It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Go Back   Cat Forums - I-Love-Cats - your Ultimate Cat Forum > All About Cats > Cat Advice
Register

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

eveolene is on a distinguished road
Default How to stop my cat being bored, and how soon can she be spayed after giving birth?

Basically, my cat had kittens 2 weeks ago, and I can't risk letting her outside until she's been spayed. People keep saying I can't get her spayed yet, but she's going mad with boredom inside. She's been boredom eating, raiding the kitchen (she's never stolen food before) and harassing her kittens. When she can't think of anything else to do, she'll jump into their box and wake them all up, then gets confused when they start crying. I've tried playing with her, but she gets bored of any new toys I think up so quickly. 5 minutes of playing with her and she just walks away. I try to make the games as energetic as possible so she gets the exercise, but it's clearly not ideal for either of us.

To make all of this worse, the house is baking hot and can't open any windows. It can't be good for her to be in this kind of temperature, particularly since cats are so awful at knowing when they need to drink.

I know she really just needs to get outside and be a cat, but there's no way that I'm risking her getting pregnant again. Someone suggested a cat lead to me, but I think the idea of putting a cat on a lead is horrible. What can I do to help alleviate her boredom, and how soon can I get her spayed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-16-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road
Default It's indded a 'dilema'

Quote:
Originally Posted by eveolene View Post
Basically, my cat had kittens 2 weeks ago, and I can't risk letting her outside until she's been spayed. People keep saying I can't get her spayed yet, but she's going mad with boredom inside. She's been boredom eating, raiding the kitchen (she's never stolen food before) and harassing her kittens. When she can't think of anything else to do, she'll jump into their box and wake them all up, then gets confused when they start crying. I've tried playing with her, but she gets bored of any new toys I think up so quickly. 5 minutes of playing with her and she just walks away. I try to make the games as energetic as possible so she gets the exercise, but it's clearly not ideal for either of us.

To make all of this worse, the house is baking hot and can't open any windows. It can't be good for her to be in this kind of temperature, particularly since cats are so awful at knowing when they need to drink.

I know she really just needs to get outside and be a cat, but there's no way that I'm risking her getting pregnant again. Someone suggested a cat lead to me, but I think the idea of putting a cat on a lead is horrible. What can I do to help alleviate her boredom, and how soon can I get her spayed?
Sound to me,taht your cat is slightly immature for a mother,and of course lead or leash is not so horrible ,and why your apt is too hot?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangy View Post
Sound to me,taht your cat is slightly immature for a mother,and of course lead or leash is not so horrible ,and why your apt is too hot?.
BTW I had a female cat,and as almost soon as I get her I was on my way to the local shelter for spaying,the last thing I needed was litter of cat,I had some landlord,that didn't and once his cat had a litter He wanted to get rid of her,(he wanted to throw 'em all in the river) but I agreed to take 'em off his hand,and eventually found a cat rescuer to take 'em all.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-16-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
She's a first time mother. She did belong to our neighbours, who abandoned her when she stopped looking like a kitten. By the time we realised they'd completely abandoned her (they were still living there, just not feeding her or letting her inside) and took her in, she was already a month pregnant. My vet said it was too far along for it to be safe to spay her and terminate the pregnancy (this should answer the other part of your post; I'm not as ignorant as many pet owners and had I actually gone out and bought a cat myself, it would have been spayed/neutered straight away). I have good homes for all of them, and will be keeping one myself (she'll be spayed at 9 weeks).

My flat is hot because I can't leave any of the windows open. As I've said, everything I've read says I can't get her spayed yet, and I'm not going to let her outside and risk her getting pregnant again. My flat is the bottom half of a house, with a lovely patio door and a decent sized garden, but if I leave the patio door open, she'll get out. There are at least three (presumably intact) male cats on my street. Since the only convenient room to have the kittens in is the living room, I can't relocate her and them and air the living room. As the biggest room in the house, and with the most electronics (two computers, one of which I use for work, so it's pretty much always on), it gets baking hot in here when the weather's "nice". I crack the door open a little bit and block up the bottom so she can't get out, but it really is just a crack (she's managed to push it open before, so I can't take any chances).

I would love to let her go roam outside so she can keep herself entertained, and get some exercise. Ideally, if I could get her spayed now, I would so she could have that freedom again. She's been a wonderful mother so far, and I know she wouldn't go too far away from the house, but if I let her outside now, she'd definitely end up pregnant again.

And before anyone mentions it, there's no way I could possibly block off my garden so she couldn't get out of it, nor do I have any desire to spend that much money on the garden of a house I don't own.
Unread 06-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I think you could get her spayed. Ask your vet. I'm sure the heat is bothering her. Don't you at least have a fan to get the air moving? Can't you open the window two inches? Also, I walk my cats on a leash and it is far safer for them then to roam around and maybe get hit by a car, attacked by a dog or other cats, or abused by a horrible human. Also, indoor cats, on average, live 3 times longer than cats that are allowed to roam freely

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 06-20-2010   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

orangy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
I think you could get her spayed. Ask your vet. I'm sure the heat is bothering her. Don't you at least have a fan to get the air moving? Can't you open the window two inches? Also, I walk my cats on a leash and it is far safer for them then to roam around and maybe get hit by a car, attacked by a dog or other cats, or abused by a horrible human. Also, indoor cats, on average, live 3 times longer than cats that are allowed to roam freely
Good and logical reasoning,point out to knowledge of facts.
Unread 06-21-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Thanks for you reply.

I called the vet and they won't spay her until the kittens are weaned, and my vet is really busy, so I couldn't get an appointment until the 23rd of July.

I'll explain the layout of my house a bit so this makes more sense.

In the living room, there's a big sliding door. She can get out of this even if it's only open an inch. It's hard to keep an eye on her when I'm working, even though my desk is right next to the door. In my room and my flatmate's room are three windows, two that hinge on the side, one that hinges at the top. The top one is safe to open, but my flatmate's girlfriend is mildly allergic to cats so he doesn't let the cat in his room at all, and if the door in there gets left open, she will go in and explore. My top window is always open. In the bathroom is a small top hinged window that's always open, and in the kitchen is a large top hinged window that she can escape from, and has in the past. I keep a fan in the hallway, but with so few windows that can be opened, it doesn't really do much.

I have managed to cool the house down a little with the cooler weather we've had lately, but the moment the heat picks up again, I know it's going to be baking in here.

As for the lead idea, I honestly just don't like it. She's been an indoor/outdoor cat her entire "adult" life. She hates being picked up, or stroked unless she specifically comes looking for attention. My worry with the lead is that she'll struggle out of it and run off. On the few occasions she has gotten out, she's just wandered around the garden. It's not so much her straying that I'm worried about, it's her being on heat with three impressive males around. And I'm definitely not worried about her getting run over or attacked by a dog. There aren't any dogs anywhere near my house (rather odd, really), unless they're just really quiet ones. My road is so quiet, and I know she tends to stick to the three gardens around ours. I like her to have a bit of freedom, and I could never permanently confine her to the house. Maybe indoor cats do live longer, but I'd rather have a cat that lived a short, exciting, tree, grass and prey filled life than a long, boring one with nothing but sofas, food and toys. That's just my personal opinion on it, though, I'm not trying to insult you.

Um, now can we please move on to what I can do to keep her entertained?
Unread 06-23-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

MissAshley is on a distinguished road

My cat seems to be entertained by just about anything. I've bought her toys, but sometimes I'll be sitting around the house and she'll run by, chasing a twisty tie that she found in the floor, or one of the wraps off the top of a milk jug. A rubber band, even. Not all kitties are alike. Mine is a hunter, so she loves anything she can chase. A little ball that she can bat around might be good, or something as simple as some yarn tied to the end of a stick. Laser pointers can also be lots of fun.
Unread 06-23-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAshley View Post
My cat seems to be entertained by just about anything. I've bought her toys, but sometimes I'll be sitting around the house and she'll run by, chasing a twisty tie that she found in the floor, or one of the wraps off the top of a milk jug. A rubber band, even. Not all kitties are alike. Mine is a hunter, so she loves anything she can chase. A little ball that she can bat around might be good, or something as simple as some yarn tied to the end of a stick. Laser pointers can also be lots of fun.
Thanks! Some good ideas there that I'll definitely try. Thankfully, now that the kittens are bigger, more demanding and more playful, she's started playing with them a little bit and spends most of her time keeping an eye on them, which does keep her fairly occupied. She's also taken an interest in chasing flies around the house, although there are obvious flaws in this, since she doesn't have wings . I've still not found something that really keeps her occupied, though. She doesn't seem to enjoy playing alone (my mum's cat is the same as yours, she'll chase little twisty ties or marbles; it might be because my mum's house has no carpets, though, and those kinds of items will go skidding across the floor). Even if she does find something to keep herself busy, it bores her quickly (i.e. She'll push a pen around my desk, then when it falls on the floor, it loses it's fascination, even if placed back on the desk and rolled around a bit). I guess some cats prefer to chase things that are more animated, which generally involves either something alive, or human interaction. I do enjoy playing with her, I just feel incredibly guilty when I have to stop and actually do some work.

Tags
art , birth , box , car , cat , cats , crying , dog , dogs , eating , eye , facts , female , food , found , games , heat , hey , house , indoor , kitten , kittens , kitty , laser , litter , male , money , moving , opinion , pet , playing , pregnancy , pregnant , shelter , small , spay , spayed , stop , struggle , toys , wake , weaned , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links