It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Fine
wlund is on a distinguished road
Question New Cat - Kismet *VERY long POST*

We recently adopted a cat into our home after the cat we were taking care of for a friend went home, I really missed having a cat in our home. And a friend of mine and my boyfriends told us this story:

Our cat Kismet, as they renamed her was found in her backyard huddling on some sort of storage unit. My friend assumed she lived close by and that she would go home when she was hungry. As some cats like to roam outside and then head home. But every time she came home from work she would see this cat still huddling on the storage unit. So for about 9 days this continued on, until my friend realized she didn't have a home to go to. When she brought Kismet inside her fur was knotted and in clumps, and the fur on her tail and her bottom was the worst of it. She managed to get most of the clumps out except for her bottom. She would have kept Kismet but her other two cats, siblings from the same litter did not like her at all and kept attacking her. She fought back against the male but the female just did not want her there. So she started looking around for another home for kismet.

Long story short we adopted her, at first my bf was hesitant because we had to put our beloved Kada, aka. baby down as he suddenly went nuts, hissing and scratching at us. We tried to leave him alone for a few days to see if he would get better but he wasn't eating, drinking or even using the bathroom and so we had to eventually put him to sleep it wasn't an easy decision for either of us. But we ended up adopting this beautiful cat, i think she's about a year old. Not sure if she's fixed yet, or pregnant either so i have to schedule an appointment with a vet soon, I'll post some pictures up at the end of this post. But she's very timid, i understand she needs some time to get used to our place as she's just recently had a very stressful experience in a very short span of time. She tenses up whenever you go near her bottom, and she doesn't like to be groomed either, she'll allow it up to a point but if you go near her bottom again she tenses up. This is a problem as the fur near her bottom is very clumped. We tried to cut the clumps out but stopped once she started to panic and get away.

I want to help her adjust quickly to her new home, and hopefully get those dreadful clumps out of her beautiful fur. We and our friend think she was abandoned by someone when they moved. Unfortunately the city we live in is not very pet friendly, we're lucky our landlord overlooks our cats. I've got a collar on her right now thats just temporary until i can get her one with our information on it so if she ever gets lost she'll be returned home quickly. I also want to know if there's anything out there that'll help with hairballs, as she doesn't like the treats we have for her that help control hairballs. she also seems to prefer wet food over dry food or maybe she just doesn't like the brand. We usually use whiska's but are unsure of the brand we have now as our friend provided us with it. She's very timid, moving around the house like she's going to be forced to stay in a corner or something, she also tenses when you pet her although she's gotten a bit better. I want to give her a bath at some point but unsure if she'll react well. I already have a scratching post but unfortunately her claws get stuck in the fabric. I've never really cut a cat's claws before and aren't really sure how to go about it. We're both letting her take her time to explore the house and get used to us.
Kismet was also chosen by my friend because it means fate or destiny in turkish i think, she believes she was supposed to rescue kismet because she would have died if she hadn't brought her in. She could barely use her back legs when my friend rescued her

Also i've never had any real problems with any of my past cats that i've had to take them to the vets before, so is there anything i should know before i book the appointments? And how can i tell if she is fixed?

Kismet, or catnip as my bf calls her since he can never remember her name

will post pictures somewhere more appropriate!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for giving Kismet a home, and my gratitude also to your friend for rescuing her. I'm sorry for your loss of your beloved Kada.

The very first thing to do is to get her to the vet. The vet can tell you if she is spayed or not (they usually feel for a scar, may need to shave her to look for it)

They can teach you how to trim her claws too, and do it there the first time to give you time to work up to it at home (help on that later) They can also shave off those mats on her bottom. She may need to be sedated for that, the vet can tell you.

She should be tested for FeLV/FIV.

It sounds to me like she has been abused. You are doing well letting her adjust at her own pace. Wet food is better for her anyway so I would encourage you to continue with a canned food diet for her.

Hair balls can be controlled with a hairball remedy such as laxatone, cat lax or petromalt (I use all three, in rotation) If she won't eat it off your finger, just swipe a blob onto her forearm and spread it thin, so she can lick it off.

Welcome to the forum, and please keep us updated on Kismet. I look forward to seeing pictures of her.

By the way, a feliway plug in diffuser and/o some rescue remedy can go a long way toward helping her adjust and feel more secure, poor little girl.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-22-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Well so far so good, she's calmed down a lot, yeah im planning on taking her to a vet on my next cheque which shouldn't disappear into bills. She's pretty relaxed now and at ease with the place. She still gets angry if you go near her back paws i was feeling around her legs to make sure she didn't have any scabs or open wounds from when she was being pushed around by other cats. and she swatted at my hand when i touched her back leg. It wasnt a painful swat she did it without claws. So she's still pretty touchy on that. We've managed to comb most of the clumps out. She'll sit still for about 15 -20 minutes while we brush her and then she leaves. she's a lot more vocale now meowing when i or my boyfriend come near her and coming up to us for affection.
Unread 07-22-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Aww....I'm so glad Kismet is settling in. It sounds like something back there is hurting her. It could be the mats, and mats are extremely painful.

If you try splitting a mat by hand (slwo, but less painful for kitty) you will see how the mat pulls the skin up and twists it. The skin from a wide area is pulled up and twisted into a mat. It really hurts!

It could also be an injury, you mentioned she couldn't use her back legs. She may even have been hit by a car.

Or worse, people do terrible things to cats. Try to check and see if you see any wounds on her feet, one of the more "popular" evils people do is to wrap rubberbands around a cat's feet (or neck). The rubberbands eventually cut off circulation and the cat looses her feet (or chokes to death if it is around the neck)

It's lovely to hear she is talking to you more.

I'm glad you are getting her to the vet soon
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-22-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

she wasnt' hit by a car not to my knowledge or my friends, i think it was because when my friend found her she barely had any strength to move from where she was hiding. She was so weak and hungry she could barely use her back legs, and it didn't help that my friends cats didn't like her and kept trying to attack her every chance they got. I also found something for hairballs that im going to be picking up next cheque.
Unread 07-25-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Thank you for adopting Kismet--you're a good person with a good heart. How someone could just abandon a living, breathing creature is beyond me. You seem to be doing all the right things for your cat, and you got very good advice from Acerit. Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 07-27-2010   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Chatty
courtney&griffin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to courtney&griffin Send a message via twitter to courtney&griffin

I sincerely thank you for adopting Kismet. I volunteer at shelters & see people just drop off cats left and right for reasons from not being financially able to just not wanting them anymore. It's a great thing you did, to bring her in. If you want to keep Kismet on dry food, I'd suggest Blue Buffalo. When I switched my cat from wet Meow mix (which is terrible for you cat) he would only eat the Buffalo Blue. They have a longevity series also that's got a ton of healthy ingredients & vitamins. There's absolutely no byproduct in the food, which is another plus. As far as her bottom, it could be the mats that's bothering her, but it could also be worms. Not only can they cause diarrhea, but they can stop up a cat and/or cause pain in the rectal area. She definitely needs to get to a vet and I'm glad to hear that you're taking her. I wouldn't bathe her until you take her there. She's sounds as though she's adjusting appropriately & I would love to see pictures of her!

"A man who carries a cat by the tail learns
something he can learn in no other way."
- Mark Twain

Tags
adopted , attack , attacking , baby , beautiful , bills , book , canned food , car , care , cat , cat's , catnip , cats , claws , collar , cut , diarrhea , diet , dry , dry food , eating , female , food , found , friendly , fur , girl , hey , hiding , hissing , home , house , litter , lost , lucky , male , meowing , moving , new cat , new home , pet , pictures , pregnant , problem , problems , rescue , scratching , siblings , sleep , story , timid , wet food , won't eat

Sponsored Cat Links