It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-01-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Pensive
TJ2010 is on a distinguished road
Default Cat's behaviour has changed in the past few days, i'm concerned

He was sick a couple of nights ago and there was a tapeworm in his vomit. Since ten he has slept a lot and doesn't seem himself, he's less playful and a bit distant. Yesterday as he was coming in i leaned down to stroke him and i bonked on the head and he shot off like a rocket!

Since then he has been running away from constantly and going to the doors and meowing forlornly and scratching at the door! It was because i didn't let him out that i found out he had tapeworm in the first place so i don't know if he's desperate to get out because he wants to be sick or he's trying to get away from me cause i bonked him on the head! I read that cats behaviour changes when they're ill but could the tapeworm be causing him to act like this. We go on really well before this all happened so i can only assume it's related but he is a bit bonkers!

Finally i asked friend to get some drontel but he couldn't so he got me BM Spot On Dewormer instead. I'm really concerned about using this from everything i've read so can someone please clarify that it's safe to use this. My friend had never had issue using BM dewormer on his dog and he found it to be effective so i don't know what to do, i don't want to risk poisoning Cesar.

I don't know what's going on. If it carries on like this i won't be able to keep him. I hope it is the tapeworm causing these changes in his behaviour as he was a great cat before. Anyway, that's about enough! Thanks for reading, i hope someone can shed some light on what's going on. Cheers,

TJ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

I thought this would be a good place to ask.

I've got most of the answers from phoning pet shops and searching the web but i'm now stuck on how to apply this spot on dewormer! Has anyone got any tips on how to hold down a cat and simultaneously apply dewormer to the skin while parting the fur?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

You can try trapping kitty between your legs.. Try this:

Get down on your knees, close your feet together and get kitty to where he will be backing up into the "cave" you've just made. Then lean down over him, and since he'll have nowhere to go, you can do your work... Just watch he doesn't try to bite you during the process, which I'm not as sure about helping you on, lol. Good luck!
Unread 09-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

DON'T use OTC dewormers on Ceaser. Very very dangerous. And not likely to work.

Ceasar needs to be seen by the vet. He will need a flea treatment and a prescription broad spectrum de-wormer called Drontal. That is the only safe thing to give your cat, medications that come from the vet.

Please, bring Ceaser to the vet.

Welcome to the forum, please keep us updated.

Please do not use the OTC de wormer on your cat. It may have been okay for dogs, but cats are VERY different. Please, don't use it.

<edit>PS bring a stool sample with you. He most likely has more than one kind of worms.

Is he neutered? How old is he? How long has he been with you?

Last edited by acerlt; 09-03-2010 at 06:25 PM. Reason: to add
Unread 09-03-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

AK49BWL: I think that would work. He's not too fiesty but he doesn't like to be held.

Hi. I spoke to a few pet shops and they told me that the Bob Martin stuff was OK. They're a long standing company although there has been a lot of controversy over their flea treatment which apparently has poisoned and even killed some cats.

The general consensus is don't use their products but one pet store i spoke to is well regarded and assured me they would not sell anything that could pose a risk to a pet. I know otc in general is bad but BM is supposed to one of the better ones.

I almost did apply the treatment earlier but i found it difficult as i posted above! I think i'll wait till i see the vet next week. Cheers and thanks for the welcome.
Unread 09-03-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ2010 View Post
AK49BWL: I think that would work. He's not too fiesty but he doesn't like to be held.

Hi. I spoke to a few pet shops and they told me that the Bob Martin stuff was OK. They're a long standing company although there has been a lot of controversy over their flea treatment which apparently has poisoned and even killed some cats.

The general consensus is don't use their products but one pet store i spoke to is well regarded and assured me they would not sell anything that could pose a risk to a pet. I know otc in general is bad but BM is supposed to one of the better ones.

I almost did apply the treatment earlier but i found it difficult as i posted above! I think i'll wait till i see the vet next week. Cheers and thanks for the welcome.
Of course they are going to tell you the product is okay, they sell it in their store.

You are not talking to veterinary professionals, you are talking to minimum wage employees. I know a few people who work in those kinds of stores, there is no training, and the workers will say anything you want to hear.

You can find plenty of testimonials on the internet from people whose cats have gotten sick or died from using OTC products, including Bob Martin. Not all do, some are lucky, but why take a chance?

I'm glad you won't risk Cesar's health and possibly his life by using this product. As I mentioned, if he has tapeworms it's very likely he has other parasites too. Roundworm and Hookworm are very nasty things. They get these parasites either from fleas, and/or from hunting and eating vermin.

Tapeworms are zoonotic, meaning they can be passed to humans so use very strict hygiene while cleaning litter boxes and places he has slept. You may see little piles of what look like rice in places Cesar has slept. Those are indications of worms.

How is his behavior now, has he calmed down from his fright when you accidentally bonked him? (I hate it when that happens, it's an awful feeling to know you've hurt and frightened your beloved furbaby)

Keep us posted! (and bring a stool sample with you when you bring him to the vet, so they can test for exactly what kind of parasites you are dealing with)
Unread 09-04-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

Yeah i understand that but they said they wouldn't sell it if it was harmful. The place i spoke to is regarded as one of the top pet centres in the country. Google paws for thought leeds and you'll see what i mean. That's why i called them, they do employ knowledgeable people.

I've read enough negatives about the BM dewormer to stop me from risking it though. It's a shame that Cesar will have to be stuck with these 'orrible things for a few more days but it's just not worth the risk.

I've seen no evidence of worms at all other than when he was sick so maybe it's not too bad atm. He's actually quite active and is out all the time. He responds when i play with him and we playfight all the time (i may be the one to start it though hehe ).

I'm pretty sure he's over the bonking now as i'm am constantly woken throughout the night by him trying to find a place to sleep on me and he's not running away anymore. He really seems to respond to what i'm saying which i find amazing.

I may have an issue getting a stool sample in time as he toilets outside. I'll call the vets on monday to check if they really need one. Cheers.

Last edited by TJ2010; 09-04-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Unread 09-04-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thanks for the update on Cesar! I'm glad he's finally forgiven
you.

A stool sample will allow the vet to know which kind of worms Cesar has, often cats have more than just tapeworms. Most can be treated with the broad spectrum Drontal, or the spot on Profender (both by prescription through your vet, only)

Since he goes outside, he should be wormed every three months. All outside cats should be wormed regularly.

I urge you to get some litter boxes and teach Cesar to use them. Keeping track of a cat's bathroom habits is very important. Often the first indication that a cat is ill shows up in a change in litter box habits. How will you know if he has diarrhea, or a urinary tract infection (which can be fatal in a male if left untreated)?

I'll be watching for an update.
Unread 09-05-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello to you & Cesar!
You are right to get a dewormer from your vet. The dosage needed can depend on the size of your cat. Both of my cats have had tapeworm and were prescribed different dozes as one cat is only small.
Your vet can also prescribe a 'spot on' dewormer (Frontline do one) as it may be easier than trying to get your cat to swallow a tablet.
Be sure to check your cat for fleas too as cats can catch tapeworm from ingesting fleas. That's how my two became infected.
Check where your cat sleeps & grooms himself. As Acerit says if you see anything that looks like small grains of rice or sesame seeds it indicates tapeworm.
My vet (I live in the UK) didn't need a stool sample. Please don't think that worms aren't too bad, tapeworms can grow really big and will affect your cat's health. I was horrified by the size of worm that my cats 'passed' (sorry for being gross!) and they hadn't been infected for long.
Good luck, let us know how Cesar is!
Unread 09-05-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Helen! I agree with your excellent post except for one thing, it is Revolution that treats worms, not Frontline. Revolution for cats and Advantage Multi for cats treat hookworm, roundworm, and heartworm, in addition to fleas.

But not tapeworm, that has to be treated by droncit.

Last edited by acerlt; 11-25-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Tags
art , behavior , behaviour , bite , cat , cat's , cats , cave , changed , cleaning , diarrhea , dog , dogs , eating , found , fur , great , health , hey , home , hurt , infection , internet , kitty , litter boxes , lucky , meowing , mites , night , pet , pet food , play , scared , scratching , sick , sleep , small , tips , vet , vomit

Sponsored Cat Links