It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-23-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

meljen is on a distinguished road
Default Litterbox wierdness

This is about Rex--if anyone remembers reading about him. He's about a year old and he's a Nebelung that we neutered just a couple weeks ago. He is a stray that we decided to take in.

Anyway, he seems totally healthy. He is still getting used to his non-Tom and pure indoor schedule, so he sleeps a bit more during the day, but he's starting to be more awake throughout the day and then comes in to sleep with us in our bed at night. He wakes up early to play, and sometimes brings in toys throughout the night, lol. No more peeing on our bed though, hooray!

He's not hot anywhere, his fur is perfect and silky, he has no wierd wetness or issues around his hindquarters...nothing. He doesn't cry awkwardly or anything either. He plays a lot, gets really hyper and runs around and attacks his cat tree, he's a sweetheart that doesn't scratch or bite on purpose at all.

BUT--he has issues with his litter box. We originally gave him a shallow, disposable box with regular clay litter. He used it like a champ. We then got him a deeper box with a cover and door flap, with clay clumping litter (a cheap no-name brand). That litter stuck to his paws BAD. So we tried A&H's natural pine clumping litter. That didn't stick to him as much as it just was wet and got everywhere, and he wouldn't cover his potty and would jump out of the box like he was scared of it--and got potty EVERYWHERE. It got worse with time. So we took the lid off. Same thing.

SO. We got another litter box. Shallower, but a tiny bit deeper than the disposable box. A&H clumping clay litter with baking soda crystals. It's great, smells great, doesn't stick to him, etc. He used it the first two days like a champ. He covers his potty perfectly--even his pee (which before he was neutered, he used to leave that very much UNcovered). But today he didn't cover his pee again. It was a big amount, and it looked sort of milky yellow. It looked this way in his other clumping litters, too--but not in the regular rock litter. With the new litter his pee looked normal again the first few days, but today it looked all thick again. But what's wierd is when he would pee on our bed (back when his pee looked like this in his other litters) it was totally clear and yellow. So I'm thinking the powder in the litter is making it sort of creamy.

ANYWAY--I'm wondering if he leaves it exposed like that when he's trying to leave a message. He's very set in his ways. He marked his kitty tree before we had him neutered, but peed on a kitty bed he didn't like. He'd also pee on us during the night (well, me only) when he was 'in the mood'. So I'm really wondering if he's just acting like a Tom without the hormones to make the pee smell like 'boy pee'--thank goodness.

Any advice? sorry if I was rambling. I've never owned a Tom cat that wasn't neutered right away. We had him for about a month before we got him fixed. We think he never had toys and was stray for a while. He's really warming up though...acting much more secure and confident.

ANYWAY---lol. Okay! Any help would be great.

Melissa
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi Melissa! It's nice of you to update us on how Rex is doing, I'm glad he's well & settling in!
I've never owned a tomcat so I'm unsure of what advice to give. With cats & litter boxes it's usually a case of finding a box they prefer (some cats don't like the covered ones as they have less space to turn round in them & less room to move around and cover their 'business') and what sort of litter they like. Some cats like to bury & cover, some don't. One of my cats covers everything she does while the other rarely bothers.
If Rex seems happy with his tray & isn't peeing anywhere he shouldn't I wouldn't worry. Hopefully someone else will be along with some better advice.
Regarding the 'milky' appearance of his pee, are you sure that the litter is causing this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Change can really bother a cat, and all these litter and box changes have probably got him very frustrated. I recommend you go back to what worked for him in the first place. What was it...low sided boxes with plain clay litter?

It's great to hear more about Rex, I think we all love him, here.

Tags
advice , baking soda , bite , box , boy , business , cat , cats , fixed , fur , great , happy , healthy , hey , hyper , indoor , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , love , natural , nice , night , peeing , play , scared , scratch , stray , toys , worry

Sponsored Cat Links