It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

millydixie is on a distinguished road
Default lymphoma for 2 years? Cant handle

HI, Any advice would be great. Rusty is 9 years old. He was diagnosed with lymphoma 2 years ago. He was on prednisone, but the only thing it did was make him lose his hair to where he was getting sores on his feet. I put socks on him with neosporin and quit the prednisone. Thankfully he healed great. He was also on sulfursaline. If i spelled it right. Nothing helps. The meds make him worse. In worse I mean He has diareah big time. He did lose weight and always hungry. One time I gave him a piece of chicken and he snapped and went through my finger. He is constantly hungry. He plays and loves to be petted, but for 2 years I have had to clean up from him everywhere. He always was good with the litter box, but ever since this sickness, he stops and goes. If you feed him can food it goes right through him, so i keep him on dry. The meds just make it worse when their suppose to help. I cant do it no more, but I cant put him down when he he plays and purrs and loves. I had the test ran again, For him to have lymphoma for 2 years and still going was hard to believe he had it. I love my cats. I just put my oldest buddy who was 23years old down. I have another Dude who is 19 in heart failure. I cant keep scrubbing down the basement or the everywhere in the house, But I cant put down Rusty when he plays , purrs and loves as if nothing is wrong. There has to be something to help with the diareah, I know my spelling bad. sorry. I cant do this for another 2 years or more. any advice would be helpful Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello, I am so sorry you are dealing with this with your beloved cat. My heart goes out to you.

Having taken care of cats with chronic illnesses myself., long term, I know how difficult and exhausting it is. And the emotional roller coaster takes it's toll too.

Do you have a close friend or relative who would be willing to foster him for you? This means you would continue to pay for his care, and perhaps visit him every day, and even take him to the vet, while the other famliy provided the daily care.

That is, if you think he is adaptable, and capable of coping with the stress of adjusting to a new home and not being with you. Only you, who knows him best, can judge if he could manage that kind of arrangement.

Or could you get someone to come in on a daily basis to help you?

Taking him to a shelter, in my opinion, would be devastating to him, and he would probably be euthanized anyway.

For my cats I would chose euthanasia, in my arms, over any kind of rehoming, if I was unable to care for any of them any more.

I really hope and pray you can find a way to get some help in his care, and keep him at home where he belongs until his quality of life deteriorates.

But if you can't find help, and you can't care for him anymore, letting him go, in your arms, rather than in a cold cage with strangers in a shelter somewhere, is, in my opinion, the better choice, what's best for him.

Perhaps all you need is a little encouragement and support to go on with his care?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

What about a second opinion? I don't mean a second opinion to test of your beloved baby has lymphoma, but a second opinion as far as any treatment that could help his disease and aalso diarrhea. If prednisone makes him lose hair and get sores, maybe there is another choice. As far as diarrhea, I have heard of cooking chicken breast, boiling it in water to make a soup. Then making white rice. Chop or shread the chicken in tiny pieces, add the chicken and some water too cooked white rice. This should help bind him up. But please ask your vet for the right amount you should give. Also, someone told me that you can't use just rice, you have to do the chicken too--I don't quite understand why because it is the rice that helps bind up the cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-04-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Aunt Kitty thank you for posting this! I had addressed the diarrhea when I first started to reply but the website froze up and I lost my reply, so had to rewrite.

Another solution for diarrhea is a probiotic given daily. FortiFlora is usually the probiotic of choice of vets for what you are dealing with, it is a powder that is sprinkled right over the food, very tasty, cats love it, most cats I mean. There are also gels such as pro bios or benebac.

I definitely agree with Aunt Kitty, on seeing another vet.

Please keep us posted.
Unread 10-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

millydixie is on a distinguished road
Default re lymphoma

Thank you for your replies. I will check into the powder. I would never give rusty to anyone. Hes family. I am just tired. My ex left me and cleaned out our bank accounts and left me with 3 dogs and 7 cats. I dont mind having my babies but its expensive in food, litter and care. Most of the cats are old. One is 19, 15, 11, 9,. My 15 year old use to be 16 pounds and now I find out he is in kidney failure. So now I got 3 that are sick. Rusty is the youngest cat I have ever had sick like this. Where I live there is no vet with a heart with someone who has multiple pets for cost. Believe me, I called everywhere. Even tho I will still get them the care they need. Its hard when you finally get things cleaned up and when I sit to finally take a break you hear rusty going bathroom. With lymphoma they look like skin and bones. The vet said they would put him down for me but even one of the techs agreed with me that as long as hes playing and happy let him live his life. Theres no way I could put him down. Just thinking of it is so wrong. But then I wonder if he is hurting because he is hungry constantly. But he doesnt cry in pain or anything. He has ruined my carpet. I couldnt let any one care for him. Personally who would want to when he messes everywhere. At times I get to the point and say enough no more then look at him and he purrs and cuddles up like nothing is wrong and I just cry. He acts normal in every way a cat does. I honestly didnt think he would last 2 years with lymphoma. But his his life is just as important as anyones. Thank you for listening.
Unread 10-31-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

couponchaser is on a distinguished road

Have you tried Quality of Life Labs, Kinoko Gold AHCC,there's a online store that sells it cheap?Good for humans and pets.

Tags
advice , age , baby , box , care , carpet , cat , cats , clean , cold , diarrhea , dogs , dry , food , foster , great , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , lost , love , new home , opinion , pet , playing , shelter , sick , sickness , stress , test , vet , water , weight

Sponsored Cat Links