It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten
Default Having some sanitary issues!

Ok I'm usually not that big of a germaphobe and I can understand that cats have to step in their own feces and urine to do their business. But I adopted two 7 week old kittens (now 8 weeks as of yesterday) and the girl I got them from told me that the mother had her litter in the litter box (guess she took the term "litter box" the wrong way) and she'd always pick them up and put them by/in it. Now, my kittens love laying next to the litter box and around the toilet and I just think it's so gross! I got them a cozy cat bed and they're allowed on MY bed, but they prefer the bathroom. My bathroom is separated (sink and tub in the open and toilet in it's own room. There's a cabinet in the toilet room and I left it open one day. I came back to my room looking for them and found them cuddled up in there. I was so happy that they found a cleaner place to lye in and still feel secure, but sometimes, I still find them lying and playing behind the toilet!! It seems like an impossible problem to fix and maybe a little mean to take them away from their comfort zone (not to mention it might confuse them about using the litter box if I keep them away from it), but maybe I'm just not thinking outside the box. Any suggestions??

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-06-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to the forum! These kittens are very young and did leave their mother too soon to learn as much as they should. As the get older and more steady on their feet they will not step in their waste so much when they use the litter boxes. Make sure you keep the litter boxes clean so they have a better chance of not stepping in stuff.

If you don't want the kittens hanging round the toilet (but really, surely you clean your bathroom, so how dirty could it be?) move the litter boxes some where else, and shut the bathroom door so they can't get in there, until they forget about it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-06-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Yeah I know, I didn't realize that she was giving them to me so young. Her mom made her get rid of them asap.

And I'm not talking about just using the litter box. I said I understood that part and I clean it like 2 or 3 times a day. But the lounging under the toilet part grosses me out because they kick their litter out on the floor and lay in that. I sweep up the litter everyday and wipe the area with a disinfectant wipe, but it's still the toilet and it's just gross imo. I'm definitely not moving the litter box out of my bathroom, so I guess I'll just deal with it. Hopefully they'll grow out of that later. Thanks for your advice tho
Unread 08-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome. First of all I like your little play on words--the mother cat took the term litter box the wrong way. I live in a small house and have to have the litter box (yes "box" as in singular--I know, they say you should have one more box than you have cats.) Well I have two cat and the only place I can find room is in the bathroom in front of the sink--besides having a small house, I have a postage-stamp-sized bathroom. I got the cats when they were exactly 8 weeks old and bought a covered litter box. Well, the kittens used to kick the litter out of the box, and not just a little bit of litter either. I'm talking about it used to look like it snowed on my bathroom floor!!!! They kicked it all over the floor and all over the bath mat. Then they would roll around and lay in it--yuck!!!! I tried every kind of litter and they were a little better with Fresh Step multiple cat clumping litter. But they still kicked alot out. Finally I found a closed litter box that has the opening in the TOP for the cats to crawl in----no more kicked out litter. Maybe if you buy that kind--it's called Clevercat Top-entry litter box; I bought it at Petco--they won't want to roll around in it by the toilet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-09-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
Hi and welcome. First of all I like your little play on words--the mother cat took the term litter box the wrong way. I live in a small house and have to have the litter box (yes "box" as in singular--I know, they say you should have one more box than you have cats.) Well I have two cat and the only place I can find room is in the bathroom in front of the sink--besides having a small house, I have a postage-stamp-sized bathroom. I got the cats when they were exactly 8 weeks old and bought a covered litter box. Well, the kittens used to kick the litter out of the box, and not just a little bit of litter either. I'm talking about it used to look like it snowed on my bathroom floor!!!! They kicked it all over the floor and all over the bath mat. Then they would roll around and lay in it--yuck!!!! I tried every kind of litter and they were a little better with Fresh Step multiple cat clumping litter. But they still kicked alot out. Finally I found a closed litter box that has the opening in the TOP for the cats to crawl in----no more kicked out litter. Maybe if you buy that kind--it's called Clevercat Top-entry litter box; I bought it at Petco--they won't want to roll around in it by the toilet.
I like Aunt Kitty's suggestions way better than mine!

I don't like enclosed boxes myself, but perhaps this will work for your situation. Especially since you do keep the box very clean. Three times a day is great.

You can make your own, if you're handy. Buy a large rubbermaid tote box, and cut a hole in the lid.

Let us know how things go!
Unread 08-09-2010   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Thanks guys! For laughing at my litter box funny and for the advice. But I hate enclosed litter boxes. Way too bulky. My bedroom is huge and I can't wait to fill it with cat trees and posts and make it a kitty paradise but my bathroom isn't big enough for an enclosed litter box anyway. However, in my mom's bathroom, there's a big gap in between the toilet and the sink.. perfect for a litter box! lol But the good news is is that I haven't seen them lye in the toilet area in a few days now. There's no telling if they do it when I'm not home, but hey. Out of sight, out of mind! Well sorta.. because I still see them stepping in the litter box to potty lol. But I decided that I'm gonna get some lysol or some other disinfectant and disinfect my bed a couple of times a day It's so funny because my cousin is a HUGE germaphobe (at restaurants she soaks her silverware in boiling water, before using them) but she has a cat and her 4 year old chihuahua still isn't trained and she pees all over her bedroom lol
Unread 08-10-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

When I saw the litter box with the hole cut out the top, it DID look like a rubbermaid storage box and I was thinking of making y own--just cut a hole in the top, bit then I was concerned about sharp edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 08-10-2010   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yeah you could put some tape around the edges, but they could get gross and annoying to change it. I just googled the clever cat and it DOES look like a rubbermaid lol I'm sure it is haha But yeah my kitties pretty much only go behind the toilet just to relieve themselves now and oh well. I'm over my sanitary issue. It's mind of matter and I love my kittens and they're poopy paws lol they don't actually have poop on their paws btw. It's just that the bacteria is there even if you can't see it.
Unread 08-10-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val_Kitten View Post
Yeah you could put some tape around the edges, but they could get gross and annoying to change it. I just googled the clever cat and it DOES look like a rubbermaid lol I'm sure it is haha But yeah my kitties pretty much only go behind the toilet just to relieve themselves now and oh well. I'm over my sanitary issue. It's mind of matter and I love my kittens and they're poopy paws lol they don't actually have poop on their paws btw. It's just that the bacteria is there even if you can't see it.
Wait....you mean they are peeing or pooping behind the toilet instead of in the litter box? I totally missed that's what you meant. Oh, ick, no you definitely don't want that. You might need to get some cat attract litter to encourage them to use the litter box instead.

You'll have to use an enzymatic cleaner specially designed to remove cat urine odor, or they will continue to think it's okay to go there. And block off behind the toilet with a box or something, anything, just to keep them from getting back there, until the habit is broken.
Unread 08-11-2010   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lol no! I keep the litter box in the S.E. corner of the toilet room. So it's basically behind the toilet. But they haven't been laying back there anymore! yay! They're both getting really comfortable with me, so they must've just been going back there because it's where they felt the safest

Tags
adopted , advice , age , box , business , cat , cats , clean , cut , found , funny , girl , happy , hey , home , house , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , lazy , litter , litter box , litter boxes , love , mat , moving , pictures , play , playing , problem , profile , scared , small , suggestions , urine

Sponsored Cat Links