It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-16-2010   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten
Default Are they getting enough playtime with me?

As you know, I have two 9 week old kittens, Tartuffe and Fleur. I work 40 hours a week. I play with them and keep them company for like two to three hours before work, and another 2 or 3 hours after work. On my days off however, I usually spend most of the day in my room with them, but sometimes I go shopping or I'll spend some time in the living room. Is that enough playtime a day for two kittens that play with each other all day as well? They're only allowed in my room (which is huge and has a bathroom too) and sometimes, I just need to go in the living room, eat dinner, read the mail, watch TV... but on work days, I feel guilty, like I should be spending every moment that I'm not working with the kittens.

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi--I think that's great that you are so dedicated to your babies. As long as there are at least two kitties, like in your case, they will have each other when you are not home. I think you are definitely spending enough time with them, but why can't they have the run of the house? Cats do need to run and play and if they are indoor-only cats it would be good for them to have as large an area to run as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-20-2010   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Damnit, I hate technology! I just wrote this big reply and as I went to submit, something happened and it went back a page, erasing my reply. But anyway.. They can't have the run of the house, because there are places in the kitchen they can climb into, (the gap on the side of the refrigerator, holes under cabinets) and too many cords to chew on. Also, now that they're after my birds, I moved them to the dining room, so I can't let them run the house until they've gotten a new home anyway. When they mature, I'll let them run the house.
Unread 08-20-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

The same thing happened to me twice when I wrote long posts. I complained to admin and got a reply (I think the reply was from AK49BWL) He told me that I got 'TIMED OUT' and to prevent that from happening again go to the upper right-hand corner where it says "Welcome Val Kitten" and click on it. It will say "remember me" or "remember my something-or-other--I don't know the exact wording, but you will not get timed-out. If you have any problems write to admin and they will walk you through the steps. If anyone is reading this post and can explain it better, please help Val Kitten with this annoying, frustrating thing. Thanks. Anyway, I understand now why your kitten can't have the run of the house--you are being a responsible mommy. I just figured tht the kitty could spend more time with you going from room to room with you , but not if she can fall through holes or chew cords.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-21-2010   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Well the holes under cabinets aren't not holes they can fall into, but crawl into. And Tartuffe went behind the refrigerator and I couldn't coax him out. I had to pull the fridge out (praying that he wouldn't get smashed in the process. So yeah... and then also now the birds. But they have tons of stuff to play on in my room in the meantime But it sucks because my schedule just changed. Now I'm working 12 - 9. I sleep in until like 8-30 or 9, I get up and eat and stuff. Then I stay with my kittens for like 2 hours and then off to work. When I get off work, I shower and eat and by then it's usually about 10 and my bedtime is between 11-12 ugh! But I think I'll start back up with the midshift next week. I'm hoping!

Btw, that thing about my stuff being erased. I don't think it was the site, I'm pretty sure it's just this ultra sensitive laptop. But thanks
Unread 08-21-2010   #6 (permalink)
Top Cat

That must have been scarey (having to move the refrigerator with the cat behind it). What about getting a cat sitter for an hour or so in the middle of your shift. She/he can spend time with the cats playing with them, petting them or just being there for companionship. They do have each other for companionship and they probably sleep a good portion of the day, but if you feel its not enough you may want to look into pet sitting. Or maybeyou have a friend or family member that would be willing to do it. You may feel more comfortable that way.

Unread 08-21-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

lol yes I was the one with that reply AuntKitty. What other admin is there (No, seriously though, what other admin is there?)

Val, you could try what I do when I know I'm going to be typing a lot... I open up Notepad (or MS Word if you prefer) and type everything in there, save it to a temporary location, then copy and paste the contents to the post. Or, just write the post, and copy it, hit send, and if it doesn't work you can just go back and paste.
Unread 08-22-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntKitty View Post
The same thing happened to me twice when I wrote long posts. I complained to admin and got a reply (I think the reply was from AK49BWL) He told me that I got 'TIMED OUT' and to prevent that from happening again go to the upper right-hand corner where it says "Welcome Val Kitten" and click on it. It will say "remember me" or "remember my something-or-other--I don't know the exact wording, but you will not get timed-out. If you have any problems write to admin and they will walk you through the steps. If anyone is reading this post and can explain it better, please help Val Kitten with this annoying, frustrating thing. Thanks. Anyway, I understand now why your kitten can't have the run of the house--you are being a responsible mommy. I just figured tht the kitty could spend more time with you going from room to room with you , but not if she can fall through holes or chew cords.
I write my posts in my e mail function and then copy and paste over to the reply box, this prevents that timed out issue. Posts that are going to take more than a minute or two I mean.

Val as was said I think your kittens are getting plenty of play time from you so I am sure they are being well socialized and it sounds like your room and bathroom is enough room for them. Do you have a cat tree for them, because elevated space is what they need most.

If you have any friends you trust, it would be a good idea to have a friend over now and then to play with them to help socialize them to other people besides yourself.
Unread 08-24-2010   #9 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yeah my mom was in town for a couple of days and tonight was my salon manager's going away date so we went to see "vampires suck" lol I didn't spend as much time with them as I would've like but things are back to normal for a few days. Then, I'm going kayaking for my birthday. Will be gone all day and night and the next day will probably be spent visiting fam. But they seem to be pretty content and I'm gonna get them a cat tree for Christmas, but I'm probably gonna get it in November. Maybe even as a Halloween present lol Thanks for all your advice everyone!

Tags
advice , babies , birds , birthday , box , cat , cats , cats playing , changed , christmas , family , friends , great , hey , home , house , indoor , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , new home , pet , play , playing , present , problems , save , shopping , sleep , type

Sponsored Cat Links