. They make it sound as though you just have to throw your cat a some hamburger or a chicken leg every day. It's not that simple.

Home cooked diets also ahve the potential to back fire, if they cat is not getting the proper balance of nutrients, vitamins, minerals and so on.

my ten cent worth
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-23-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

The dry food can lead to obesity if your cats eats too much of it, and gets no exercise.
Like Acer, I schedule feed my cats, once in the morning and once in the evening. They get canned food twice a week. My cats are also exercised for an hour each morning and about an hour and a half or so each evening before bed.

I have never heard of this vet, and I dislike her statement of "no dry food at all". As a pet owner, we have to ensure that our pets are getting the proper nutrition that they need. Raw diets have to be supplemented with vitamins to ensure this (I know from experience, tried a raw diet with my dog for the first year we had her).
Unread 09-24-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I have to agree with Gail and Crystal. I also schedule the feedings and measure the amount of food given daily. Dry food shouldn't always be available in uncontrolled amounts. My cat is on high quality dry food and she's not overweight either.

I do give her wet food twice a week, then I only give her half of the amount of dry food.

I think your cat will be fine with being fed wet food, as long as it's from a high quality pet food brand though I wouldn't experiment with raw food either.
Unread 09-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Inspired
katlady is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. I have started to decrease the dry food so it is no longer just there for them to graze. I will continue with the wet food 2x daily--they only get 1/6th to 1/4th of a can each time so it's not alot like the cans suggest. They seem to be happy with that. I will stick to my dry food brand(ScienceDiet Indoor) and work them out more with the laser light!!!
Katlady with Sahara, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel, Uzziel, Uriel, Seraphina, and Ambriel, Callie, Kira, Annabelle, Grayson and Speckles,Angel2, Jezzie, Delihlia, Bathsheba, Houdini, Tempe, Chandler, Peavey, and Mesa, Stevie Ray, Myeta, Cady, Misty, Sandy,
Unread 10-02-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

A super high-quality dry ingredient is perfectly okay and healthy. I have found that with scheduled feedings, my cats exhibit VERY NAUGHTY behavior (because they get hungry!), so that wasn't an option for me.

I also have one cat who overeats and another who barely picks at her food :-/ Preventing obesity has been a struggle.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"

Tags
behavior , book , canned food , cat , cats , dog , dry , dry food , fire , food , found , games , happy , healthy , hey , indoor , laser , morning , night , nutrition , obesity , overweight , pet , pet food , playing , raw , secrets , struggle , thoughts , vet , weight , wet food , wild

Sponsored Cat Links