It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

SamIam is on a distinguished road
Default Two Kittens?

I am new to the board. I have a six month old kitten and I'm seriously considering getting a Christmas kitten for companionship for us both. Once I had two cats who were the best of friend, but I recently talked to a lady who said her two cats hated each other, and thye were introduced at a very young age, too. I got my first cat from a no euthanize shelter and would get the second one from themas well. They will take a cat back if its new home doesn't work. Any advice? Many thanks!

-Sam
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I'd go for it. Most cats do act dramatic at first, but after some patience they end up loving each other. I'll bet you'll hear from experienced members about how their cats ended up bestfriends soon.
Unread 12-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I would also say go for it, but I would wait until after the holidays espcially if there will be a lot of upheaval going on it will be too much for the resident kitten, and definitily for the new kitten, also you could try 'Feliway' diffuser as that has some success with intergrating cats, and try mixing their scents by rubbing their faces with a cloth and then swapping them around. Good luck.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
I would also say go for it, but I would wait until after the holidays espcially if there will be a lot of upheaval going on it will be too much for the resident kitten, and definitily for the new kitten, also you could try 'Feliway' diffuser as that has some success with intergrating cats, and try mixing their scents by rubbing their faces with a cloth and then swapping them around. Good luck.
I agree entirely with this advice. Too much stuff goes on at Christmas and so the result may not be a positive one with a new kitten. I would wait until all is back to normal. It will be something to look forward to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 12-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you all for your replies. I am single and will be staying here for Christmas. I'll probably hit a few parties, but they will not be near my house. I like the idea of feliway user and also rubbing their faces on cloth that the other one has rubbed. Thanks for the input. And don't forget Santa CLAWS is coming to town!
Unread 12-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=SamIam;102775]Thank you all for your replies. I am single and will be staying here for Christmas. I'll probably hit a few parties, but they will not be near my house. I like the idea of feliway user and also rubbing their faces on cloth that the other one has rubbed. Thanks for the input. And don't forget Santa CLAWS is coming to town![/QUOTE]

Hey thats cute. It gave me a chuckle.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 12-09-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Well, I decided to go ahead and do it! My new kitten has a mellow personality and is a tuxedo kitty with one green and one blue eye. I can't wait. I hope Flicker isn't too upset by the newcomer. She is about 8 months and the new kitty around 4 or 5 months. I think that's young enough for them to get along. Cross your paws for me!

- Sam
Unread 12-09-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think it will all work out fine. Isn't that the best Xmas present to yourself, ever?

Please do share pictures
Unread 12-10-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I hope they hit it off straight away but if they don't please don't worry too much. My first cat Ripley was 3 when we got our second cat Newt. She took it really badly at first but things worked out fine with lots of love and patience. I think the fact that your cat is still so young will work in your favour. Good luck, don't forget to post some pics & I hope the three of you wil have fun filled Xmas!
Unread 12-10-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

sweet0914 is on a distinguished road

I say go for it. They may or may not like each other but after awhile they may. It's not like rabbits.. you can't pair two rabbits up unless they know each other or they will fight.. not fun to watch..
Anyways back to cats. you may just want to slowly introduced them to each other.

Good luck.

Tags
advice , age , cat , cats , christmas , claws , cute , eye , fight , friends , fun , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitty , love , loving , new home , new kitten , personality , pictures , present , shelter , upset , worry

Sponsored Cat Links