It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

terry is on a distinguished road
Default aggressive kitten

hi everyone,i have a question. i've had 5 cats for years(4 neutered males/1 spayed female) and they all get along fine.yesterday, i rescued 2 8week old kittens(both males) and one of them is very aggressive to my older cats. i thought kittens were supposed to be submissive to the big guys? this one will arch his back,fur on end,hiss,spit,growl ,and lunge toward my older cats which actually scares them!(except scipio my"tough-guy" will growl back and the kitten will back down then). i 'm wondering if i should give him away?( i have several people who would take him ,but i wanted the kittens to have a playmate).is this normal for a kitten to be so aggressive?should i wait it out and hopefully it will work out over time or am i asking for trouble keeping this aggressive lil guy? thanks for any input,terry
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-24-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--A good way to get new additions to the family to get along with the others is to first put the new ones in a room by themselves for a few days to get used to their surroundings. Put food, water, and litter box alng with toys in the room. Go into the room alot and pet and play with them, but don't let them near the resident cats. After a couple of days wipe them with a small towel to get their smell on the towel. Put the towel out for the resident cats to smell it. Then after a day or two, switch. Put the resident cats in the room where the kitten was. Put the kittens in a closed carrier and put the carrier in the middle of the room so that the kittens can feel safe and the resident cats can go over and sniff, etc. Make sure you pet the resident cats at this time. Don't pet the new kittens or the resident cats may get jealous. You need to introduce new kittens, cats, puppies, dogs, etc, SLOWLY. You can't just throw them into the mix and hope for the best because there will be territorial fights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

terry is on a distinguished road

thankyou for responding to my question auntkitty.i am doing what you suggested and 2 of my older cats have wanted to go in the room and check out the kittens. they touched noses before running out but big improvement!! thanks again,terry
Unread 07-25-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road
Default Aggressive kitten

Oh good--I'm glad it's working out better.. Take it slow and don't rush.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
aggressive , box , cats , dogs , family , female , fights , food , fur , growl , hey , hiss , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , pet , play , question , small , smell , spayed , territorial , toys , water

Sponsored Cat Links