It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-18-2009   #1 (permalink)
KMC
Newborn

KMC is on a distinguished road
Default Should I get a cat?

Hello all, I moved into my first apartment recently, im a college student. I have no roomates and have been thinking about getting a cat. An older woman down my hall has one and I always spend a few min of my day playing with her when I walk down the hall. However, I have a few questions and I thought this would be the perfect way to find the answers by cat lovers like yourselfs!

I did some research, I want to adopt a Kitten from someone or a shelter I know that, but I am not sure if my appt is to small. its about 800 square feet. I would clearly keep this cat indoors most of the time, but was wondering; sometimes I go to school on the weekend or something, is it bad to bring your cat with you if its not used to being outside?

If I get a cat that does not have its shots yet, about how much does it cost?
I will be getting a cat that is already fixed
Roughly how much do you spend a month on cat needs?

If I do get a kitten, it will be over winter break so I can be home as much as possible to take care of him/her, however once school starts I will be in and out all day. I will be home for about 4-5 hours though that I will be awake and weekends.

Please any information to help me would be greatly appreciated! Thank you
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-18-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I would say that you have sufficient space for a kitten/cat. You will need a litter box and litter, as for how much vaccinations cost it can vary it also depends where you live. I found this site which gives costs for cats (and dogs)Veterinary Prices - Treatment costs for pets, in general kittens play and sleep and eat alot, most cats are loners, but will benefit from some interaction from you. Good luck! It does seem like you have thought this out carefully please let us know how you go on.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-19-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think your cat will be fine. It will have a better life with you than in a shelter. I am in and out all day too, because of studies, work and sometimes social life
I live in a 377 Sq. feet and I never let my cat out to wander. They're safer inside. All of the people I know who let their cats outside, somehow end up disappearing or dying (with the exception of one, but this cat is only a bit past 2 years of age).

Just remember to get your future cat quality food and play with it when you have time. Also spay/neuter and give it the shots. The real question you should ask yourself is if you can afford it. Also make sure to save up some extra money in case of emergency.

Goodluck!
Unread 11-19-2009   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

kathie is on a distinguished road

Cats are self-reliant creatures. But you will need to be prepared to pay for all the expenses of a cat and the commitment to care for this creature for it's entire life. Make sure you can groom it, feed it, pay for vet visits, get its shots, neuter/spay, dewormed, litter, etc. Cat ownership is a huge commitment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unread 12-22-2009   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

You should! Owning a cat is very rewarding. One good thing about cats is they're relatively low maintenance. A cat basically needs food, water and a liter box. If it's still young, shower it with lots of love and affection. That way, it'll grow into a well-behaved cat.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

|

|

Tags
age , apartment , box , care , cat , cat lovers , cat needs , cats , dogs , dying , food , found , groom , hey , home , kitten , kittens , litter , litter box , love , lovers , money , neuter , ownership , play , playing , question , save , shelter , sleep , small , social , spay , spay/neuter , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links