It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-13-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

allergiesanon is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Scratching!!!!

I've got a new kitten and she is scratching me to a bloody pulp, and i'm mildly allergic and it is soooo painful, i thought it would stop as i tried to train her but she doesn't appear to be behaving any differently than she did a week ago, she's only 2 months old, but i'm talking to a friend on the net and she says to get rid of the cat now if i can't take it, because the scratching will only get worse and deeper as the cat ages... now i grew up with cats, and i don't remember adult cats scratching their way up my body and scratching my face awake, and scratching my hands every time they move... but this woman says it won't stop, and if that's the case i'm going to have to get rid of the kitten, can you tell me which one of us is percieving the truth? do adult cats scratch worse than kittens??
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-13-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

What a load of baloney! A kitten can be taught not to scratch, and you must learn to snip her sharp little claws, too. Your kitten did not have the benefit of being taught how to behave by her mama and siblings, so you will teach her.

She just hasn't learned how to keep her claws sheathed yet, that's all.

First, never play with her without a toy of some sort in your hand. ALWAYS have a toy in your hand or within reach. A 2 month old kitten needs a ton of stimulation and attention from you. If you don't pay attention to her as much as she needs, she will not learn how to behave.

When she scratches you, whether it is during play, or if you are trying to pet her, you tell her no firmly (use her name all the time) or make a hiss noise (and use her name) and turn your back on her and ignore her for just a minute.

Then resume your activity with her, but as soon as she scratches again, you do the same thing. After three times of you having to stop petting or playing with her, get up and walk away from her, shut the door of the room she is in, if possible.

Your kitten needs her own furniture for scratching on and climbing on. Use string on a stick type toys and drag the toy up her tree so she will learn to dig her claws into it.

Take her to a vet tech or groomer and have them snip her nails and teach you how to do it so you can keep those sharp tips snipped off. I snip Queen Eva's nails every week.

Yes, it may have been better for you to adopt an adult cat already trained, (I think someone said that in one of your other threads) but you didn't, this kitten is your now, and you have to teach her how to behave.

Don't yell at her, don't hit her and don't spray her for this. Just tell her no and turn your back and ignore her. You have to be absolutely consistent with this, every time she scratches.

And remember, you have to play with her, she needs your undivided attention many times during the day, to help her learn how to behave. Playing Games with her that let her run and jump stimulates her mind and body, uses up her tremendous kitten energy, and helps the two of you bond.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-13-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

allergiesanon is on a distinguished road

thank you so much!!! i thought i was remembering correctly that grown up cats don't claw you up, i guess this girl didn't train her kittens properly...

and oh guess what i DID trim the teensy little ends off of her claws tonight, i started preparing her two or three days ago, by massaging her little feet while she slept and i cut her front claws while she slept, just less than a millimetre off the end, a half a millimetre?

i try to play with her ALOT, and when she scratches 3 times after me saying no i put her on the floor and she runs away with her feelings hurt, i suppose i could lock myself in the bedroom if need be, to leave her alone...

thank you, you've made me feel so much better, i guess i should be careful whom i take my advice from aye?

Tags
adult , advice , allergic , cat , cats , claws , cut , fur , furniture , games , girl , hey , hiss , hurt , kitten , kittens , nails , new kitten , pet , play , playing , scratch , scratching , siblings , stop , tips , toys , type , vet

Sponsored Cat Links