It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

pinkfairygirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to pinkfairygirl
Default Greasy Patch

Hi my cat Melanie is 12 years old and recently I have noticed she has developed a greasy patch in her fur, on her back just before her tail starts, apart from that she seems to be normal and healthy as ever. Anyone know what the greasy patch is?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

pinkfairygirl is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to pinkfairygirl

Well I took Melanie to the vet on Tuesday, it turns out the greasy patch is because she isn't managing to reach far back enough when she is washing because she is over weight, the vet has put her on a diet and has told me to wash any patches that get greasy until she is able to wash properly again, but I'm afraid she'll never go back to washing herself now, anyone have any advice on how I can encorage her to wash when she has lost weight? Also any tips on the best way to wash her back? I was thinking of using a sponge with a little aloe vera dog shampoo and sponging her back if she will let me but not soaking her in a bath, I don't know if that sounds like a good idea or not?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-21-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi, I'm glad you finally got to the bottom of the greasy patch, I guess no-one here knew the answer

What you are suggesting sounds perfectly ok to me although I'm not an expert. You may well find that when she has lost some weight she will be happy to groom herself when she can reach - cats are naturally clean creatures and I'm sure Melanie wants to even if she can't at the moment.

I only had to bathe one of my cats once - Tippy came in covered in oil from the waist down, she looked like she had fallen in a container of it, what a nightmare that was - I had to use fairy liquid to get it all out

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 02-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Mokie is on a distinguished road

When I have had to wash my cats I have used baby shampoo, it is super gently and hypoallergenic and cheap!! I also just use the tough side of a baby cloth. Works well for me, hope that helps
Unread 06-23-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

MissAshley is on a distinguished road

My chubby kitty has a bit of the same problem, she can't quite reach that small area right before the start of her tail. I do recommend trying a little washcloth or sponge to keep the area clean. Her instincts should kick in and she will probably go back to cleaning herself once she can.

Tags
advice , art , baby , bath , cat , cats , clean , cleaning , diet , dog , fur , groom , happy , healthy , kitty , lost , problem , small , tips , vet , wash , weight

Sponsored Cat Links