It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

felix is on a distinguished road
Default Maine Coon owners. imput please

We,re unsure of when is best to have our kitten spayed. The vet says now, but the breeder we got her off says not until a year or she wont grow fully.
Any advice appreciated.

Dawne
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Breeders can be weird people

My sister and her husband bought their Maine Coon when she was six months old. She was already spayed. She just went to the vet's yesterday and weighed in at 18 and a half pounds. She's now nine years old.

I have a non-Maine Coon, spayed at four months, just your regular tortie tabby ... she weighs 17 lbs.

Spare kitty the trauma of going into heat and get her little booty spayed pronto.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

What kind of breeder would say such a thing? That's like applauding animal abuse IMO.

I have a PB Maine Coon and I spayed her when she was 5 months old. She's soon 1 year old and she's still growing. This is her a couple of months ago:

I wouldn't say she stayed small.

As I've heard, spaying/neutering cats tend to make them grow faster and larger. You also have to monitor what they eat, of course, so they'll just grow large and not fat.

One other point I find very important in this is:
Does it really matter how big she'll grow? Wouldn't you rather have her happy, instead of going through heats or perhaps run away and have kittens (which are hard to find homes to)?
Unread 10-14-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

One more thing. Your kitten is now very much able to have kittens herself by this age. So don't let her outside. My friend had a kitten at 5 months that got pregnant from one mating. She caught her cat with her other cat in the act. A few weeks later, she had 6 more kittens.

I would recommend for everybody to spay their cats no matter if they are PB or not. Only professional registered breeders should breed cats, to better the breed. Even they have their cats spayed/neutered after a few years.
Unread 10-14-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
Does it really matter how big she'll grow? Wouldn't you rather have her happy, instead of going through heats or perhaps run away and have kittens (which are hard to find homes to)?
I couldnt give a toss how big she grows. The reason I asked was that Ive heard there can be health implications with stunted growth.
As I am a Cats Protection home checker the well being of my and any cat /kitten I help rehome is of the utmost importance.
Thanks for the advice. We,l get her booked in when she goes for her second vaccinations in Nov.
Unread 10-14-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Maine Coons are generally a healthy breed. Spaying/neutering them would not set off any health implications or stop her growth.

HCM is the most known disease this breed can get, but with less inbreeding, this isn't that common. Still you should just have her checked regularily. Like once a year or more, but I think you already know this.

Most vets are also aware of this and will make sure to follow up.

Also make sure she drinks a lot of water for her kidney's sakes. As she is a Maine Coon, perhaps she loves to play with water. I'd recommend getting a fountain. Could be fun and healthy for your other cats as well Running water also makes them want to drink more.

I say spay her and don't worry.
Unread 10-15-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

the fountain hasnt gone down that well with her, although the other four have always loved it. She does empty the water bowl regularly though.
Have spoken to the vet & they wont spay until 6mths so shes booked in for next month. Thanks for the advice.

Meet Darcie-Lu

Last edited by felix; 10-15-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Unread 10-15-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

She's just fabulous looking! And she knows it
Unread 10-15-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

You've already had really good advice but I'll just add mine as a maine coon mum - I had Sasha spayed at 5 months the same age as Katrine had Anastasia did and I've never heard that spaying them early can affect their growth. Sasha is smaller than Anastasia, but her mother Gina was small too and she had lots of litters!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 10-15-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

WOW, what a darling she is! I just love all that white fluff

Tags
advice , age , animal , breed , breeder , breeders , breeding , cat , cats , cool , fun , growth , happy , health , healthy , heat , hey , homes , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , maine coon , mat , mating , neutering , play , pregnant , problem , scary , small , spay , spayed , stop , stunted , tabby , vet , water , weird , worry

Sponsored Cat Links