It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-20-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

shuranda is on a distinguished road
Default What is that odor?

My 10 year old spayed female has me puzzled. Lately she has become obsessed with "digging" away at anything that is on the floor next to my bed (plastic bags, shoes, clothing). What is puzzling me is that there is never any pee or wetness BUT she seems to be giving off some incredible stench which I can't even describe very well. It sort of smells like rotting soup. What could it be?
------------
One thing that annoys me with cats is that they often KNOW what they are doing is wrong, yet they will look right at you and do it anyway! One example is with that same female. There is one tiny bedroom in the house in which she is not allowed to go in, BUT every chance she gets, she runs in there. She never gets to stay more than a few seconds. She gets put out of the room, but then as soon as the door opens, she runs right back in again! She has done this several hundred times.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 01-21-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

It sounds like she has impacted anal glands, the vet can express them for her and that should get rid of the smell. Regarding going in the room that she isn't supposed to, cats are like that, they think that they are missing something, they also like all doors and windows open at all times, if not they expect you to get up and open them.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 01-21-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Unhappy Anal glands and poopies, oh my!

The odor being from the anal glands occurred to me, but I thought only males had those. I don't know. I don't think anything is impacted because she seems to have control over them. The only time I notice that smell is when she is digging around next to my bed.
Also, since changing their cat food from Meow Mix to Friskies, they puke less, but their poo smells 10 times worse! No more Friskies! I got a small bag of IAMS to try next. Ironically, I sometimes give the dogs the cat food just to get rid of the cat food (so I can try another brand). When the dogs poo, their stuff hardly smells at all, whereas on the exact same diet, the cats poo smells painfully bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuranda View Post
My 10 year old spayed female has me puzzled. Lately she has become obsessed with "digging" away at anything that is on the floor next to my bed (plastic bags, shoes, clothing). What is puzzling me is that there is never any pee or wetness BUT she seems to be giving off some incredible stench which I can't even describe very well. It sort of smells like rotting soup. What could it be?
------------
One thing that annoys me with cats is that they often KNOW what they are doing is wrong, yet they will look right at you and do it anyway! One example is with that same female. There is one tiny bedroom in the house in which she is not allowed to go in, BUT every chance she gets, she runs in there. She never gets to stay more than a few seconds. She gets put out of the room, but then as soon as the door opens, she runs right back in again! She has done this several hundred times.
Unread 01-22-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

No I believe that females can get impacted anal glands, the reason it happens whilst she is diiging around your bed is because she relaxes and I think the stuff 'leaks' out, I would still take her to the vet's just to be on the safe side.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 01-22-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

I looked it up a little, and now know that male AND female cats have anal glands. I wonder if those glands serve some purpose? Why don't they remove them when the cat is spayed or neutered? Or do they?
---------
I suspect one of the neutered male cats is giving off some odor also. In his case, it is a strange, slightly sweet smelling odor. It isn't an offensive smell, but it isn't something that smells pleasant either - kind of like the smell that a Subway sandwich shop gives off. It doesn't smell as bad as a beer factory though. Thank the lord for shutting down the fully operational beer factory that used to be in the heart of the Busch Gardens theme park in Tampa, Florida. That factory made a large area of the park smell stank for decades. The factory was there first, and the theme park grew around it. By the way, last year, they stopped giving away free beer! GRRR...
Unread 01-22-2010   #6 (permalink)
lmz
Newborn

lmz is on a distinguished road

If you think your cat is giving off the odor, you should call your vet and tell them about it. Maybe they would want to check it out.
Unread 01-28-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

catlover83 is on a distinguished road

That can indicate that your cat's anal glands are impacted. Consult your vet. Also make a habit of expressing the glands during bath time. The water will help minimize odor.
The night runs over him
like dark water

- Pablo Neruda

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|

|
Unread 01-29-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Default The sickening "sweet" odor.

Although there have been some horrendous odors due to changing brands of cat food, it had nothing to do with the strange, sickening odor I had mentioned. It turns out that a can of cherries was sitting in a nearby drawer. Although the can was not leaking liquid, it was S L O W L Y letting off moisture through the rusting can. The strange smell was rank coagulating cherry juice.
Unread 01-29-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

So there's nothing wrong with your kitty? That's excellent news!
Unread 06-12-2010   #10 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Why would there be cherries in your bedroom drawer?? Never mind...I don't think I want to know.

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
bath , cat , cat food , cat's , cats , diet , dogs , female , food , free , hey , house , kitty , male , meow , missing , pee , poo , shoes , small , smell , spayed , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links