It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-18-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default Advice on introducing a puppy with cats.

This is incredibly foresighted, but I wanted to start getting tips and advice way before adopting a puppy. This probably wont happen for at least a year, when my fiance and I eventually move into our own place. By then I will have 2 cats (my two, the other 2 siamese are my dad's and will stay in this home). Mine are both boys, one is 1.5 years and the other is about 8 years.

I really want a dog eventually, and after looking at breeds,temperament and lifestyle we have decided to possibly go with a shiba inu in the future.

So what are the best ways to introduce a puppy to my cats, and the best ways to keep my kitties comfortable through that change? I concern about stressing them out, neither have had much contact with dogs and I really don't have any experience with this (except when a friend occasionally brings one over and they all just go hide).

Suggestions and tips are greatly appreciated so I can start preparing and learning for this.

Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

First of all I would get a mutt (or whatever) at a shelter instead of continuing this greedy breeder/puppy mill business. There are so many animals just waiting to be brought home and loved. I'm thinking that an adult dog would be better suited for a person with cats because a puppy will b running and jumping all over the place scaring the cats. Anyway introduce them very slowly. Put the dog in a separate room for a few days. Then switch. Put the cats in the room where the dog was and put the dog where the cat were. This gives each one the opportunity to sniff each others scents. Eventually put the dog in the center of the room in a carrier, kkeeping the carrier closed. Eventually the cats will be curious and go up to sniff the new dog. Make sure they are constantly supervised by you for the first month at least. Do not leave them aone with each other. When you feel comfortable, open the carrier and let the dog come out onit own and let the cats goup to the dog on their own under careful watch from you. Just keep taking small steps. Make sure the dog's food dish is not near the cat's food dish and let them have their own space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
adult , advice , art , breeder , breeds , business , cat's , cats , dog , dogs , food , hey , home , introducting , jumping , kitties , person , puppy , shelter , siamese , small , tips

Sponsored Cat Links