It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-20-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

heknowsall is on a distinguished road
Default Runaway insight please !

We have a cat (Shante) that has been an inside cat all her life (now 13 years). She will go outside for only a few minutes at a time never going farther than our porch to nibble a bit of grass. Then she is immediately back in. If the screen closes, she will claw it to come back in.

We have tried to take her with us on our walks but she is terrified and desperately tries to get back to the house.

She had a visit to the vet a few months ago and all was well. She appeared to be in good health.

Now, she has been missing for three days. We don't understand it. Why would she leave the house? She has claws so she can defend herself (she is not shy to show aggression).

We simply cannot understand it.

Would an inside cat suddenly get the urge to leave? If so, why?

Have cats of this type been known to come home after a while? Is it common?

Any insight would really help my wife and I. She was of course our Baby.

Link to her picture.

Picasa Web Albums - Rich
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-20-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh I am so sorry. How terrible and out of your mind you must feel. The best thing to do is an all out search.

- Post fliers every where. Offer a reward

- Call all local shelters and vets to find out if she's been brought in, and post fliers there too. Call daily.

- Knock on doors and ask your neighbors if they've seen her.

-Ask everyone to check their porches and out buildings, trash cans, she could be trapped somewhere.

- Check trees too.

-sit outside in the early morning and evening with her favorite smelly food near you. Talk to her or read aloud, so she hears your voice.

Often a cat is very near by, just too spooked and frightened to come out. If you see her while sitting outside, don't react, just talk softly to her and encourage her to come to you.

And once you get her home, never ever let her outside again. Since she doesn't want to go out, it wasn't clear to me why you kept trying to put her out, but that's beside the point. I think you'll keep her inside now!

I am praying for her safe return.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

To answer your other question, I doubt she had an urge to leave. Something frightened her, more likely, and she ran instinctively, then became disoriented.

One more suggestion. Are you positive she is not in the house? She could be shut up in a closet, drawer, hole in the wall. Do a thorough search of your house, again.
Unread 10-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

heknowsall is on a distinguished road

Thank you for answering acerlt.

These are great suggestions. Some we have tried but not all. I really want her to come home.

oh, and we weren't trying to put her out. I would prefer she never went out but she would sit by the front door and meow loudly to go out (then stay out for a full 3 minutes...). She is very vocal and has no problem saying what she wants.

regarding her being in the house, unless she is injured, I can't see why she would not meow to get free. She is very vocal. Maybe we can't hear her(?). I don't know. We checked and checked. My wife's hearing is... extraordinary.

Thank you again for your suggestions, insight and prayers.

I hope she comes back home.
Unread 10-20-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I hope Shante is found safe & sound soon.

Tags
aggression , baby , cat , cats , claws , disoriented , food , found , free , great , health , hey , home , house , meow , missing , morning , picture , prayers , problem , question , search , shelters , suggestions , type , vet , vocal

Sponsored Cat Links