It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

becky535 is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help I'm at my wits end!

Hello,

I know this topic has been done to death but we seem to have tried all the hints and tips and nothing seems to work!

We have two gorgous kittens, Max and Millie. They are just about to turn 6 months and we got the from the RSPCA when they were about 2 months old.

When we got them they were both fully litter trained and happily used the tray. The move seemed to upset Max most, he used to hiss at us and hide a lot while Mille was just content to be in a different room.

As times gone on they both seem very settled and Max amazingly is the biggest fuss pot ever! he loves cuddles and will follow me and my boyfriend around as we move around the house, quite happily and they both seem very settled.

Except max has now developed toiletting issues! When we first had them we designated the dining room as their area, filled it with toys a litter tray each lots of bedding and boxes for them to play with. We put the fact that we used to come home to urine and faeces on the floor down to his young age and the stress of the move, but he doesnt seem to have gotten any better.

We had the throw out all the bedding and the boxes as he ruined them all as well as a bookcase and and few books! We though maybe he was just hanging his bum over the edge of the litter tray as sometimes it would be fairly near...so we got them each a covered litter tray which Millie uses everytime (as far as we know...we have caught him in the act of urinating or defecating in the dining room many times, but never her!)

So far i have tried, lemon juice, vinegar, using bilogical washing powder solutions, the home made odour eliminators, pepper, moving the littler tray, moving his food, changing the litter, having him neutered and sprinkiling food on the floor where he likes to go...but with no joy at all!

The odd thing is we have now taken to locking them in the kitchen during the day, which is a shame as its a smaller area for them to run around in but he NEVER goes on the floor in there, ever! I have watched him when im in there making dinner quite content to go in and out of the box, although after hes done his business he does scratch outside the box sometimes. During an evening we move the litter tray into the living room so we can closer the dining room off and he always usues it fine and happily.

I mop the floor everyday and try to keep him out of there but as its in the middle of the house its difficult and if hes in there for just 2 minutes hes off. And I swear he knows hes doing wrong, if I watch him from the other side of the room he'll look at me then hide under the curtains, or the table before doing his business.

The final straw came last week when he used my boyfriends football boots!! He has been checked out by the vet and is all clear. I love him to bits but we live in rented accomodation i dont know how much longer we can live with this!

We don't have many visitors only really family that they are well accustomed to on the odd occasion as we tend to go out to meet our friends.

Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Becky
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello to you, Max & Millie!
I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble with little Max. To be honest I'm at a bit of a loss as to why he would stop using his tray.
Apologies if these are obvious questions but are the litter trays big enough and have you changed the litter you use? Some cats don't like covered litter trays as they don't have 'enough' room to move around in. Are the litter trays in a quiet place? If you keep moving them it will only add to the problem.
You'll need to get some special cleaner from a pet store to remove the scent from carpets, etc (even if you can't smell it Max will be able to, so he will continue to urinate in the same places).
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious, hopefully someone will be along with better advice. It may be that Max needs a bit longer to finally settle down in his new home than Millie.
I also live in rented accommodation so I understand that this will be a great worry to you & your boyfriend.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-31-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

becky535 is on a distinguished road

Hi Hallan,

thank you for your ideas Everyone seems at a loss, hes really well behaved in everyother way!

Both the litter trays are covered but they are really big ones! And he has no problems using them when the dining room is closed off to him, and we used to have two big uncovered trays ans still had the same issues.

We did change his litter as we thought that might've been the issue but it seems to have had no bearing on his behaviour.

We have to move the trays to accomodate the fact that we have to shut off the dining room. During the day when were out they're in the same spots in the kitchen, and of an evening theyre in the same spots in the living room and again he always uses them as long as the dining room door is shut! I have also tried moving them to the places that he goes on the floor but he'll either go next to them or just find a new spot in the same room, but as i say if the dining room door is shut we never have any problems.

I got some new spray today and I have mopped yet again so fingers crossed! he has been ok the last few days but that has more to do with my watching him like a hawk in there and moving him out when he looks like he's going to try!

Thank you for all your tips though...I'll let you know how we get on!

Becky
Unread 11-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

felix is on a distinguished road

I know exactly how you feel. Our 12 yr old Kramer pees indoors, usually in
the conservatory, or if the mood takes him, the kitchen.
Weve tried all the usual remedies, feliway spray works for a while, but wears off quickly. I find that surgical spirit is the best thing as it dissolves the fats in the urine.
Good luck with your peeing puss & if you find something to stop him let me know. Ive threatened Kramer with nappies(hehe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 11-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

felix is on a distinguished road

I tried putting his food bowl in the same place as Kramer peed after cleaning it & the next morning the bowl was full of biscuits & wee. I swear that cat has no brain!
But sooo cute

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 11-11-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I tried putting his food bowl in the same place as Kramer peed after cleaning it & the next morning the bowl was full of biscuits & wee. I swear that cat has no brain!
But sooo cute
With looks like that who needs brains!
Unread 11-12-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

jeniferpetographer is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=becky535;101760]Hello,

was just thinking what about putting puppy pads down where he pees? if he starts to get in the habbit of going on the pads then you could try putting the pad in his try with no litter...

i hope this helps

Kind regards Jen

Tags
advice , age , behaviour , books , boyfriend , business , cats , changed , family , food , great , hey , hiss , home , house , joy , kittens , litter , loss , moving , new home , peeing , pet , play , problems , puppy , raw , scratch , smell , stop , stress , tips , toys , upset , urine , vet , worry

Sponsored Cat Links