It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-12-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Dawn&Bo is on a distinguished road
Default Our cats keep fighting! How can we stop this?

Hello I am a new user desperately needing advice. Im afraid its a long story but Id appreciate some feedback.
I adopted a stray cat about 5/6months ago and had no problems, she adjusted well to my house within days, and didnt take long to readjust when we moved house. My circumstances changed and I had to move in with my sister, who already had a cat, about 3 weeks ago. He is a neutered male around the age 3. They had previously met on one occasion and only hissed a little bit but there was no fighting.
When we moved in they seemed to be ok, both were a little wary but there was no fighting from either cat. However Bo (my cat) has been crying every time I pick her up or go to touch her. I wondered if maybe she is not happy or something as she has now started to attack Eric (my sisters cat). It is always unprovoked by Eric, she just decides to go for him. Eric does not fight back and is very scared of her. He will not enter a room if she is there, he growls at her and hisses first but never attacks her first. Bo is about 2 years old, could it be a playful gesture on her part?
I would appreciate some advice on how we can stop her from attacking him?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello Dawn & Bo.
Does the fighting look serious to you or more like play fighting? As it's only been 3 weeks it might take a bit more time for the cats to adjust to each other and for things to settle down.
I have two cats and they often 'fight' but it's not particularly vicious and they never injure each other. Lots of hissing & swatting at each other, sometimes they'll hold on to each other and roll around on the floor. It's usually instigated by the elder cat who is the dominant one. If I ever feel it's getting a bit out of hand I throw something that makes a noise (like a bunch of keys) near them (not at them! ) and they'll scarper in opposite directions.
Bo could be feeling a bit insecure in her new home as at the moment it will smell more of your sister's cat than her so could explain her 'crying'. Just give her lots of love to reassure her.
I'm sure with time and patience things will settle down & even if the cats are never the best of friends they will learn to get along together.
Welcome to the forum & keep us updated to how things progress.
Helen
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

amycatz is on a distinguished road

I had this problem with one of my cats,Once a cat knows it can bully another cat..well,it is not good..But it got really bad when my cat was attacking not one but 3 of my other cats,Which was odd because the cat that was doing the attacking was never like that before,I have a friend who told me that it sounded like my cat had cancer of the brain.
I ended up having to put that cat down,it was so sad..I tried everything to avoid that,but my cat was always living in the closet,afraid to be attacked along with the others.
I used a water bottle at first..they hate that.,If I had to leave I would put one in a spare room..needless to say it is a very frustrating situation.
Unread 10-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! As Helen said it will take some time for the cats to adjust to each other. Bo has been through a lot recently, don't forget.

Now, I recommend you get some feliway plug in diffusers to help with the territorial feelings.

You should have at least three litter boxes, one in a different place than the others.

Each cat should have an area to go to where the other does not.

Rescue Remedy may help too.

You can also try the vanilla trick. When you both are at home off an evening, and presumably you want the cats hanging out with you, in the living room, say. Get some cooking vanilla (not perfume) and put a dot on the nose and root of tail of each cat. This makes them both smell the same, so they can get past that strange smell issue and get to know each other.

Keeping them completely separate, and reintroducing very slowly may be needed, but the feliway plug in diffusers will help after a few weeks, I bet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 02-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

big-tony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by amycatz View Post
I ended up having to put that cat down,it was so sad..I tried everything to avoid that,but my cat was always living in the closet,afraid to be attacked along with the others.
Are you frickin Serious ?! You and the person who put the cat down are MORONS..

Just because a Cat doesn't get along with your scary cat doesn't mean the Cat needs to DIE..

You could have just as easily found another home for the Cat or were you too lazy?

I hope bad karma comes your way for that..
People like you represent the scum of the Earth.

I hate to sound like an A-Hole with me being a newbie here, but this type of bs pisses me off. "Oh I can't handle the problem so lets kill the cat"

Last edited by big-tony; 02-09-2010 at 03:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to big-tony For This Useful Post:
kat
Unread 02-16-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Mokie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn&Bo View Post
However Bo (my cat) has been crying every time I pick her up or go to touch her.
Hi, I would be more concerned about appearing distressed when being picked up. Next time you are cuddling with Bo run your hands all over looking for any bumps, lumps, rashes, scabs. The new found aggression could be coming from something hurting her. If all appears good then the trick's posted above should help, Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to Mokie For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-17-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

crobb is on a distinguished road

WE had a problem with our two cats and the vet suggested giving each one a quarter of a melatonin tablet, crushed and mixed with their food. That seemed to help.

Tags
adopted , advice , age , another cat , attack , attacking , bully , cat , cat needs , cats , changed , crying , feedback , fighting , friends , growls , happy , hey , hissing , home , house , lazy , litter , litter boxes , love , male , new home , new user , nose , play , problem , problems , sad , scared , scary , smell , stop , story , stray , territorial , type , water

Sponsored Cat Links