It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Blue Leader is on a distinguished road
Question Kitten "Relieving" Himself on Blankets-- Not Sure What's Up

Greetings,

It's me again. I posted a little while ago when I got a new kitten and introduced him to two female cats (who are about three years old).

So, anyway, everything has been going pretty well (excluding Egon, the kitten, constantly attacking bare feet-- ouch!), but for some reason he's been... well... peeing in places he shouldn't be. It doesn't happen every day, though it does happen somewhat often (four times now in the past two weeks). And it's usually on a blanket, which unfortunately is usually on me... ugh.

At first I thought it was just something about that blanket, but yesterday he peed on another blanket as the other was in the wash (and the new one was, again, on me). A day or two before that he peed in a clothes basket; thankfully nothing was in the basket, but my blanket theory was out the window at that point.
He does use the litter box so it's not like he isn't litter trained... And while he's the most hyper kitten I've ever seen, he doesn't really seem to be nervous or scared when he does it, in fact last night he simply walked calmly up to the couch, jumped up onto the blanket and started relieving himself while giving me a look like "yeah, I'm peeing, what are you going to do about it?"
And it's not like he can't make it to the box either, as when he did it yesterday he had just come out from the kitchen... The litterbox is right next to the kitchen, so he would've been only a few feet from it. Not to mention the litter box was fairly clean, too.

So I'm not sure what's going on. He clearly doesn't care when he does it and as soon as he's done goes back to jumping on everything he can find, though he has been scolded for his relieving himself there (not badly, just sharp "nos").
He isn't fixed yet, which I don't know if that might be the cause of it or not. He's about three months old now, but I'm not sure how old he needs to be before he can be fixed.

Does anyone have any clue what might be going on here and what I can do about it? By now I'm rather tired of washing blankets, the couch and baskets, and very tired of feeling a warm wetness on my leg...

And for the record, the two older cats are doing fine now and the Caper (my black cat) and Egon (the kitten) get along a fairly well together and she takes pretty good care of him, even though he does clearly drive her crazy often. Hannah (my white cat) wants nothing to do with him at all; much to my surprise, I thought it would be the other way around with Caper and Hannah-- Hannah being the more loving one and Caper being pissy. I guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Blue Leader; 12-09-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

It could be that his litterbox is in a high traffic area and he doesn't like it, but I would definitely take him to the vet's to make sure he doesn't have any health problems, but until then try moving the box, also how many boxes do you have? Generally speaking you should have one box per cat and a spare, now I do understand that not everyone has room for a lot of boxes, but you should try to aim for at least two. God luck!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-10-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

It's not really in a high-traffic area per se... Our kitchen has a small room next to it where the back door is (which isn't really a back door, it's just a door there that faces the front of the house, not the back-- makes no sense to me), and that's where the litter box is. While the kitchen gets a lot of traffic, that little room does not. 'Course, maybe it's enough for him not to like it.

I had thought of there being something wrong with him health wise, but other than this he's entirely fine. And he only does this peeing on a blanket once a day, always at night between 9 and 11 PM when everyone has started to go to bed, including the two older cats. Some nights he doesn't do it at all, though he has for the past three nights.

I am going to try putting down another box to see if that makes any difference. Hopefully it's just that...
Just last night he did it again while I was about to fall asleep. Ugh, I'm almost out of blankets now.
Unread 12-10-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default Cats doing their business on blankets

My cats do something similar. They seem to love scratching about on fuzzy blankets, pillows, plastic garbage bags, and newspapers on the floor. I think the act of scratching around stimulates them into doing their business. My female cat behaves very well, but one of the males pees in certain places, and he KNOWS its wrong and is going to be put in the garage for a couple of hours (which he HATES). The other male sometimes pees, but more often takes a smelly dump on top of a plastic bag or blanket or on his OWN favorite pillow!

The female cat's major flaw is that she overeats and regurgitates "ropes" of partially digested cat food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
Greetings,

So, anyway, everything has been going pretty well (excluding Egon, the kitten, constantly attacking bare feet-- ouch!), but for some reason he's been... well... peeing in places he shouldn't be. It doesn't happen every day, though it does happen somewhat often (four times now in the past two weeks). And it's usually on a blanket, which unfortunately is usually on me... ugh.

At first I thought it was just something about that blanket, but yesterday he peed on another blanket as the other was in the wash (and the new one was, again, on me). A day or two before that he peed in a clothes basket; thankfully nothing was in the basket, but my blanket theory was out the window at that point.
He does use the litter box so it's not like he isn't litter trained... And while he's the most hyper kitten I've ever seen, he doesn't really seem to be nervous or scared when he does it, in fact last night he simply walked calmly up to the couch, jumped up onto the blanket and started relieving himself while giving me a look like "yeah, I'm peeing, what are you going to do about it?"
And it's not like he can't make it to the box either, as when he did it yesterday he had just come out from the kitchen... The litterbox is right next to the kitchen, so he would've been only a few feet from it. Not to mention the litter box was fairly clean, too.

So I'm not sure what's going on. He clearly doesn't care when he does it and as soon as he's done goes back to jumping on everything he can find, though he has been scolded for his relieving himself there (not badly, just sharp "nos").
He isn't fixed yet, which I don't know if that might be the cause of it or not. He's about three months old now, but I'm not sure how old he needs to be before he can be fixed.
Unread 06-23-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

MissAshley is on a distinguished road

It's hard to tell conclusively until you get him fixed, as he could be doing it for any number of reasons. Maybe he really likes the blankets (or blankets in general) and wants to claim them for his own. Especially since he is around other cats, this could be the problem, and it could explain why he pees on them while you're using them. My advice is to pick him up whenever you see him peeing, and carry him to the litter box. Hopefully the association will kick in.
Unread 06-23-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for the reply. Though for the last two or three months he's stopped doing it. Don't know why, he just stopped all of a sudden as quickly as it started in the first place.
Not that I'm complaining. It's nice to not have to wash the blankets every other day.

Now if he'd only calm down a bit and stop terrorizing the other two cats (and the rest of us). Ugh, I swear he must eat a bowl of sugar every morning. :P

Tags
advice , attacking , black , black cat , box , cat , cats , clean , crazy , female , fixed , food , health , house , hyper , jumping , kitten , litter , litter box , litterbox , morning , moving , nervous , new kitten , night , peeing , problems , scared , scratching , small , vet , wash , window

Sponsored Cat Links