It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-08-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Zoey Noire is on a distinguished road
Default Need help deciphering how my cat is adapting to new kitten...

Hello everyone! First off let me say, I greatly appreciate any and all advice that you guys offer me. Okay here is the scoop. I have a one year old spayed female Bombay named Zoey. We recently rescued a kitten from the Shelter after seeing her on the news that she was looking for a new home. It just broke my husband's, my children's and mine heart when we saw her and we got her the next day (we named her Bailey).

Anyways, we brought her home yesterday for the first time. We didn't try to forcefully introduce Zoey and Bailey. I know that you are supposed to keep them sequestered from each other for a little while, but the problem is that Bailey is 12 weeks old and only weighs 1 lb 1 oz, you can literally feel every single bone in her body through her fur!! She is currently on antibiotics for her cold, and ear drops for ear mites so we really need to keep a close on her at all times to make sure she doesn't take a turn for the worse.

I am a stay at home mommy/homeschooler to my 2 kids, so I have plenty of time to give to both of my cats but I can't stay locked away in my bedroom all day either. We have been very careful to try to eliminate any "territorial" issues. Bailey has her own litter box, her own bed, her own food and water bowls, her own blankie and toys. We have been giving Zoey lots of extra love and attention, and make sure to wash our hands after petting Bailey before approaching Zoey (for two reasons, a. because Bailey is sick and we don't want to pass it on to Zoey and b. that way we wont have Bailey's scent on us and make Zoey jealous).

The first day we brought her home, Zoey sniffed her and then promptly hissed at her. We did not yell at Zoey, we just comforted her and talked softly to her telling her it was ok and be calm. Over the last two days, Zoey has occasionally sniffed Bailey, and is generally curious of her. She watches her when she is up and moving around (though not stalking type behavior, more of like "hmmm what is this thing" curiosity.) Sometimes when she sniffs Bailey, she doesn't react negatively at all, and other times she will hiss at her or even hiss at her and growl softly. She has never been physically aggressive towards Bailey (ie. no baring of the fangs, no arched back, no hackles raised, no tail switching, no swiping or pouncing etc)

So my question is, do you guys think that Zoey is adapting relatively well to the situation or do I need to attempt to do the seclusion (though I have no idea how in the world I would be able to manage that and still be a mommy, wife and teacher lol. You can say my plate is a little full). I love all my fur babies, they aren't just animals to me, they are a part of my family. I have two Yorkies, one male and one female, and Zoey has been around them all her life so she has had social interaction with dogs but never another cat. Thanks so much for your help, I just don't know what I would do without this forum to help me along! You guys are the best!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I think Zoey is adapting well to the new kitten. It certainly sounds as if she is coping better than my first cat did when we got another cat. Just give things a bit more time and I'm sure everything will be fine.
You are doing the right thing giving Zoey lots of reassurance and attention.
By the way, you have done a very kind thing giving this kitten a caring home.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-09-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Good news! Last night Bailey was playing with a scrap of paper she found on the floor (isn't it hilarious that such simple things fascinate kittens? lol) and Zoey was watching her play. Then out of the blue Zoey scampered up to Bailey, and Bailey laid down on her back and showed Zoey her belly, letting her know that she knew that Zoey was the dominate and she was the submissive. Zoey sniffed her belly, then leaned forward and licked her face and they played for hours on end! I was so happy
Unread 01-10-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Excellent news, Zoey has accepeted Bailey and there should be no serious problems now!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 01-10-2010   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey Noire View Post
Good news! Last night Bailey was playing with a scrap of paper she found on the floor (isn't it hilarious that such simple things fascinate kittens? lol) and Zoey was watching her play. Then out of the blue Zoey scampered up to Bailey, and Bailey laid down on her back and showed Zoey her belly, letting her know that she knew that Zoey was the dominate and she was the submissive. Zoey sniffed her belly, then leaned forward and licked her face and they played for hours on end! I was so happy
Awwww thats so sweet. Goy any pics? xxxxx
Unread 01-10-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I do have a few pics planning to upload them sometime this week Thanks everyone for your help!

Tags
advice , age , aggressive , another cat , antibiotics , behavior , belly , bombay , box , cat , cats , children , cold , dogs , female , food , fur , growl , home , kitten , litter , litter box , love , mites , moving , new home , new kitten , pet , playing , problem , problems , question , shelter , sick , social , spayed , territorial , toys , type , wash , water

Sponsored Cat Links