It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
keyslammer is on a distinguished road
Default Kitten Ill - Help!!!

Good morning all! We are proud new mom and dad of a sweet little kitten my husband rescued about 6 weeks ago. At the time she was only about 4 weeks old and we supplemented her diet with kitten formula. She was thriving and was into everything. Just this past Wednesday all was going well, she was acting normally, playing, getting into everything like kittens do, bouncing off the walls then BAM, that evening she went to sleep and she has been doing pretty much just sleeping, eating a bit, drinking a bit and going potty. She then just goes right back to sleep. It has had us worried to no end. Now I know everyone is going to say, "get her to the vet immediately" and we did try to get her in on Saturday (husband got paid Friday evening) but they had no slots open and said we could take her to the emergency clinic to the tune of $150.00 JUST to walk in the door. Don't get me wrong, if we had it to spend we would have done just that, but we don't. Something just dawned on me and I told my husband yesterday morning to take off the kitten flea collar we had put on her. Within 24 hours she was acting a bit more normal, although still not playing, but she seems to have more energy and has even gone out on the patio a few times, staying longer every time she goes out. Could the flea collar actually been the problem? She had the thing on for 2 weeks, but I was thinking possibly just recently enough toxins had built up in her little body that caused her to get sick. I'm not going to stop worrying until she's bouncing off the walls again. She has been through so much in her short little life. When my husband rescued her she was just a huddled up mass of kitty fur, no meat on her little bones and barely alive. She was underneath a car laying on the scalding hot Houston, Texas pavement with ants crawling all over her. Not to mention one of her little eyes and the side of her nose and chin had been injured and had bloody scabs. He brought her in to me and I immediately got some water in her with an eyedropper and she just took off from there. We hate to see this baby so down and out. Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated. We have an appt. this morning with the vet for her.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello!
From what you've posted I think you're right in thinking that the flea collar may be causing the kitten to be unwell. Probably just as well that you're taking her to the vet to be on the safe side though.
Sounds like the poor wee thing has had such an awful start in life, I am so glad your husband found her & she now has a safe, loving home. What's her name? Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

Last edited by hallan; 10-19-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome, how did the vet visit go? xxxxx
Unread 10-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hurray for you for rescuing this baby and giving her a forever home.

I haven't a doubt that the flea collar was the culprit. She is old enough now for frontline plus, you can get some when you take her to the vet for her check up. Has she been tested for disease? You can do that at the vet, too. Given her temporarily weakened condition, the vet may want to hold off starting the vaccinations for a few weeks.

Welcome, and please keep us updated. What's her name?

Unread 10-19-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Sick kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyslammer View Post
Good morning all! We are proud new mom and dad of a sweet little kitten my husband rescued about 6 weeks ago. At the time she was only about 4 weeks old and we supplemented her diet with kitten formula. She was thriving and was into everything. Just this past Wednesday all was going well, she was acting normally, playing, getting into everything like kittens do, bouncing off the walls then BAM, that evening she went to sleep and she has been doing pretty much just sleeping, eating a bit, drinking a bit and going potty. She then just goes right back to sleep. It has had us worried to no end. Now I know everyone is going to say, "get her to the vet immediately" and we did try to get her in on Saturday (husband got paid Friday evening) but they had no slots open and said we could take her to the emergency clinic to the tune of $150.00 JUST to walk in the door. Don't get me wrong, if we had it to spend we would have done just that, but we don't. Something just dawned on me and I told my husband yesterday morning to take off the kitten flea collar we had put on her. Within 24 hours she was acting a bit more normal, although still not playing, but she seems to have more energy and has even gone out on the patio a few times, staying longer every time she goes out. Could the flea collar actually been the problem? She had the thing on for 2 weeks, but I was thinking possibly just recently enough toxins had built up in her little body that caused her to get sick. I'm not going to stop worrying until she's bouncing off the walls again. She has been through so much in her short little life. When my husband rescued her she was just a huddled up mass of kitty fur, no meat on her little bones and barely alive. She was underneath a car laying on the scalding hot Houston, Texas pavement with ants crawling all over her. Not to mention one of her little eyes and the side of her nose and chin had been injured and had bloody scabs. He brought her in to me and I immediately got some water in her with an eyedropper and she just took off from there. We hate to see this baby so down and out. Any ideas from anyone would be appreciated. We have an appt. this morning with the vet for her.

Hello and welcome aboard

I thank your husband for finding an taking in the little kitten we need more kind people like him in this world.

Yes it sounds like to me the flea collar IS making your little kitty sick good move on your part for taking it off. an yes go to the vet and have the wee little kitten checked out i know the high cost of going to the vet it CAN BE A BIG DENT IN THE POCKET BOOK but it will be the best for this little kitten seeing how hard her start in life was. I run a little out of my pocket cat rescue call Paw Town i do not use flea collars or things like frontline because of the fear of toxins. when is I was in the army i was station with some air born rangers an they NEVER USE BUG SPRAY and we would go to places were there was every biteing stringing bug you could think of they would eat lots of garlic an take garlic pills so i tryed it an it WORKS if it works for humans why not cats so i tryed it on my kittys mixed a little bit of garlic power in there food an no more fleas tlicks it takes about a week before it start to work. Oh your cat will not small like garlic. I hopes this helps PLEASE keep us up to date on your kitten good news or bad please.

Take care my friend.

HappyHippie =^..^=

I love all cats and kittens the strays and the ugly one's too.
Unread 10-19-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Update on stella

Well, it WAS the flea collar. She had been building up the poisons in her little system all that time and it was slowly killing her. I feel SO SO SO SO bad that I got that flea collar and put it on her. My gosh, I was killing my baby. It just hit me like a ton of bricks Saturday morning THE FLEA COLLAR!!!! We had passed over every other horrible idea in our heads and it had come down to a theory of deduction. The vet said she should be fine in a few days. It will take time to get it all out of her system. He said to force fluids so I've dug out the old trusty large barrel syringe and have been making her drink water. Hubby even gave her Ozarka spring water because it's so pure. He works for Ozarka so we get plenty of it. She's doing better by the minute. Thanks to ALL of you for your words of wisdom and to the GARLIC LADY!!! What a terrific idea. We're going to try it. The Vet did say that the Revolution is good, but he didn't want to treat her until she has had a chance to build her little system back up.

She's such a little trooper....that's our Stella!

ADDITION: OK, I forgot to mention THIS part. Stella was wayyyyy tooo little to be away from her mommy when we rescued her. Obviously she had not been weaned. She has a habit of nursing my husband's neck. I think it's the sweetest thing in the world to see his big hand holding her tiny little rump up so she can suckle his neck. heeheee I told him before she got sick that he was going to have to "wean" her. I think he actually hates to see her grow up and stop but it's gotten to the point now that he's starting to get little "hickies" on his neck. He promised me he would when she got to feeling better. He's going to kill me for telling you all that. LOLOLOL

Last edited by keyslammer; 10-19-2009 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Addition
Unread 10-19-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the happy update!

Please don't give the kitten garlic. Garlic is toxic to cats. (onions, too) They cause anemia.

The safest way to treat for fleas is frontline or frontline plus, advantage or advantage multi or revolution. YOu buy them at your vet.

Don't blame yourself about the flea collar. You didn't know. Now you do, spread the word! OTC flea products should never be used on cats. It's like playing russian roulette. you just never know if the cat will react poorly, or even fatally

Loved the neck loving story. Cats sometimes don't outgrow those little behaviors.

Suggest that your husband get a soft fleece blankie or stuffed animal. When Stella starts sucking on his neck, he should very gently transfer the kitten to the blankie or stuffed animal. He could sleep with the blankie next to his skin for a night, to have it smell like him.

Then, he will just slip the blankie between kitten's mouth and his neck at first. Soon baby Stella will learn that it's the blankie that is her security blanket, not his neck.

please keep us updated on Stella!

Unread 10-19-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad Stella is on the road to recovery. Please don't beat yourself up about the flea collar, you and your husband have saved this little kitten's life. I love the story about her suckling your husbands neck, don't worry we won't tell anyone!
Unread 10-20-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Thanks SO much everyone

We appreciate everyone's input so much. And thanks for letting us know about the garlic being toxic to kitties. Robert had said he was going to read up on that before we did it, so even though every idea and opinion is appreciated, we will definitely consider things after doing research from now on. I had NO idea about flea collars being so bad for kitties.

She is still not up and playing. That part concerns me. I want to see her bouncing off the walls. I will NEVER EVER complain again about her energy level once she gets better.

Thanks again to everyone. Your concern for our baby and everyone's help and suggestions have been greatly appreciated.

Donna

P.S. By the way, we had read about the fleece thing and Stella's "nursing" Robert's neck. I went and got a really soft fleece neck scarf. She just roots underneath it...LOL....for real...she has this head butting action going on and she WILLLLLLL find his skin. LOL It's the cutest thing but I know it's not good to let her keep doing it. He is going to "wean" her once she's better. She gets this look in her eyes, a look of sheer determination, and zooms in on Robert's neck and walks like a kitty on a mission when she wants to nurse. You will hear her smacking and finally it stops and she falls asleep. Robert will put her on her little heating pad we got for her. Since she has been sick she had gotten in the habit of wanting to sleep on the computer router because it's warm. The Vet told us to get a heating pad and put it on the lowest setting. That's where she is right now.
Unread 10-20-2009   #10 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

So glad Stella is on the road to recovery.
I hate collars.
My Marley had a near fatal accident with one when she was small.
I have never used them since.
Stella sounds adorable nursing on the scarf. xxxxx

Tags
adorable , age , animal , baby , bites , book , car , care , cat , cats , collar , color , computer , diet , eating , eyes , fast , fleas , food , frontline , fur , game , happy , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , lost , love , loving , morning , night , opinion , paw , pills , playing , sick , sleep , sleeping , small , smell , story , strays , vet , water , weaned , worry

Sponsored Cat Links