It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

allergiesanon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy I feel so evil :(

I was raised with a ton of cats, and was a total cat lover until i became allergic at the age of 16, then i became a dog person...

Now i'm old and alot of my allergies seemed to have calmed down a bit, and i thought i would try a russian blue...

about 5 days ago i got a 2 month old russian blue kitten with 1/4 bengal in it, and i don't recall life being like this when i was young and had many many kittens over the years...

the kitten was supposedly litter trained when i got her, but she WILL NOT go in the litter box and fights and scratches at me when i put her in there...

she was supposed to be good with dogs and she hates our dog even tho our dog is a little gentleman with her

i'm so scratched up, and i'm allergic to every single little red gash, and i find myself getting angry at the poor little kitty for hurting me, and i'm thinking that maybe i don't DESERVE a cat if i can't handle her...

the scratches hurt like crazy and i don't WANT to be scratched anymore, granted i am a nervous sort of person and don't handle life very well, but pets are supposed to HELP that sort of thing aren't they?

she is so wrangy, she runs around the house, up and down the couch and chair and UP AND DOWN ME, faster than i could ever catch her and stop her from scratching me... i have hundreds of itchy painful scratches all over me, and frankly i don't know what to do

i simply can't live with a cat that won't go in the litter box, my brother had cats like that and THE STENCH WAS OVERWHELMING, and how long does this scratching go on with a kitten? before it grows up a bit and realizes it's hurting you?

i have been watching for a cheaper russian blue for almost two years, now i've got her and i'm so disheartened... please help if you can? i know my mother did all the training of cats when i was young, so it's true i have no idea what i'm doing.

i'm thinking the cat won't go in the litter box because it hates the dog and wants to mark territory, if that's the case, i can't keep her.

everybody on the net says it's so easy to train a cat to use a litter box, just show her where it is repeatedly, well i've done that for 5 days, and it's no use...

what should i do? i feel evil because i'm starting to resent the sweet little thing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-11-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

Talking oh thank GOD!!!!

my little fiend finally went in the litter box!!!!! totally out of the blue, and a spray bottle is helping with her other training and she's calming down somewhat, oh gosh i'm sooooo happy!!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-11-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome and congratulations on your new baby.

What are you using the spray bottle for? It should not be used all that often. The most important thing you need to remember now is that your kitten is only a baby. She doesn't know how to behave, you have to teach her, but you have to teach her with love and patience and kindness, not anger and vindictiveness.

8 weeks is very young, way too young to have left her mother already. She did not receive the proper socialization skills she would be learning in the next 6 weeks through her mother and litter mates.

You have to be all of those things to her now.

First in the next few weeks as she begins to feel comfortable, and begins to grow, she is going to need a ton of attention.

A ton of interactive play time.

My kitten is 4 months old today. She also lost her mother too soon, at four weeks old in fact, I rescued her.

She has three older cats who dote on her and play with her a lot and are teaching her how to be a cat, and yet she still needs at least two half-hour interactive play sessions with me every day, to keep her happy, well adjusted and out of mischief. A kitten who does not get enough attention will get into trouble.

Never ever use your hands or feet or any body part during play. Always have some kind of toy in your hand. When, even if you are using toys, she bites or scratches you, the proper way to teach her this is wrong is to tell her firmly (but not yelling) "No kitty (use her name)" and turn your back on her. Ignore her for a minute or two, then resume play or petting. A slight hiss can also be used.

You don't want to frighten her, just teach her.

After three times of having to stop and correct her, get up and walk away from her. If possible shut the door of the room you are in and leave her there for just a few minutes.

Then open the door and go about your business. This is how a mother cat teaches her kittens how to behave.

She will need her own furniture to scratch on and jump and play on. A sturdy cat tree and a variety of other scratching toys are a must. Some cats like to scratch flat surfaces some like to scratch vertical. Some like sisal some like carpet or wood.

When she scratches your furniture you simply pick her up gently and bring her to her OWN furniture and show her how to use it. In fact, you can use it yourself, cats are the original copycats and if she sees you stretching and scratching on the cat tree, she will want to try it too.

Incorporate the cat tree in her interactive Games by tossing her furry mice or crumpled paper ball up on it for her to climb and chase, and drag her string-on-a-stick up it, also.

It is important to remember that cats do not respond to discipline like dogs do. Cats can be trained, but it is very different from training a dog.

Never leave your dog and kitten alone together. When she is older and you are sure the dog won't ever hurt her this can change, but not now.

make sure the litter box is in a place she can access easily. She is a baby and will not always realize in time that she has to go. By the time she does realize it, it may be too late for her to make it to the litter box.

Two litter boxes should be available at all times, and kept scrupulously clean. Cats hate dirty bathrooms.

Get in the habit now of touching her paws so that you can start trimming her sharp little claws. I trim my kittens claws every week. At first I had to wrap her to do it, but now she allows it, in fact barely notices when I pull her on my lap and snip snip snip, before off she goes on her important kitten business.

What's her name?

I'm out of time just now, but will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Last edited by acerlt; 10-11-2010 at 09:31 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-11-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

toddmdl is on a distinguished road

You might have been better off adopting an adult cat from a shelter. Adult cats typically know how to behave. They know to use a litterbox and to not scratch and bite all the time. They are typically more mellow. Your kitten will calm down as he gets older. I hope the best for you and your kitten.
Unread 10-11-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Hello!!! thanks so much for answering, the scratching post never occurred to me until yesterday and it was canadian thanksgiving so i couldn't go out and get it, i will go tomorrow as the shops are closed now...

the water bottle only got used a couple of times when she was chewing on all my computer cables, i didn't want her to end up getting electricuted... tho she seems to have learned quickly from the water bottle...

i have been playing with her with a couple of dangly things to keep her attention away from my hands, but she's a clever little girl and follows it up to my hand and then my arm and usually attacks there... but i usually play with her EVERY time she gets fiesty, but when i tell her 'no!' she usually gets her feelings hurt and runs away to play with something else..

we live in a very small trailer and there's no other place to put a second litter box, but i put her in there when i got out of bed and she used it no problem, what a RELIEF!!!

i didn't know 8 wks was too young to leave the mother, it was actually more like 7 wks because she will have her 2 month birthday tomorrow....

i am touching her paws when she is sleeping, and she sort of wakes up and doesn't mind, but if i try to touch them when she's awake and feisty she will just scratch me up, i think i will go and look at the grocery store to see if they have cat toys..

thanks so much for your very educational letter!!! it helped immenesly
Unread 10-11-2010   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome. Oh yes, you definitely don't want him in among the wires. That may become more of a problem when he gets to be four or five months old and begins teething. (adult teeth coming in). You can try bitter apple on the wires, or cover them with pipe insulation tubing, or tubing that is specific for covering wires. I'll look up some links on those for you if you want.

Be sure to never use anything that looks like or feels like wires to play with him.

One thing you can give him to chew on and play with are plastic bendy straws. Just inspect them daily and snip off the chewed up ends, and throw them away when they get too small from snipping.

Also there are cat chew toys, look for toys that have little netting around them, that he may like to chew on. Cats also LOVE card board boxes, and some will chew on those, so give him a couple of Box Forts. Tear the flaps off one, so he can chew on the edges if he wants.

like this:

and here is an example of a box fort:

For a scratching post you want some thing tall and sturdy, not those little two foot things, those aren't very useful at all.

You can make a kitty condo out of cardboard boxes too, taping them together, cutting holes to make tunnels and rooms and path ways and such.

Can't take any more time here tonight, but will be happy to continue offering you any help and support you may need.
Unread 10-11-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

hello, i forgot, her name is audrey, and i have got about a zillion computer cords, do i have to cover them all with what? lol audrey is trying to help me type...

iplay w/ a bath tub chain w/ her she sems to have fun w/ it... oh gosh i'm having trouble typing and playing lol

also to the other respondee lol i did have my eye on an abysinnian at a local pet shelter, but the shelter didn't respond fast enuff, as i had to go and get the kitten

teething GREAT, had forgotten that babies do that, i have no kids lol... we've got plenty of cardboard boxes, will make a maze for her under the dining room table, thank you again!!!
Unread 10-15-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

acerlt i just wanted to say thank you for aaaallll your fantastic help on both of my threads, thanks to you, little Audrey and I are getting along well, and having a grand old time, you are extremely helpful and wise and i'm extremely grateful to you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to allergiesanon For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-16-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

You're welcome, thanks for coming back to update. So glad to hear you and Audrey are getting along well! (sorry I called her a him in on of my replies)

We'd love to see pictures of little Audrey and especially of the cardboard box maze when you make it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-16-2010   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

how do i post a pic here? oh i see the icon, nm lol.... i had a kitty condo but we turned out to need the box to return some of her stuff, will have to get the right kind of box again lol ok, here's a pic of Audrey looking as michievous as she is lol ok it said i can't because i haven't posted 25 messages sorry about that! you can see my cat on my photoblog which is at totallylike(dot)me just replace the (dot) with a period... i think she's on the second page, scroll down etc

Last edited by allergiesanon; 10-16-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: to tell where to see my cat

Tags
age , allergic , allergies , angry , bengal , bite , bites , box , carpet , cat , cat toys , cats , clean , computer , crazy , cut , dog , dogs , eye , fast , fights , fun , girl , hey , house , hurt , kitten , kittens , kitty , litter , litter box , litterbox problems , lost , nervous , person , pet , play , playing , scratching , shelter , sleeping , small , stop , training , type

Sponsored Cat Links