It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jane Phillips is on a distinguished road
Unhappy HELP! They're attacking my laptop!!!

I know that sounds crazy, but I'm job searching right now and really need it to work. When they (Capone and Dillinger) jump up on the laptop while I'm using it, I simply say "NO" and put them back on the floor. I figure they'll get the message eventually. I know they like to sit on it because it's warm. My laptop sits on a bench in my living room. I sit on the floor in order to use it. There is nowhere else to put it, so-unfortunately-it's accessible to both my boys. Anyway, this morning, I found my laptop on the floor-upside down. It's very old and I really need it to work right now. I can't afford a new one. If I disconnect it and move it for the night, the battery dies and I must wait a few hours in the morning to get it to run. So, I must keep it where it is and plugged in where it is. The cats like to sleep in my room at night, but they obviously are up and down and in and out all night. Anyone have any ideas on how to make my laptop uninteresting to them? Especially when I can't be watching them? When I get a job, I'll get a new laptop and I won't care what they play with--but right now!!!!! Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-24-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Can you put it on the floor UNDER the bench at night, while keeping it plugged in? That way it cant fall on the floor because it already will BE on the floor. You could pile some phone books on top of it. Or put a laundry basket upside down on top of it with something heavy like phone books or hardcover books, so they can't knock off the laundry basket.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-25-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Can you put it on the floor UNDER the bench at night, while keeping it plugged in? That way it cant fall on the floor because it already will BE on the floor. You could pile some phone books on top of it. Or put a laundry basket upside down on top of it with something heavy like phone books or hardcover books, so they can't knock off the laundry basket.
Dear Aunt Kitty, I have tried putting my laptop on the floor at night, but they still move it around by themselves. BUT---I never thought about putting some books on top of it to make it harder for them to move! WOW! That's a great idea!! Sometimes it takes another POV to give some better ideas! I don't have a laundry basket--I take my laundry to laundromat in a plastic bag, so I can't do that. But, I really like the idea of the heaviness of the books! Thanks! Let's hope it works!
Unread 04-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheerful
tigger481971 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem with my Mimi while we've been in China. She was used jumping on the stove all the time. So I bought the Multivet SSSCat Cat Repellent Spray and that helped. The only thing getting on my nerves was, that it also sprayed whe I passed by, but if you only use it during the night and when you are away it might work.
Unread 04-25-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger481971 View Post
I had a similar problem with my Mimi while we've been in China. She was used jumping on the stove all the time. So I bought the Multivet SSSCat Cat Repellent Spray and that helped. The only thing getting on my nerves was, that it also sprayed whe I passed by, but if you only use it during the night and when you are away it might work.
Dear tigger481971, Thanks for the suggestion of the cat repellent spray. I've never heard of such a thing but sure am willing to try it! Sounds like what I'm looking for. Where did you purchase it from? Last night, I tried the suggestion from AuntKitty and althougth that did work really well--if I forget to put my laptop on the floor and cover it at night, I'll have the same problem. Then, what happens when I leave during the day and forget to cover it? Same problem! I sure love my "babies"--but sometimes!! Thanks to everyone for all of your help! Jane Phillips
Unread 04-25-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheerful
tigger481971 is on a distinguished road

I don't know where you are located, but I bought it from Amazon.
Unread 04-25-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Amazon? Sure, I can look on-line for Amazon! Besides, there's several books I'd like to order from them, too! Thanks again!
Unread 05-09-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheeky
imperialfelines is an unknown quantity at this point

put them in another room while you are on the laptop, simple.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to imperialfelines For This Useful Post:
Unread 05-09-2010   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialfelines View Post
put them in another room while you are on the laptop, simple.
Oh, if it were only that easy! See, part of the problem is that they jump on the laptop in the middle of the night-even when I'm in bed. The laptop is SO old that I have to be very careful when moving it. I can lose my signal all together! I've had a few suggestions that have helped. One is to move the laptop to the floor at night. Another is to cover it with heavy books so it's too hard for them to move at all. I've also been told to buy a spray that will keep them away from the laptop. I haven't tried that one yet, but it would be an idea to try on some of antique furniture that they use as scratching posts! I figured one problem at a time! Thanks so much for your suggestion!
Unread 05-09-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Sleepy
I<3cats is on a distinguished road
Default cat repellant

Quote:
Got mine from Amazon also works great.

Tags
attacking , babies , bat , book , books , boy , care , cat , cats , computer , crazy , dry , fish , found , fur , furniture , great , hey , interesting , jumping , kitty , love , money , morning , moving , night , picture , play , problem , scratching , sleep , small , smart , smell , suggestions

Sponsored Cat Links