It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-04-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jane Phillips is on a distinguished road
Default Scratch, scratch-----oh, those claws!

First, thanks to everyone for helping me to solve my laptop problem with my cats! Now, here's another one! Every 5 weeks, I've been taking Capone and Dillinger to the vet to have their claws trimmed. It's getting expensive. With no job right now, I can't even think of having them declawed. I do have a scratching post but it is the usual kind that has carpeting on it. Doesn't help much. Boy, do I feel their claws in the morning when they try to get me up to feed them-and the furniture is taking a beating! Isn't there something better than the type of scratching post that I have that will keep their claws trimmed? Or even a clippers that I could use without cutting off their paws? I'm kind of afraid to try that myself but if there is a good type out there for a claw trimmer beginner like me, I'd sure appreciate knowing what it is. Cats have owned me all of my life, but they were all declawed. Capone and Dillinger are the first two who still have their claws. S-C-R-A-T-C-H!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-04-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

I don't know of too many scratching posts that will actually trim their claws, but I do know there are a couple different types of claw trimmers you can buy, and most of them are pretty easy to use.

One like that is a standard model, there are others that are easier to use but more expensive. All you do pretty much is push their claw out and cut it.. Just be sure not to cut the quick as they'll bleed. The quick is usually quite a bit darker than the claw itself so it's not easy to miss. Like so::

Those claw trimmers are available just about anywhere pet supplies are sold.
Unread 06-04-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for the info on clippers. I have looked at some but they all seem backwards to us lefties. I'll keep looking, though. Maybe a more expensive pair will be more comfortable! When I was at the store today, I did see something called EMERYCAT. Promises you'll never need to clip your cats claws again. It's a long board with a bump in the middle. The insert is made of some heavy duty material that acts like an emery board. I wonder if that would work in the mean time? Anyone ever hear of that? I kind of get to wondering about products like this when it's only $20 to begin with. Hmmm!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-04-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I recall someone else on this forum using that once with a little success, though not nearly to the exaggerations the manufacturers of course are going to put on it.. You could try it and give us more of an idea
Unread 06-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Don't get the emery cat, it's a bunch of baloney. You have received good advice on nail trimming, next time you bring them in ask the person doing the trim to give you a training lesson on how to do it.

Regardless of your financial status, declawing should not even be in your mind. Please educate yourself as to what declawing actually is, it is amputation of the first toe digit.

It is also illegal in 26 countries around the world.....

England
Scotland
Wales
Italy
France
Germany
Bosnia
Austria
Switzerland
Norway
Sweden
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Ireland
Denmark
Finland
Slovenia
Portugal
Belgium
Brazil
Australia
New Zealand
Yugoslavia
Malta
Israel

DECLAWING: What You Need to Know

It is also banned in 6 cities, so far, in the USA.

West Hollywood
Santa Monica
Beverly Hills
Los Angeles
San Francisco

Norfolk, VA

In the link provided you will also find info on what is actually done to cats who have their toes amputated.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-05-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

I've always known what declawing does to a cat. I could think of no other option, since not only are they getting to the furniture but destroying my skin, too. I've looked at the attachment you've sent and noticed an ad for THE MONDO, scratching post made of sisal. Looks interesting, since all the boys have now is one made with carpeting-and it's so short. You know, the usual. I've read the testimonials, but of course, testimonials can mislead. Especially since the manufacturer puts them in the ad. Has anyone else purchased this product? It looks like it may do the trick. Between that and learning to clip the claws myself, I may have the answer to my problem.
Unread 06-05-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I wish you luck
Unread 06-06-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Phillips View Post
I've always known what declawing does to a cat. I could think of no other option, since not only are they getting to the furniture but destroying my skin, too. I've looked at the attachment you've sent and noticed an ad for THE MONDO, scratching post made of sisal. Looks interesting, since all the boys have now is one made with carpeting-and it's so short. You know, the usual. I've read the testimonials, but of course, testimonials can mislead. Especially since the manufacturer puts them in the ad. Has anyone else purchased this product? It looks like it may do the trick. Between that and learning to clip the claws myself, I may have the answer to my problem.
Oh yes, multiple surfaces are a must, plus they need variety such as tall ones, and flat ones. If you look at my album in my profile you will see one type of scratcher, that all my cats love. I also have a tall sisal post one I got recently. (pic attached)

You can build your own things for them too. You can eve build them a kitty condo from boxes. Cats love cardboard boxes.

the kittens have to be trained to use these things. When they are scratching on your furniture, simply gently pick them up and take them over to their own furniture. In addition, kittens learn by example, so YOU scratch on their furniture too and they will copy you.

As for when they scratch you, when they do it during Games or petting, stop the activity immediately, say NO KITTY (use name) firmly, but not yelling, and turn your back. Ignore for a few minutes then go back to the activity. After three times, get up and leave the room, ignoring kitten.

This will take time, but they WILL learn.

Sometimes kittens get over stimulated. If you learn their signals you can help them have success in their training. Watch for eyes going wide and wild, and fixing on a part of your anatomy. (such as staring at a tender part of your arm) Watch for rippling back, ears laid back, etc. Once you know their signals you can stop the activity BEFORE they get to the scratching point.

As they learn you will see them start to remember to stop before scratching. When you see this have a Praise Party!

Last edited by acerlt; 08-04-2014 at 12:42 AM.
Unread 06-11-2010   #9 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--I tried emery cat and my cats NEVER used it. They just went underneath it and tipped it over. Needles to say, I have since donated it to the church thrift shop. I am a lefty too, but I have learned to use scissors and clippers with my right hand because they don't seem to make any for us lefties. Anyway, uou should try to use your right hand. But I agree--get a lesson first on clipping. I clip my cat's nails about every week or two. Sometimes i can't clip all of them before my cat moves away, but I aalways give a treat afterwards so they relate nail clipping with treats. good luck. By the way I just sent you a long repy and it did not pring--it said I am not logged in even though the top of the page says welllcome AuntKitty. I hope this one prints out.

Oh, I forgot to tell you--when my cats were kittens and used to scratch too hard while playing I would look them in the eye and hiss at them, then walk away. It might sound silly but it was effective

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-11-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Hi--I tried emery cat and my cats NEVER used it. They just went underneath it and tipped it over. Needles to say, I have since donated it to the church thrift shop. I am a lefty too, but I have learned to use scissors and clippers with my right hand because they don't seem to make any for us lefties. Anyway, uou should try to use your right hand. But I agree--get a lesson first on clipping. I clip my cat's nails about every week or two. Sometimes i can't clip all of them before my cat moves away, but I aalways give a treat afterwards so they relate nail clipping with treats. good luck. By the way I just sent you a long repy and it did not pring--it said I am not logged in even though the top of the page says welllcome AuntKitty. I hope this one prints out.

Oh, I forgot to tell you--when my cats were kittens and used to scratch too hard while playing I would look them in the eye and hiss at them, then walk away. It might sound silly but it was effective
Hi Aunt Kitty! I got this note from you. Thanks for the info! I didn't go with Emery Cat, mainly because of what everyone said about it here on this web page. I instead found some clippers that I think will work well with my left hand. Sure looked like it in the store! They're from a company called Whisker City and ony cost about $6. I'll try them tonight--maybe! So much packing to do since I'm leaving town for a week or two starting next Monday. I feel like I'm deserting my babies! Even though the cat sitter will probably spoil them rotten!!!

Tags
addition , advice , bleed , boy , cat , cats , claws , clip , clipping , cut , eye , eyes , fur , furniture , games , hey , interesting , kittens , kitty , love , morning , nails , person , playing , problem , scratch , scratching , training , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links