It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default Dry cat food comparison

My dad tends to buy the cheapest dry cat food he can find for our 3 cats. That turns out to be Meow Mix. I have noticed that the cats puke up semi-digested cat food DAILY. I suspected that the problem was the FOOD. I persuaded my dad to get Purina's "Friskies" instead of Del Monte's "Meow Mix" and the puking has stopped! YAY!

Del Monte is known for low-cost, low-grade foods for both pet and human consumption. Buy a can of Del Monte fruit cocktail and you will notice that it is mostly syrup with not a lot of fruit. The explanation I found about Meow Mix causing vomiting is that it is the result of using excessive levels of dyes in the food to make it pretty to the humans buying it. Ironically, cats are color blind! (color vision is sacrificed to give night vision). Also, I put down 2 identical bowls of cat food - one with Meow Mix and the other with Friskies. All 3 of the cats consistently refused to eat the Meow Mix when given the choice to eat the Friskies instead! No matter what I did with the bowls, they would sniff at the Meow Mix, not eat a bite, and go over to the Friskies bowl to eat that instead! I should have a film crew come in to make a commercial for Purina's Friskies! : )
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

Interesting experiment. But cats are NOT really color blind - they have the ability to distinguish between blues and greens, but lack the ability to pick out shades of red.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 12-16-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Meow Mix and Friskies have a TON of by-products. I've tried them both, and both cause major stomach upset in both my cats. I feed Nutro now.
Unread 12-16-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap food

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
Meow Mix and Friskies have a TON of by-products. I've tried them both, and both cause major stomach upset in both my cats. I feed Nutro now.
I think you are right. Although the 3 cats like Friskies FAR more than Meow Mix, they have also puked on Friskies once so far.

Problem is, my dad looks for the lowest priced food and buys that. Any recommendations for a cheap cat food?

I used to breed cockatiels. They are typically about 3 times the size of a parakeet and have a crest similar to a Cockatoo and also an orange spot on its cheeks like a cockatoo. I had about a dozen of them in an aviary in the backyard. My parents decided that WILD bird food was good enough for them! They failed to successfully have any offspring with the wild food and all of the birds died from various health related diseases within 2 years. Somehow they figured that food that cost 1/10th the amount of what they should be eating would be just as good.
Unread 12-16-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

The price really depends on the store, I've found. I get a 30lb bag of Nutro from Petco, for about $25 a bag. Not too shabby.
Your parents are on the wrong train of thought..just because it's cheap, does not mean it is good!

Tags
birds , bite , breed , cat , cat food , cats , color , commercial , dry , eating , food , found , health , hey , interesting , mat , meow , night , pet , problem , puking , upset , vomiting , wild

Sponsored Cat Links