It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

CatsAndTanks is on a distinguished road
Default Skin allergy help?

My seven year old tabby, Lucy, has been suffering from some type of skin allergy for about a year now. Its crusty lesions on her skin, it started between her shoulder blades, spread to her back, tummy, ears, tail, neck, face. They didn't seem to bother her much at first, then she started biting and scratching herself as they got worse. They turn into scabs and her fur falls out. It started after she got her rabies shot last winter. I thought the rabies shot may have caused it but the vet says no. She has been on steroid shots for the last 6 months, the lesions gradually clear up after she gets the steroid shot and she stays clear for close to a month. She has been on a limited ingredient dry cat food diet as well for these last 6 months (first venison, now green pea) to try to see if the allergy is caused by food (chicken was suspect). The limited ingredient diet does not seem to be helping, as the skin allergy comes back as soon as the steroid shot starts to wear off. She had her last steroid shot a few weeks ago and the vet says she can’t have anymore steroid shots because they would weaken her imune system too much with continued use. She can continue on steroids if taken orally; however, we’ve had a very difficult time trying to keep her on oral medicine, she gets so stressed out from the dread of having to be given her meds that last time she was on oral medication she withdrew and stayed in hiding most of the time. We've tried pill pockets, she either won't eat them or if she takes a bite she spits out the pill. She doesn't eat much canned food either, she loves dry food (Iams Original was her favorite).

The vet has done cultures for mites and fungus which have come back negative. She says our next step will be to meet for a consultation and talk about having her seen by a dermatologist.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation, suggestions, advice?

peggy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lucy.jpg (23.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Lucy1.jpg (29.4 KB, 3 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi, sorry you are having such a bad time of things with Lucy. I don't have experience of this problem, apart from my cat Ben suffered with a flea allergy which made him get bald patches - but we managed to control it.

Lucy is such a pretty cat, I do hope you are able to get this problem resolved.

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-30-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

CatsAndTanks is on a distinguished road
Smile Lucy

Thank you for your kind words. It was so upsetting. Lucy is doing great. However, she is on steroids (prednisone, I believe) and probably will have to be for the rest of her life. She had tests for skin allergies, mites, fungal infections, etc. and all were negative. We tried low allergen and limited ingredient diets. Nothing helped. The vet put her on steroids and that was the only thing that worked. She started w/ a higher dose and gradually went down to 1/2 pill every other day. Her skin and coat are clear and she seems her old self. The vet said cats can stay on this low dose long term with no ill effects.
The Following User Says Thank You to CatsAndTanks For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-01-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Oh that is terrific news! I missed your thread when you first posted, but I am very happy to hear that you and your vet have found a solution for Lucy.

And thanks for coming back to up date. Lucy is a beautiful kitty! She looks a little like my Mazy cat. Just love those brown tabbies! (upper right in my avatar)
Unread 10-16-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

whitney01 is on a distinguished road

Consider also the foods that you are giving to your cat. Sometimes some of the cat foods can give skin allergies to them..

Tags
advice , allergies , allergy , beautiful , bite , biting , brown , canned food , cat , cat food , cats , diet , dry , dry food , food , found , fur , great , happy , hey , hiding , kitty , mites , pill , problem , rabies , scratching , steroids , suggestions , tabby , type , upset , vet , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links