It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-12-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alexs435 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat question

Hey everyone,

I love cats and would like to get one, but I'm still new to cats so I'm holding off before I do a bit more research. I came to this forum to read up and ask some questions.

My friend has a cat who is always hiding her things, from keys to pens and little toys. Have you guys experienced anything like this with your cats? Do cats often exhibit these tendencies? Do hiding spots vary or are they consistent?

Thanks in advance!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-12-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Busy
carrie is on a distinguished road

Hi There,

Cats in general are not known for taking and hiding things, like treasures. They do, however love to play with small items, batting them around the house, and sometimes walking around with their "kill" hanging out of their mouth!

If there are plenty of cat toys around, a cats sense of curiosity should be satisfied by them!

The "taking and hiding stuff" sounds like this cats personality quirk. If you do get a cat, he or she could surprise you with quirks, too!

Good luck, and Welcome

~Carrie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-12-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I have two cats. They don't actively 'hide' things but anything that interests them will be rolled off the table and often ends up under the sofa.
Provide them with plenty of toys but also be aware that non-toy items that take their fancy will be played with too!
Cats are notorious for performing 'gravity experiments' (as another member of this forum calls them) on objects. I quickly learnt that anything that is valuable, breakable or potentially harmful needs to be kept out of their way!
Cats are playful, intelligent, curious and determined, it's all part of their charm!
Unread 05-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Cheerful
TwoMits is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have 2 cats as well. The younger one, Mitsy, (about 10 months) loves to hide things! She loves chewing on her comb, and if I leave it out when I am gone, she will hide it! I am now on the 3rd comb I have had to buy since I adopted her (about 4 months ago). The thing is, I have not found where she is hiding them! I just have to keep buying more!

Also, sometimes I will notice I can't find a certain toy of theirs and that I haven't seen it in a week or two. Then, all of the sudden, it will be out in plain sight again. I suspect she is hiding these too!

As was already said, though, this is a unique trait. I have never had a cat do this before, and her older brother has never had much interest in carrying anything around in his mouth and hiding it!
Unread 05-30-2010   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi, my cats climb on the table and bat at small things like the plastic top to the milk bottle, tops to vitamin bottles, my ponytail holder, earrings, coins, pens, etc. They bat them to the edge of the table, and then off the table onto the floor. Then they jump from the table and bat the object around. They don't actually hide it, but they play. I have learned to keep small things that they can swallow out of their reach, just like if I had a baby in the house.
You said you want to do some research first. Well, when I adopted my kitties, I went to Petco to buy the litter box, litter, food, bowls, toys, etc., and I came upon a book they were selling called "Kittens for Dummies. I found it to be really informative. You may want to buy it. Good luck. I know you will just love your new kitty. I hope you will be getting one from a rescue or from the pound because there are just so many waiting to be adopted. Also, you may want to get TWO cats--they will be socialized easier, and will have each other for company when nobody is home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
adopted , baby , bat , book , box , cat , cat toys , cats , chewing , food , found , hey , hiding , home , house , informative , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , love , personality , play , question , rescue , small , toys

Sponsored Cat Links