It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Katzie105 is on a distinguished road
Default Super Clingy Cat

Before I get to my question I want to talk a little bit about my cat...I'm not sure entirely what breed of cat I have, we adopted her out of a pet store from a woman who takes in strays and abandoned kittens.

We think she is part Maine Coon, but she's not 100%.

She has a personality that I've never seen in any cat before. She is extremely talkative. All she does, all day long is "Meow! meowmeow! MEOW!" She is also extremely intelligent. I've never seen a cat as smart as she is. And I'm not just saying that because I'm biased b/c I'm her mom

We have never had her sent to an official trainer, but she LITERALLY knows what we say when we speak to her. If she's being a little mischievous I'll say, "Abella, stop playing with things that are not yours, go get your toys and play with them." And she will walk all the way down three flights of stairs to the basement where her toy basket is, and she will grab a squishy ball and bring it back and play with that.

Or, if she's laying somewhere other than her designated beds around the house someone will say "Abella, where are you supposed to be?" and she does a little back-talk of "mmrwwoowowwww" but she'll grudgingly pick herself up and then go plop onto her bed with a look that says, "FINNNNEEEEEEEEE RU HAPPY!?"

She also will listen to me when I call her from anywhere in the house. I will say loudly, "ABELLAAAAAA!!!!" and she'll come running from wherever she is and will come to me.

She also fetches like a dog! We throw her foam balls down the short flight of stairs to the basement and she flies after it, picks it up in her mouth, comes back up the stairs, drops it at our feet and then stares at us as if to say, "Again?" And it repeats over and over and over.

She follows me around everywhere. This is where my question comes in. She is SO clingy. I have never met such a clingy cat in my life. Even my mother makes comments, "Aren't cats supposed to be independent?" She literally will follow me around EVERYWHERE. She's perfectly content just laying in my arms while I go around the house doing what I need to do. She never struggles and would lay in my arms forever if they didn't start cramping with her weight. If i go outside on the deck, she has to stay inside behind the screen door and she will literally CRY her face off and whine.

Honestly, with all that is said here, do cats normally act like this? I feel like she's a baby in a cat body, just so smart, always listening, paying attention, being super affectionate with licking, and eye kisses, etc.

Could all her clingyness be bad for her in the long run?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

jadeparis6 is on a distinguished road

I think that it is perfectly normal, my cat is like that too, just that she doesn't talk as much. But my other cat you can have like a full conversation with. And i think that it wont be bad for her. She is a very smart cat indeed, so I would say its normal and you don't have to worry about anything and you have a great friend!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-04-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I agree. She's just being who she is. Congratulations on your new lovey talky furbaby!
Unread 08-08-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Cats aren't "supposed to be" anything other than what they are--some are independent and others are VERY affectionate. Sounds like you have a really great kitty!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-08-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Awww she sounds like such a sweetheart! I agree with everyone else. You shouldn't have anything to worry about! >^-^<

Tags
adopted , affectionate , baby , beds , breed , cat , cats , clingy , color , dog , eye , great , happy , hey , house , kittens , kitty , licking , maine coon , meow , personality , pet , playing , question , smart , stop , strays , toys , weight , worry

Sponsored Cat Links