It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-14-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

whipy is on a distinguished road
Default 17-yr-old cat with arthritis peeing outside litter box

Hey everyone,

I've had my cat since I was 11 years old, I'm 28 now. For the last few months, she's been peeing outside her litter box. She just puts her front paws in and pees on the floor. She's had arthritis for over a year and we've been giving her drops for it, but she's still too stiff to sit down on her bottom. Sometimes she steps into her box entirely but pees over the rim.

We've tried just about everything: putting newspapers and paper towels on the floor, building her a wooden construction around her box, putting kitty litter outside of her box, buying her a lower box... It's as if she steps onto the litter with her front paws and gets a signal that it's okay for her to go.

My parents want to put her to sleep: when we get up in the morning, the house smells like cat pee because she did her thing in the middle of the night. Not exactly the ideal way to start off your day and have breakfast next to, I agree... And I know that it's driving them up the wall. But I just can't face having her put to sleep because other than this, according to the vet she's a healthy cat, and she's been my comfort and support for the past 17 years.

I can tell that sooner rather than later my parents and I are going to start having serious fights over my cat's fate. Does anybody have any idea how we can make her pee on her box again? I'm really desperate... It's a matter of life and death, quite literally...

Thanks in advance,

Jo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-15-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Your senior kitty may have other health issues causing her to not use the litter box.

Please take her to the vet for a complete check up. She needs blood work to check kidney function and thyroid and other organ function, and a urinalysis to see if she has a urinary tract infection (highly likely, judging by your post)

What "drops" is she taking to treat her arthritis?

Senior cats need special health care and regular check ups. They often show no signs of being ill for a long time, by the time they show symptoms usually they have been sick and in pain for a long time.

And missing the box is a classic sign of urinary tract infection, which is very painful for her, but can also indicate diabetes and kidney failure.

She needs medical attention right away, please don't delay in getting it for her, she may be in some pain.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

KlaraMontalban is on a distinguished road

Hello acerlt

Congratulation to your senior cat
Yes whipy is right go to vet and let check her inner.

I´ve also this kind of Problems better say also my costums with their old cats....

Often it s so that the cat have hurts in the patella/musculoskeletal system.
You go in the rigth direction, other cat litterbox lower it´s good but often they need also a bigger one ( in Germany the company Trixie ave these Jumbo litter boxes ...) ...

My senior cats get no "drops" they get medicine from vet .... here it calls Metacam (when it´s not allowed to named than please cancel the word :-§) ....

And yes I know .. it´s medicine what passing renes .... and liver .... BUT the reason is a high qualitiv for life. So I give Metacam (get only at Vet) to all my senior cats what have havey problems with their "bones". In most of chases the peeing ends, because they have no more hurts ......

Greetings from Germany Berlin

I hope all come all right
Unread 09-24-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I know metacam is approved for use in cats in Europe, but I hope you are getting regular blood work done to check their kidney function..

I would not, will not, allow the use of metacam in my cats. It can cause acute kidney failure. In all their charts at the vet is says:

NO METACAM.

Yes, quality of life is important but there are other, safer options, for arthritis pain, at least in the USA there is.

Welcome to our forum!
Unread 03-17-2015   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

azdedmon is on a distinguished road
Talking Elderly Cat Litter Box Challenge Solved

Our elderly (20 years) arthritic cat is great about going to the box but his aim is way off.
Our solution was a shower curtain liner from the dollar store, then the litter box with plenty of puppy pads all around it.
This weekend we switched his box for to a small wadding pool (9.99 at Kmart) with a side opening cut for him to enter. This works WONDERFUL ! He can enter without struggling to step over the side like the litter box and he has plenty of room to turn around.
No more expensive puppy pads needed and no more stumbling cat. We also love the corn type litter. It clumps well but does not adhere to the cats paws like cement like some other brands.
Unread 03-20-2015   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

WhiskersInTheWind is on a distinguished road

I have a multiple cat household, so innapropriate elimination is common for me. Usually, if they are unhappy with the litterbox situation or are in pain/discomfort, they will urinate outside the box. It is difficult to stop. With my cats, the smell of mint in the problem area seems to deter them (somewhat).
Unread 06-02-2015   #7 (permalink)
Banned
Cool Cat

andrewgrayson15 is on a distinguished road

Please take her to the vet for a complete check up. She needs blood work to check kidney function and thyroid and other organ function.

Tags
box , care , cat , cat's , cats , classic , diabetes , fights , health , healthy , hey , house , infection , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , litterbox , mat , medical , missing , morning , night , peeing , problems , senior , senior cat , sick , sleep , vet

Sponsored Cat Links