It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-10-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

littlegrey is on a distinguished road
Default Very Timid Kitten

I just brought home a little rescue kitten and I need some help. There were four kittens that had been dumped and this very nice lady took them in and cared for them and is now finding them homes. I was sold on a little black and white male but brought home the little grey female instead. She was very shy and had to be caught, while the other kittens were happy to attack my shoes. I'm not sure what persuaded me to bring her home other than I felt bad because I knew she would be harder to find a home for and I wanted to try and win her over. I have no idea where to start other than just giving her what she needs and trying to just catch her and pet her when I can.

How can I win her over?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-11-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

madcatdisease is on a distinguished road

A couple of years ago I took in two feral kittens who were convinced that I was a monster planning to eat them, so I know where you're coming from!

It does take a lot of time and patience to get a feral kitten to love and trust you, but it can be done! With my kittens, I spent a lot of time just being in the same area as them, talking to them and getting them to play with me by using long interactive toys that allow them to play with you, but at what they perceive to be a safe distance. Like the Petlinks System Plume Crazy Teaser Wand from Petco (sorry, tried to provide a link but this stupid site wouldn't let me)

Handling them is also important. I was actually being overly cautious with my kittens at first, as I didn't want to frighten them by picking them up against their will. But then they got really sick and I had to give them medicine every day. They ran and hid from me every day for the first three weeks, but after they started to realize that I didn't intend to hurt them, they eventually stopped running and, by the end of the month, they started coming up to me on their own.

At that point I also had to train them to allow me to pick them up for extended periods of time. I would pick them up and put them down as soon as they started squirming. At first they'd start pretty much right away but the times they would allow me to hold them grew longer and longer. Now I have to pull them off me to put them back down!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
pinkcar36 is on a distinguished road

get a laser light also they love to chase the light around, and get some little treats so thatyou can get her to come to you and trust you. sometimes even milk would work but you might want to get some kitten milk.
Unread 07-26-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

tavi-cat is on a distinguished road

From my experience, most cats are won over with food. Try different treats until you find one that she likes. Eventually, she will warm up to you and be a great pet.

Tags
art , attack , black , cats , crazy , female , feral , food , great , grey , happy , hey , home , homes , hurt , kitten , kittens , laser , links , love , male , nice , pet , play , rescue , shoes , sick , timid , toys

Sponsored Cat Links