It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-29-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

voldo37 is on a distinguished road
Default matted hair

Recently my Maine Coon cat Sampson had some matted hair between his front legs. Its really hard to comb his belly because he doesn't like to lay on his back except when I first come home from work and he lets me scratch his belly. Well, I started to work on it when I came home everyday and it has been a week since I stopped and today I noticed that almost all of the hair between his front legs is gone!! Holy cow - did I do that? I didn't use a comb when I worked on the matted hair - I just basically pulled the matted hair apart. Some of the hair did come out as I did that but he didn't complain as I did it and I certainly didn't yank the hair out - so what happened to his hair?? Will it grow back or is he going to be bald there now??

thank
Kurt
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-31-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Kurt, wow that must have been a bit of a shock! I know how hard it is to groom a Maine Coon. Sasha gets loads of mats as she hates being groomed (just recently I tried to cut one out and ended up cutting her - I felt awful as she had to have stitches ) I can't imagine that the fur won't grow back - are you sure it's related to your grooming though? One of my other cats Ben had a flea allergy and he ended up with a bald patch under his front arm, but it grew back fine. I'm in no way suggesting Sampson has fleas by the way - but just trying to think of any other reason, it doesn't seem possible that you could have groomed all his fur out?!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-01-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Stressed
Ceri Cat is on a distinguished road

Typical cause for hair loss in dogs and cats tends to be allergic reactions. In the case of a friend's German Shepherd (both deceased now sadly), he was allergic to pretty much everything a dog can eat, had massive hair loss problems as part of the allergic reaction. And the fact your companion didn't hiss at you for hurting him definitely suggests hair loss rather than grooming loss.
Unread 06-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

MissAshley is on a distinguished road

Cutting out the mats is a good place to start, and if you can't do it yourself, you should have a vet do it. Once you have a "clean slate", you can try to brush him as often as he'll let you. If that doesn't work, you can consider keeping the area shaved.

Tags
allergic , allergy , art , belly , cat , cats , clean , cut , dogs , fleas , fur , groom , grooming , hair loss , hiss , home , loss , maine coon , maine coon cat , mat , problems , scratch , stitches , vet

Sponsored Cat Links